Hello all! and hunting in Kenya..

MOV

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just found you all and have to say this site seems like an awesome resource! Will be poking around a lot more, but in the meantime my main question is about Kenya. Work is sending me out there to the Nairobi area for 2 to 3 weeks, and while I know big game hunting is not legal, I have seen some limited information about bird hunting. Anyone have any advice? Should I just take a weekend trip for some plains game in Tanzania or Mozambique instead?

I would take any opportunity I could make and/or afford to either Tanz or Moz! Have no idea about any type of hunting in Kenya.

Thanks, the more I read about this question in past threads, the more I think that's the best option too. I saw a site advertising bird hunts for $975/per day, which is such a joke for bird hunting. Straight up highway robbery. Will have to start researching some options outside Kenya.

hi MOV welcome aboard :D Beers: . yup just the bird hunting in kenya. i doubt its as easy as popping to tanzania or moz for the weekend as there usually are minimum lenghts of hunts for the licences. tanzania is 7 days i think, you can stay as few days as you want but still have to pay for all the days. not sure about moz but should imagine its pretty similar. i am sure simon @TMS can let you know more about moz. good luck

Ah ok I was hoping there would be some sort of weekend trip options, but those might not be available to non residents, at least that's what I'm starting to think. Really hope to find something like that tho, get some kind of action going on a weekend. Going to be in Africa with everything else paid for after all, can't squander that kind of opportunity! lol.. Thanks for the info!

Haha awesome, I don't think I'm fully realizing how many options are truly available. I hadn't even considered Zambia. Thanks for the input, I'll take a closer look. Based on your experience, what kind of options should I be looking into if I had $600 and a weekend? I don't really have any trophy goals (since that would be considerably more, which I can't really do right now), just want to experience some game and country.

mmm to be honest with $600.00 you could go to a lodge near lusaka, and go look at some animals and thats about it. but you can do that in kenya.........you wont get any hunting anywhere for $600.00 . sorry........

Yeah I guess that makes sense, as a non resident there are probably a lot of extra costs that I'm not considering. I'll still be doing some research and might up the budget a bit later on. Forgot to mention I'll be there in August, not sure what the season dates are over there. I guess optimally I would like a weekend bird hunt, since that's probably cheaper and I would still be able to get a decent amount of shooting in and see some nice country. Thinks for your help, and if you have anything else to offer I'm all ears!

try and see if anyone where you are going in kenya knows someone that bird hunts. for any hunting you will have to up your budget considerably. the cheapest daily rates are in sa and your talking $200.00 per day ,then even if you do a cull type hunt you still have to pay fees for animals taken........then you have the airfares to get wherever as well.....

Definitely going to do that, staying at a Doctors Without Borders hospital compound, hoping someone there has some ideas too. I can't imagine working in Africa and not trying to get out and see country and do some hunting so hopefully someone there feels the same way. Thanks for all the info you've provided, really appreciate it!

Welcome to AH MOV! Indeed just very little information regarding bird hunting in Kenya. Perhaps if you look into it while you are there you can provide some information to our community, it would be much appreciated. Glad to have you on the site!

Welcome MOV, enjoy the site.

Welcome to AH.

If you can't hunt, you should see some sites.

In August, the Serengeti wildebeest migration should be in the Masai Mara.

Amboseli is a nice National Park with Kilimanjaro as a back drop.

Both are reasonable drives from Narobi.

If you find a place to bird hunt, please post and let us know.

All the best.

Welcome to AH. Mov, we specialize in wingshooting in South Africa, from getting your barrels hot on rock pigeon to hunting guinea fowl and francolin over pointers. Duck and geese. We also do plains game hunting. In Mozambique we do more big game hunting. Please feel free to contact me about any help or information.

Typical mixed bag. Some rock pigeon.

Steve & Chris birdshoot ws.jpg
IMG-20140401-00676.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you