Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I just found this site this evening and have been enjoying reading the threads. I would say I've been hunting all of my adult life, but my wife keeps reminding me that I've not yet grown up! So suffice to say I've been hunting for the last 23 years. I started hunting back east in Maryland and have hunted in Virginia, Texas, Iowa, Idaho and now in Arizona.

Last year at the Sportsman's Expo I booked a 6 day safari in South Africa with Ethan Thomas of Didimala Safaris. My wife and I and hopefully another couple will arrive on July 1st, 2010. A long ways off, but I'm beginning to think more and more about it. This will be my first trip to Africa and I can hardly believe I'm finally going.

My hunt includes Gemsbok, Kudu, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Black Wildebeest in the package. I'm also thinking of adding a Nyala or Waterbuck to the mix.

Any and all advice is welcomed. I consider myself an experienced hunter, experienced enough to know that I know nothing about hunting Africa.

Welcome Phil,
I am going on my first safari soon. The info provided on this and other sites is very helpful on a rather complicated process. Fell free to ask as many questions as you like. There are lots of very experienced people to help.

Hi Phil, I think you bought a great package deal! I'm going to hunt Waterbuck, Nyala, Kudu, Eland....etc. next month and can't wait to get to Africa. Which Province will you be hunting? There is a ton of information on this site. I would also look into whether you were going to have the taxidermy done in Africa or the USA and how you are going to ship it back to the USA. But initially I think you are going to have one heck of trip to Africa.

Hi Phil, I think you bought a great package deal! I'm going to hunt Waterbuck, Nyala, Kudu, Eland....etc. next month and can't wait to get to Africa. Which Province will you be hunting? There is a ton of information on this site. I would also look into whether you were going to have the taxidermy done in Africa or the USA and how you are going to ship it back to the USA. But initially I think you are going to have one heck of trip to Africa.

I'll be hunting in the Northern Cape not far from Kimberley. Concerning taxidermy, I was planning on having it done in RSA. My understanding if not mistaken is there is a one year quarantine on the hides so you might as well use the time to have the taxidermy done. Furthermore I'm told it is much cheaper to have it done there than here.

My first safari was about 60 miles west of Kimberly, Phil. I loved that area and the first morning I thought I was in Wyoming until I saw the ostriches. But fair warning, the frost was just as heavy as Wyoming and I wore my heavy coat all day on a couple of days. Cold or hot Africa is a wonderful place and I am sure you will enjoy every minute.

Welcome to AH PHOENIX PHIL! You have quite a list in your hunting package, a very nice selection of species. And it seems that you will be able to add some species to your package since you have been thinking about adding Nyala and Waterbuck to your list, my recommendation would be not worry too much about it unless your hunting outfitter needs to know of your selection by a certain date prior to your arrival... if this decision can be made during your hunting safari, I would suggest you to, of course, think about it but to leave the decision for when you are there on your safari... This decision should come very easily to you once you are there hunting after a couple of days and you might even end up with a species that you never even anticipated taking in the first place or taking an amazing opportunity in the matter of a split second just because it presented itself and you could not pass it... Not all of it has to be planned, your journey in Africa will bring you surprises.

There is no quarantine on the hides, they need some time to dry and cure properly with your hunting outfitter after which time, along with your raw trophies, they will be delivered to a local taxidermist of your choice (or recommended by your outfitter) for dipping, treating, packing and documentation in accordance with the importing countries regulations, process called dip and pack. This process can be relatively quick or slow, depending upon the season and how busy they are. You have of course the choice to have your taxidermy work done in South Africa, and as you already know it is usually cheaper...

My first safari was about 60 miles west of Kimberly, Phil. I loved that area and the first morning I thought I was in Wyoming until I saw the ostriches. But fair warning, the frost was just as heavy as Wyoming and I wore my heavy coat all day on a couple of days. Cold or hot Africa is a wonderful place and I am sure you will enjoy every minute.

When we get on the plane here in Phoenix it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 deg F, so we'll welcome the cold. Thanks for posting, that makes me feel good about the area we chose.

Welcome to AH PHOENIX PHIL! You have quite a list in your hunting package, a very nice selection of species. And it seems that you will be able to add some species to your package since you have been thinking about adding Nyala and Waterbuck to your list, my recommendation would be not worry too much about it unless your hunting outfitter needs to know of your selection by a certain date prior to your arrival... if this decision can be made during your hunting safari, I would suggest you to, of course, think about it but to leave the decision for when you are there on your safari... This decision should come very easily to you once you are there hunting after a couple of days and you might even end up with a species that you never even anticipated taking in the first place or taking an amazing opportunity in the matter of a split second just because it presented itself and you could not pass it... Not all of it has to be planned, your journey in Africa will bring you surprises.

That is the same advice that Ethan gave me, I guess that confirms it.

Hey Phil, A funny thing just happen while I was working on the site. I just came across your introduction post from nearly seven years ago, Apr 15, 2009 and had to resurrect it! Now 4,154 messages later and 1,530 likes received (551 more likes received than me :E Lol:) you are giving the helpful advice… Oh, how the African hunting bug can infect us… It's good to have you here.

Phil,
I never got the chance to welcome you the first time around... Lol.. Enjoy the site..

Hey Phil, A funny thing just happen while I was working on the site. I just came across your introduction post from nearly seven years ago, Apr 15, 2009 and had to resurrect it! Now 4,154 messages later and 1,530 likes received (551 more likes received than me :E Lol:) you are giving the helpful advice… Oh, how the African hunting bug can infect us… It's good to have you here.

Funny how that works isn't it? I certainly never anticipated at that time that some 7 years later I would have been two more times to Africa and just finished between DSC and SCI my 7th show working for Jacques @Hartzview Hunting Safaris. For that latter part, I definitely owe you Jerome as I'd have likely not met Jacques were it not for AH.

Phil,
I never got the chance to welcome you the first time around... Lol.. Enjoy the site..

Better late than never fhf, thanks!

Hey how about giving me a like for that so I can close the gap a little!

Welcome!!!

Just read and stay quiet for a while, then you can contribute.... :E Lol:

I like that @enysse was around back then! Sure shows how the site has grown and the welcome list has gotten longer.

Thanks Royal27, PHOENIX PHIL and BRICKBURN for the likes! (y)

Now I feel obligated! :LOL:

I like that @enysse was around back then! Sure shows how the site has grown and the welcome list has gotten longer.
I'm really enjoying this nostalgia… @enysse has been a member since January 2009 and has welcomed so many since then. It's because of friendly members like @enysse that AH has thrived. I cannot tell you how many people who I have met who've told me that they have joined because of how friendly and welcoming this community is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg