Handgun Hunting in Africa?

WyoJoe

Reaction score
Is there anywhere a fellow can hunt plains game with a scoped handgun. I am thinking an Encore.

Countries that Allow Hunting with Handguns in Africa

First let me say that I am not so familiar on this subject so any input from other members would be great and if I am wrong on some of the info that I provided please correct me.

South Africa
Handguns are allowed for hunting purposes in some provinces of South Africa.

Any hunter wanting to bring in a handgun in this regard must submit a letter of intent with their SAPS 520 Form stating the handgun will be used only for hunting purposes. Hunter also needs to produce a letter from a registered association of his/her country of origin, stating that he/she is a registered member of the association and that the handgun will be used exclusively for hunting purposes. The application has to be submitted to the Central Firearms Control Register before arriving in South Africa as it needs to be pre-approved. Your application must be logged by the Central Firearms Control Register at least 21 days prior to your arrival in South Africa to enable the South African Police Service sufficient time to process the application and to submit the permit to the applicant to an address outside the borders of the Republic of South Africa.
For more information on AH about hunting in South Africa click here.

Here are the different Provincial Government in South Africa. Perhaps we can get an indication from members as to which provinces allow or NOT handgun hunting in South Africa.
- Eastern Cape Province
- Free State Province
- Gauteng Province
- KwaZulu Natal Province
- Limpopo Province
- Mpumalanga Province
- Northern Cape Province
- North West Province
- Western Cape Province

Zimbabwe
Handguns are allowed for hunting purposes in some Communal (tribal) Land and Alienated (private) Land but not permitted in National Parks Safari Areas of Zimbabwe.

A special permit which the safari operator must apply for a couple of months prior to the start of the hunt can be requested with the general director of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZPWMA). This special handgun permit comes at a cost.
For more information on AH about hunting in Zimbabwe click here.

Zambia
Handguns are allowed for hunting purposes in Zamibia.

Check with your hunting outfitter as you will require permission above the regular Temporary Firearms Import Permit (TIP) from the Wildlife Authorities.
For more information on AH about hunting in Zambia click here.

Mozambique
Handguns are allowed for hunting purposes in Mozambique.

We need more info on this from members and PHs / hunting outfitters from Mozambique.
For more information on AH about hunting in Mozambique click here.

Major African countries where hunting with a handgun is NOT allowed
Namibia, Tanzania, Botswana, Central African Republic, Benin, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso.

....I know you can use handguns in South Africa at least in the Limpopo, Northwest, & Eastern Cape Province!! I have friends that have done it in each of these provinces. My PH has been prodding me to bring mine, but I feel better using a rifle when if you draw blood you buy the animal!! Not that I'm a slouch with a hand gun by any means, but I'm one hell of a lot steadier with a rifle!!!
...A t/c encore should be a good hand gun to fit the bill! If I was bringing mine it would be an XP 100 in 308.

I just returned from E. & N. Cape Provinces where I hunted with my new 460 S&W. No problems whatsoever. I used Air 2000's wonderful service to steer me through the Bureaucratic stuff and will use them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you