Hello from Vermont

vthunter52

Reaction score
Hunted
Eastern, and Western US and Canada
In my search of Peter Hathaway Capstick, I came across this site, and it's most interesting. I/m a 63 year old retired wildlife biologist, and North Woods hunter of deer and bear and moose. I also have a large collection of Safari books and the classic hunting tales of the Dark Continent. While I will most likely never see Africa, for the last decades I have traveled to it's shores numerous times through the writings of Capstick, taylor, bell Sealous and other's. Looking forward to spending many hours learning from all of you......Gary

Welcome to the forums, while most of us may not admit it, Capstick was the reason many of us modern day guys thought about going to Africa.

Welcome to the forum sir. I hope you do get lots of enjoyment here.

In my search of Peter Hathaway Capstick, I came across this site, and it's most interesting. I/m a 63 year old retired wildlife biologist, and North Woods hunter of deer and bear and moose. I also have a large collection of Safari books and the classic hunting tales of the Dark Continent. While I will most likely never see Africa, for the last decades I have traveled to it's shores numerous times through the writings of Capstick, taylor, bell Sealous and other's. Looking forward to spending many hours learning from all of you......Gary

Vthunter52,

Welcome to the best forum.
I like books about Africa as well.
You may already have all of my favorites and then some but if not, a few of the many that are worth getting in my opinion are:

Jungle Man
An autobiography of Major P.J. Pretorius
(Resnick's Library of African Adventures)
Paperback 228 pages
Alexander Books.

The Perfect Shot
Doctor Kevin "Doctari" Robertson
Originally printed in hard cover and pocket/mini addition both.
Safari Press Publishing

Africa's Most Dangerous
("Doctari" Robertson again)

Elephant Hunters
Tony Sanchez-Arino
Hard cover
Safari Press Publishing

African Rifles and Cartridges
John "Pondoro" Taylor
Safari Press Publishing

Safari Rifles I
and
Safari Rifles II
Both by Craig Boddington
Safari Press Publishing

There are others but my fingers are tired and I'm pretty sure it's time for beer.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH Gary! It's still not to late to fulfill the dream hope you go and enjoy it.

gday gary , welcome to AH ,hope you enjoy the site

Welcome to AH.
Great place to do lots of reading. You may find the pull to go see it for yourself growing.

Welcome Gary! Peruse the deals section and you may find that a trip to Africa could be closer than you thought.

If you study up and shop hard for flights, use the gear you have, maybe nice pictures, some skulls and skinns rather than all out taxidermy and you could make it happen. Even consider the off season.... don't be afraid to open a dialog to find out what is possible.

There are some really great outfitters on here who like to make things happen!

Welcome to the forum Gary!

Having a former wildlife biologist on AH is a big positive, I truly hope you get to experience Africa_You wont be disappointed!

Regards

Welcome Gary, budget plains game hunts are within just about any ones budget, don't wait, start planning your dream. A friend of mine was 80 on his first trip and he went back with me at 82 and he's going again this year at 84!!

Hi Gary and welcome to AH! I hope you plant a boot in African dirt one day, but in the meantime I believe you have found the next best thing right here. Enjoy everything AH has to offer, especially the fine folks who are so generous with their stories and advice.
By the way, my aunt and uncle lived most of their lives in Brandon, VT. I used to spend summers there when I was a kid and spent more than a few days at the Rutland fair while my uncle was shoeing horses. You live in what I believe to be the most beautiful state in New England!

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Paarl in the Western Cape in South Africa. I have friends named Jim and Liz Roach that have a cabin in Vermont. I have visited once before and was amazed at the golf course that turn into a ski-slope during winter.

Welcome to the forum Gary, this is a family of hunters all in one!

Thank you one and all....this has truely been a warm welcome, and can see that I will enjoy being with you .....Gary

Welcome to AH, Gary !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois