Hard Case for Rifle?

A TSA lock can be opened by airline personal...it a kind of universal lock, in the airline business. A TSA lock will have engravings stating that it is a TSA lock.

A TSA lock can be opened by airline personal...it a kind of universal lock, in the airline business. A TSA lock will have engravings stating that it is a TSA lock.

Why are we NOT supposed to use them on our rifle cases?

A TSA lock is a pitiful excuse of a combination lock approved by our Transportation Security Administration.

It allows TSA employees to unlock it with a special key.

According to TSA rules the owner of the luggage should be the only one with access to the firearm.

From TSA

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed.

Since every TSA agent has the special key for a TSA lock you should use a regular lock to "completely secure" the firearm.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Why are we NOT supposed to use them on our rifle cases?

Because once they have inspected it and see it locked, they want nothing more to do with it until it gets somewhere. I think its good they dont want TSA locks on it, too many people have those keys.

A TSA lock is a pitiful excuse of a combination lock approved by our Transportation Security Administration.

It allows TSA employees to unlock it with a special key.

According to TSA rules the owner of the luggage should be the only one with access to the firearm.

From TSA

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed.

Since every TSA agent has the special key for a TSA lock you should use a regular lock to "completely secure" the firearm.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

So let me make sure I understand this "logic"...

They want it "completely secure" but if they feel like it they will cut the locks and make it 100% not secured????

Why can't they just inspect it when you check it in at your departure airport and tag it as inspected before your put the locks on it??? Or is that what they are now doing?

It seems like there is no common sense in the TSA to me.

So let me make sure I understand this "logic"...

They want it "completely secure" but if they feel like it they will cut the locks and make it 100% not secured????

Why can't they just inspect it when you check it in at your departure airport and tag it as inspected before your put the locks on it??? Or is that what they are now doing?

It seems like there is no common sense in the TSA to me.
Yes that is what they now do. Inspect it, make sure YOU lock it with YOUR locks and take it back to the check in counter for check in. There is no reason for them to cut the locks if properly inspected and tagged and I have not heard of this happening though that doesnt mean it never has or never will.

Oh...and I guess the "multiple locks inside the case" idea is the way to go.

Great thinking on that!

Never a bad idea to have extra locks along in case one is busted or lost, that does happen.

I appreciate this thread.
going on first trip to africa. Need to take 2 rifles.
God-willing, it won't be near the only flight I make with guns, so difference
in prices of $250-$500 aren't a real big deal.
Thought I had my mind made up on a Pelican Case.
But, then looked at Cabela's Bullet Proof Heavy Duty.
Then I became unsure.

So, I visited this thread and saw the Tuffpak and now I am completely unsure.
Never saw a Tuffpak, but it seems like a great option.

My son and I will use the gun case as my 1 piece of checked luggage and his suitcase for both
of us, along with our carryon to finish it off. Looking at the Tuffpak, I see where you can get all
kinds of extra stuff in it also. So, on Delta, if we share our luggage this way, No luggage fees.

Tuffpak, Pelican, or Cabela's.......now, which one?

I appreciate this thread.
going on first trip to africa. Need to take 2 rifles.
God-willing, it won't be near the only flight I make with guns, so difference
in prices of $250-$500 aren't a real big deal.
Thought I had my mind made up on a Pelican Case.
But, then looked at Cabela's Bullet Proof Heavy Duty.
Then I became unsure.

So, I visited this thread and saw the Tuffpak and now I am completely unsure.
Never saw a Tuffpak, but it seems like a great option.

My son and I will use the gun case as my 1 piece of checked luggage and his suitcase for both
of us, along with our carryon to finish it off. Looking at the Tuffpak, I see where you can get all
kinds of extra stuff in it also. So, on Delta, if we share our luggage this way, No luggage fees.

Tuffpak, Pelican, or Cabela's.......now, which one?

If I could make a suggestion. Don't bring just one checked bag. Bring two and split your ammo up. If that one bag gets lost you could have the first couple of says messed up. Or you will have to borrow a gun from your ph.(at a cost) If $200-$500 doesn't matter for a gun case then don't let a $50 bag fee ruin it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could make a suggestion. Don't bring just one checked bag. Bring two and split your ammo up. If that one bag gets lost you could have the first couple of says messed up. Or you will have to borrow a gun from your ph.(at a cost) If $200-$500 doesn't matter for a gun case then don't let a $50 bag fee ruin it all.
good point.
I noticed, though, that the tuffpak had room to spare according to the video and had room for an ammo box in it. Thinking, if half the ammo goes in the tuffpak and the other in a piece of checked, that might work, but the total trip price, after taxidermy, shipping, airlines, etc seems to be around 15K, a bag fee probably is little to worry about.
My wife and I never travel with more than 1 checked piece between us and our carry-ons. I have been a missions minister for close to 15 years and learned to pack light going to China and Ukraine 35 times.

