handgun hunting

tennis

Reaction score
Member of
NRA life member
Does anyone know what areas of Zimbabwe you can hunt with big bore .50 cal handguns, i heard that you can hunt tribual, private ranches and save conservancy?

Handgun Hunting in Zimbabwe

Welcome to AH tennis!

Handgun Hunting in Zimbabwe
zimbabwe_hunt.gif

Handguns are allowed for hunting purposes in some Communal (tribal) Land and Alienated (private) Land but not permitted in National Parks Safari Areas. A special permit which the safari operator must apply for a couple of months prior to the start of the hunt can be requested with the general director of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZPWMA). This special handgun permit comes at a cost. Your hunting outfitter should be able to assist you with your handgun permit.

Zimbabwe Hunting Areas
hunting_zimbabwe.gif

Detailed Map of Zimbabwe
(click on thumbnail to enlarge map)

National Parks Safari Areas - Handguns are allowed as a back up but not for the actual hunt.
National Parks Safari Areas are land in more remote marginal areas, unsuitable for agriculture but ideal for game and hunting operations on a sustainable off-take basis.

Communal (tribal) Land - Hunting with a handgun is permitted.
This scheme is known as CAMPFIRE (Communal Areas management Plan For Indigenous Resources). Communal (tribal) Lands are traditionally held by indigenous people. Government grants authority to local District Councils to assume responsibility for the management and utilization of the wildlife. With assistance from National Parks the council decides on a sustainable annual quota of animals to be hunted and offers them to safari (hunting) operators on a tender basis. The funds thus generated go to benefit local development, such as building bridges and schools and installing grinding mills, and also to compensate local families whose crop production has been reduced by marauding wildlife.

Alienated (private) Land - Hunting with a handgun is permitted at the discretion of the landowner.
Alienated (private) Lands are held by individuals. Game hunting quotas are based upon what the landowner deems appropriate and subject to the approval of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZPWMA).

For more info on Hunting in Zimbabwe click here.

Zimbabwe Major Cities
zimbabwe_hunting.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunting the Save Valley Conservancy

How about hunting in the Save Valley Conservancy?

tennis, As the Save Valley Conservancy is part of the Communal (tribal) Land (see map below), I would assume that handgun hunting is permitted.

hunting_zimbabwe.gif

Some Info...

1. Save Valley Conservancy
The Save (pronounced Sah-vey) Valley Conservancy is located in the South Eastern area of Zimbabwe (see map above) near the town of Chiredzi.

The Save Valley Conservancy was established in 1991 by a group of ranchers converting from unviable cattle production to wildlife. The goal of the project was to restore the land (wildlife and ecological) to its full potential, fences were removed forming the Save Valley Conservancy, almost one million acres, one of the largest private game sanctuary in Africa.

The Save Valley Conservancy is involved in the intensive protection of the rhinos, private game safaris, limited hunting concession and multi species research. The Save Valley Conservancy is a famous hunting destinations in Africa as this area is home to the Big Five as well as a range of plains game species and due to its abundant game populations.

2. Mahenye Concession
Mahenye is the original CAMPFIRE (Communal Areas management Plan For Indigenous Resources) area in Zimbabwe and the community has been involved in the hunting industry for more than 30 years. The Save River forms its' Western and Southern boundary of which 35 km is shared with Gona-re-Zhou National Park.

There are estimated to be more than 6000 Elephants in the Gona-re-Zhou National Park which is 5,500 km2 in size. The Elephant population has produced some extremely large tuskers, in the recent past including Dhulamithi, which means "taller than trees", and Kambakwe, both Elephant well over 100 pounds.

Last edited:
Keep the info coming.Thanx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you