Hello from New Mexico

High Desert Hunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Lifelong hunter, mostly upland game and wildfowl until I was stationed in Alaska, love to chase Oryx, really want to finally take one, and hope it is with my 375 Ruger. I love to shoot, and I really love reloading, it was a great feeling knowing my own reloads accounted for my Caribou and Toklat Grizzly. I reload a multitude of cartridges. I dream of hunting the Dark Continent, and have since reading Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa.

Dave Beeman

Welcome to AH. Sounds like you will fit in quite nicely around here.

Welcome to AH Dave!

Thank you one and all!

IMG_0660.jpg

Welcome Dave! Time to make that dream a reality...

Welcome Dave,seems like you are really passionate.Time to start planning for your African hunt.

Welcome to AH, Dave !

HI Dave

Welcome to AH...

Where in New Mexico do you reside?

Welcome to AH.
If you like chasing those Oryx already you'll love to chase them in Africa.

It looks like you are working up quite the selection of cartridges.

Welcome Dave. I would love to hear more about the Oryx in New Mexico.

James, I live in Alamogordo NM, about 90 miles North of El Paso Texas, retired from the Air Force here in 2006, a job and the weather kept me here. SRD, our Oryx were transplanted here in the early 70s onto the White Sands Missile Range, the herd started with a few animals which were offspring of the original animals brought from the Kalahari, the herd has grown to the point where they say there are more wild Oryx in New Mexico than there are in the Kalahari. They are truly wild, and due to the lack of a natural predator, they have really thrived here, in spite of the cold temps we can get in the winter. They have spread North towards Albuquerque, and South into Texas. There are hunts for them the year round, on range hunts (on the Missile Range and adjacent military lands) are once in a lifetime hunts, which enjoy a fairly high success rate, off range hunts are anywhere in the state that is not considered "on range". Resident fee is around $163, non resident runs $1610, due to the now rapid spread of this non-native species, they are selling more tags than ever. When they were first being released, it was promised that the herd would be contained to the missile range, now, there are far too many Oryx-Man interactions which costs the military money and time, so they have talked about eliminating them completely on the missile range, off range, there have been objections in the past that allege the Oryx are driving out the mule deer, I think an over population of our big cats, the Mt Lion, coupled with almost 20 years of drought has more to do with the depletion of the mule deer herd. In addition to the Oryx, we have wild Aoudad, or Barbary Sheep as they are called here, and we have Ibex from animals that were a gift of the late Shah of Iran. I am finding that getting back into shape after a few years of medical issues is the toughest part to hunting here. Our draw system is a true lottery, with no points, but if one has the financial means, Oryx may be pursued with Land Owner Tags.

Thanks for the details on the Oryx. I knew they had a decent herd of them in New Mexico but I did not realize how widespread it became. For non-residents of New Mexico, it makes me wonder if it is cheaper to go to Namibia or South Africa to hunt one. Well, it is not really an apples to apples comparison because the New Mexico Oryx hunt would probably be so different.

You will love this forum - a great bunch of guys on here.

-Stephen

I don't think hunting them here is anything like hunting them in Africa, but that would be a guess on my part. I had a hunt in October, it was freezing cold in the mornings, and in the low 80s by afternoon. I did not tag out, but it was a great time hunting.

Howdy Dave!

Welcome to AH. That is a great book...

Brad

Welcome to AH, Dave!

Welcome Dave. GHofA is a great book among many. I think the only one I have read more times is Ruarks, Horn of the Hunter. You will love Africa when you get there.

gday dave welcome and enjoy the site .

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Welcome to AH!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you