Was mostly wondering if the Tuffpak is worth the extra money with its ability to pack binos, rangers, and a host of other items in it?

Some airlines dont accept ammo in your guncase.

Some airlines dont accept ammo in your guncase.

I believe no one will let you put ammo with the gun. It has to be in a separate locked case.

It varies. The TSA doesnt care but some airlines prohibit it, others are vague on the subject. I have done it before with no issues and glad I did, as my luggage with most of the ammo once didnt arrive with the others but we had packed 20 rounds with the guns so were able to hunt until the luggage arrived. We had already lost one full day due to travel snafu's and would have lost another if we hadnt done that.

good point.
I noticed, though, that the tuffpak had room to spare according to the video and had room for an ammo box in it. Thinking, if half the ammo goes in the tuffpak and the other in a piece of checked, that might work, but the total trip price, after taxidermy, shipping, airlines, etc seems to be around 15K, a bag fee probably is little to worry about.
My wife and I never travel with more than 1 checked piece between us and our carry-ons. I have been a missions minister for close to 15 years and learned to pack light going to China and Ukraine 35 times.

Was mostly wondering if the Tuffpak is worth the extra money with its ability to pack binos, rangers, and a host of other items in it?

Not knowing if you have traveled for hunting before, I will speak as if you haven't. You could put your other stuff in your gun case if you wish. But traveling personal and traveling for hunting is a little different. Always assume the worst. If you have two diff. Caliber rifles spit it up between two diff bags. Bring a set of hunting clothes in your carry on bag in case your bag gets sent to China. You are correct about packing light.
I don't put anything valuable in my checked bag. A $300 set of binos or a $200 range finder is tempting someone to take it. I put that stuff in my carry on. Maybe I am over over doing it, but I don't want anything to ruin my hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Storm case, the latches are really nice and foam cuts well, walmart.com and save shipping. they ship to a store near ya. Buddy just got his last week and we cut the foam, use a cheap electric knife that sucker will get where ya want to go in one piece, if they put it on the right plane :cool:

I don't put anything valuable in my checked bag. A $300 set of binos or a $200 range finder is tempting someone to take it. I put that stuff in my carry on. Maybe I am over over doing it, but I don't want anything to ruin my hunt.

Good advise, I do the same. The binos can come in handy sometimes if you have a window seat too.

The only thing in my checked luggage is my clothes, ammo in a locked container with my fold out knife. Everything else in backpack including meds.

I would not put anything valueable in the checked baggage, it will eventually get stolen. Some airlines allow you to put ammo in the gun case, but don't count on it and bring a lockable ammo container.

Good advice here. I was curious about the TSA lock thing, so I emailed them about it. Here is their response:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding travel with firearms using Transportation Security Administration (TSA) - recognized locks.

On flights that originate in the United States, passengers may transport a firearm in accordance with 49 CFR ァ1540.111 under the following conditions:

the firearm must be unloaded;
it must be in checked, not carry-on, baggage;
it must be in a locked, hard-sided container; and
it must be declared to the airline.

Travelers may use any kind or type of lock for securing firearm cases, including
TSA - recognized locks. However, TSA does not recommend or endorse any specific brand or type of lock to use on firearm containers.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist with preparing for air travel. Passengers can go directly to these tips at www.TSATravelTips.us.

Travelers must go through different clearance procedures when crossing international borders, and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) strives to provide a high level of security and reduce inconvenience and delay.

Travelers departing a foreign country are required to comply with the customs and immigration exit procedures of that country. Passengers and their baggage are also screened for security according to standards established by the government of that country. As sovereign entities, foreign countries may establish their own security requirements for airports and air carriers that are not necessarily the same as those required in the Unites States.

Upon arriving in the United States from a foreign country, passengers and their baggage are first cleared for entry into the United States by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspectors. CBP inspectors cover matters of customs, immigration, public health, food inspection, and plant and animal health. After clearing CBP procedures, travelers may exit an airport or connect to a U.S. flight.

The CBP entry process does not include security screening for passengers making connecting flights in the United States. Before boarding a connecting flight, passengers and baggage arriving on international flights are required to pass through TSA's security checkpoint. The Aviation and Transportation Security Act established a strict requirement that Transportation Security Officers screen all passengers and baggage on flights originating in the United States and that checked baggage be screened by explosives detection systems.

International passengers may need a significant amount of time between flights arriving in the United States and the departure of connecting flights in order to accommodate retrieval of checked baggage, clearance through CBP entry procedures, and passing through TSA's security checkpoint. For this reason, we encourage international travelers and schedulers to allow ample time between arriving and connecting flights.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our website, TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Passengers can go directly to these tips at www.TSATravelTips.us.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross