Handgun Hunting in South Africa

Shadob

Reaction score
Media
Articles
It was so cold in Norway in the beginning of December - that we decided to let the norwegian animals "be free" of us, and jumped on the plane - and arrived the 7th December at my friends lodge Johan.
Hunt Africa - "An African Experience"

Andre choosed his Freedom Arms in .44 Mag/Mimek 300 gr/1250 fps.

watermark.php

and me - a TC in cal. 30-30 this time (it was years since last time I used a TC).

watermark.php

Before lunch the first day - I got two - and after lunch - seven.
Within the 6 days hunt I got 13.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Hornady 150 gr. SST/2000 fps/sighted in at 170 yds - was the "test-object" this time. All of the impala were shot at distances 70-170 yds., and if they did not fell down where they stood - they ran max. 70 yds.

watermark.php

Johan let me borrow a bike - so I had a "fair" chance to find
the one-horned Nyala`s and the one-horned Waterbuck - which was "wanted".

watermark.php

This was shot at 90 yds - and the bullet penetrated through. He ran 50 yds.

watermark.php

The waterbuck was shot at 120 yds - and ran 70 yds. The bullet hit in the front leg - and did not penetrate. The tracker`s did not find (did they really look after it???) the bullet

watermark.php

watermark.php

All of Andrè`s bullets - penetrated.

watermark.php

The last day - I borrowed Johan`s Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag - because I was so "fed up" of hunting with a rifle (he-he). A female with two one-year old "kids" - showed up at 80 m. I stalked them - and at 30 yds - the bullet (an old Norma factory 240 gr bullet) hit the heart, and he jumped as high as a springbuck, and fell down after 15 yds.

watermark.php

See you in April!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, some guys with the same train of thought as I! I used a Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger and an Encore in .308 for my main guns on my plains game hunt to RSA in late Sept. '09.

Very nice report.

Those are some nice animals you got there

regards
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg