Handloading Barnes TSX BT 165 & 168grain 30 06

Cam76

Reaction score
Evening A.H. Members
I recently Treated myself to a Sako 85 Deluxe in 30 06. I am new to hand loading and was wondering if anyone has a pet load or min/max powder charge for ADI AR2208 or AR2209 powders, loading Barnes TSX BT 165 & 168 grain projectiles. I also have Alliant RL 15 & RL 19 powders available. My barnes manual lists min/max for RL19 at 55.5 & 60grains respectively.

Yours Sincerely
CAM76

If you have not bought the bullets yet I would suggest the TTSX over the TSX and the 150gr TTSX for the 30-06. Do not seat the bullets close to the rifling. It does not work as well with Barnes bullets. Seat to the book length which is3.218". You need speed with the Barnes bullets for better terminal performance.
If you are in the states you can PM me and I will give you my phone number. I have done quite a bit of work with Barnes bullets in a number or cartridges and may be able to help you save some time/money.
That RL19 load is also 108% fill. You will need to vibrate the case and use a long drop tube to try and get it all into the case. You may not anyway.

Thanks Divernhunter
I am an Australian resident. So there will be a bit of time difference for phone calls. yes i have purchased some 165 & 168grain TSX BT. So will work with these for now. Knowledge on fill rates of powders is something i am short on. Can you suggest any powders suitable for these long projectiles? Firearms Dealer suggested Seating these projectiles 0.050"- 0.070" inch of the lands. Do you have any advise on this?

Well I can understand not calling. I really want to come to your country and get a water buffalo. Not sure I will be able to afford it.
Seat them to the book listed COAL. The barnes will actually get better accuracy(and not show over pressure) with them off the lands more. I have some .1+ off with basically one hole groups.
Not sure what powders you can get there but I would use H4350-55.5grs-97%, Win760 or H-414--55grs--91%, BL-C(2)--50.5grs-81%, IMR4064-50gr-95%.
These are max loads so drop down 1-2 grs and work up if you want. I do not and never had a problem. Then again I do not seat the bullets very close to the rifling. That reduces pressure.
The % is the load density which means how full the case is with the powder. You notice I did not show any over 100%. They are just too much work for what little you gain in FPS. The loads I showed are in order of FPS with the 1st being the highest. You WANT speed with the barnes.
The book does not show a load for RL15 but I have some other barnes sources that may. let me know.
One I missed AA2520-53grs-86% and one of the top FPS.

My best advise is to seat the bullets deep into the case. Usually down to where the last relief groove is showing or just showing. Also use TTSX and not TSX for the most reliable expansion and use 150gr bullets.

Remember barnes bullets act like a lead core bullet 30% heavier. So a 150 acts like a 196gr lead core bullet. The 165 acts like a 214.5gr lead core bullets. The barnes bullets are longer than other bullets and rifling twist can become a problem. Probably not in the 30-06 and 165-168 gr bullets. The longer the bullet the faster the twist needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you