Has anyone hunted in the "tactical style" or military style desert boots?

mtomerlin

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA/Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation/SCI/DSC
Hunted
USA/Mexico/Argentina/Tanzania/South Africa
Heading back to The Selous next August. Looking for new boots. Both my Courtney and Russell boots were less than satisfactory. I have been looking at the several different makes of the desert boots like the Dannar Jackel. Thoughts? Experiences?

I've hunted in several different Danner boots. Not specifically the Jackal, but I have used warm and cold weather Danner boots. I've always been pleased with them.

Edit: I did have one pair that I was not happy with the sole. It started to come off after just a month of regular use. I sent them back to Danner, they fixed it free of charge and also sent me a certificate for a free pair of boots.

I hunted this summer in my issue desert boots from the Canadian Army. They worked for me in Afghanistan and in Congo. They are made by Boulet and really nothing special. The most important thing is that they are what my feet are comfortable with and they are well worn in. No blisters equals a happy day in the field.

not looked at those but the problem i find with these type of boots is that the soles usually are hard and not very flexible. just out of interest what were your problems with the other makes, as i have worn courtney selous boots for years and walked a long way in them and and they were great ,very comfortable.

Now use Desert high top British army desert boots. Very cool and comfortable and about half the weight of Courtney boots.

My Courtney stretched a bit and felt like my heal was sliding off to the side. Not so great when you are in the sand.

My Courtney stretched a bit and felt like my heal was sliding off to the side. Not so great when you are in the sand.

yup not good, what hide were yours? mine are ele and they moulded to my feet and never stretched at all even after being soaked or anything else.

I thought they were all Buffalo.

they are buffalo for the overseas export markets, but in african countries you can get them in ele hide and they are tough boots. took me years to wear them out and my new pair will probably out last me.....:)

I have been hunting and hiking for 2 years in my Danner TFX desert boots. Great boots, light weight, easy on the feet, good grip yet flexible soles, very quiet. I have spilled blood on them frequently gutting deer, and just stuffed them in the washing machine. The soles are wearing down now, but they have seen a lot of milage, so that's only fair. I would by another pair without hesitation.

I have been hunting and hiking for 2 years in my Danner TFX desert boots. Great boots, light weight, easy on the feet, good grip yet flexible soles, very quiet. I have spilled blood on them frequently gutting deer, and just stuffed them in the washing machine. The soles are wearing down now, but they have seen a lot of milage, so that's only fair. I would by another pair without hesitation.
+1 I have the same boots which I took to SA last year, and other Danners. They're generally very comfortable and lightweight. I like wearing an 8-10" boot for the anckle support. I can think of a few times my boots saved me from a twisted or broken anckle.

I've used my Bates 9" desert boots a couple of times. The suede doesn't like mud much. They do offer great ankle support though, and I can walk in them all day.

I have used Cabelas insulated kangaroo featherlite boots for years and find them perfect for my hunting style. They come in wide sizes as I have feet like snow shoes! Very light and easy to break in. 1 pair has been on 3 African hunts now and just came off a Texas deer hunt. Won't use anything else. Tried "custom mades" at DSC years ago- waste of money, tried 2 "Rockys", waste of money. These work for me. Very comfortable for me.

I have used Danner boots extensively.... good quality, durable with a good after sales service for repairs, resoling etc. for warmer environments I have had good results with both British Army high-leg desert boots and bizarrely the cheap Magnum desert boot. IMHO, the more conditioned your feet are, the better the boots feel!

I have the Jackal and like them. Very light and for me pretty comfortable. Lighter than my street shoes! I like to switch shoes at lunch time so I go back and forth with those and my Courteney kudu chuka's.

I have the Danner USMC GTX boots and they are very comfortable, but are a little on the heavy side.

I would look no further than Lowa boots.

I wear their Mountain GTX or Combat GTX boots for work, I'm a military working dog handler, so am on my feet and walking most of my days or nights. You can buy them and wear them straight from the box without any issues. Comfortable and functional.

They make a wide range of 'tactical'/military boots for most eventualities as well as walking/hiking footwear for everything between Everest expeditions to flip flops on the beach. Superb boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg