Hello

TnProHunter

Reaction score
My name is Mark. I'm new here but not new to hunting. I have been hunting for nearly 40 years. I live in east Tennesssee. We have a large variety of game both large and small. And our "dangerous game" consists of mainly black bears and wild hogs, or Russian Boar, depending on which hunting area you happen to be in.
My big gun, and the one I always carry in areas containing Bears and wild hogs, is the Marlin 1895G Guide Gun, chambered in .45-70 Govt. I reload, which keeps costs reasonable, a d with a wide variety of bullets, from the Hornady LeveRevolution 300 gr soft point up to the Garrett 500 gr solids, as well as my own 475gr hard cast lead flat nose solids, I never feel "undergunned". I'd love to try it in Alaska in the big bears as well as on the Dark Continent against the Big 5 (or Big 6, with the rightful inclusion of the Hippo) while obviously being backed up by a PH with some large caliber persuasion! Any other Big Bire Lever gunners here? Lets talk about it!

Welcome to AH TnProHunter! Looking forward to having you here...

Glad to have you on board Tnpro. Sorry but I don't know anything about 45-70's. Good luck.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to the forum, and looking forward to your input. The 45-70 is one of the best cartridges ever made by man........ I don't know/think you will find yourself hunting the big five with it though, unless you can get it to 458wm specks, which in turn might destroy your beloved Marlin. Not trying to be a downer, you just may want to buy another rifle for the 5. Hell, just an excuse to buy another rifle, right.

Welcome..you will really enjoy this forum. The knowledge base here is fantastic with really good people!

Welcome to AH TnProHunter! As far as the 45/70 the only country you can legally hunt the big five is South Africa as of yet they do not have a caliber law and being a Sharpe's 45/70 shooter myself I would not recommend using the lever action on anything bigger then the lion or leopard if you can find an outfitter who will let you hunt with them at all for the big five and if you do as with the lion hunt I saw with a bow there will be several 375's and 458's there as well that will fire about 1 second after you do so then my question is this who killed the lion you or them? I know who's paying for it. Again welcome to AH you'll love Africa. Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you