Handheld GPS

TEX84

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone carry a handheld gps with them in Africa? Seems like it might be useful to keep track of where you are while hunting and in transit.

Everywhere I go.

Brickburn what model do you carry? What maps do you have installed? I always think about bringing mine but question if it will work etc.

Last edited:
Yup, a Garmin Oregon 500(?). I had it clipped to my belt during all hunts and tracked most trails though I lost track of several unsuccessful hunts. I did take position settings from all "shot" positions, if possible, and a waypoint of each animal recovery. Makes it fun to look on Google Earth to see where you shot and recovered your trophies.

I'm a low-tech guy who carries a handheld GPS device and spare batteries with me on most hunts. Not only is it handy for marking interesting waypoints it could be of great assistance in the event of a field emergency, of which I've had two over the years. Those two situations occurred long before GPS devices became available but they are what caused me to get one.

An emergency in the field is rare and may never occur in a lifetime. But if you're in a remote location of extreme conditions retracing a route back to camp with a GPS device can be far easier than with a map and compass, or by spitting in your hand and slapping it to guess at a direction.

Without lengthy particulars the two long ago situations occurred years apart in two different parts of the world. Both situations were in very remote locations with one occurring in the Arctic region. In that situation my Inuit guide and I were out hunting alone when he had an accident on his snow mobile. The result of his accident was a life threatening throat/airway injury. With the temperature being 40+ below in an area of limited visibility due to white out conditions I was not only concerned about rendering aid I was also a little uneasy about how we would get back to camp. A GPS device to retrace our route would have made things easier under such circumstances.

With combined effort we did make it back to camp. Since I had arrived in camp by way of being dropped off in a ski plane a distress call was put out on a camp radio requesting another plane. To make matters worse the weather conditions prevented an incoming flight for the following three days. Fortunately all turned out well.

I've only had two situations of serious concern while hunting, but a portable GPS is now something I like to take one along just in case.

Good hunting to you all!

I use it extensively in Moz and ended up upgrading with the Garmin fenix 3 Gps watch...

Satellite navigation, it is incredibly handy and dissapear son your wrist.

My best always

Yes, GPS can save plenty time and miles...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,