Gunsmithing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ornery, Nov 21, 2013.

1. ornery

ornery BRONZE SUPPORTER

Hunted:
    South Africa
    Hey guys, nothing here in the way of solicitation. (I'm usually behind 5 weeks :eek:) Any questions or gunsmithing issues I can help with let me know and I'll do my best to give you my help (or at least my best guess :D). I am heading into my 36th year in the trade.

Blessings and good hunting to all.

Bill McKay
    McKay's Gun Shop
  2. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Hey thanks for the offer I think many here will appreciate it.
  3. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    Thanks Bill, just as we have a resident wally from upsidedownland, it'll be nice to have our own resident 'smith. While I'm here, what's the inch-pound torque on the action screws for a Ruger .375 wearing a Hogue stock..?
  4. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    gday bill ist wally from upside downland here, it good to have a smithey onboard , will definitely be borrowing your brain from time to time
    please excuse doc he is lactose intollerent and it looks like he put jagermeister on his cornflakes again this morning at breakfast
  5. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Thanks for the offer, I may be taking you up on that now and then.
  6. ornery

ornery BRONZE SUPPORTER

Hunted:
    South Africa
    Sorry for the slow reply....appreciate the welcome . I swear this IS the friendliest bunch of blokes I have met on the internet! How absolutely refreshing.

Docman, regarding torque on your action screws. Couple of things ....any barrel blocks or pillars? Torque is a guideline or a marker. You can over-torque action screws to their detriment. Once you over-stress the screw threads, you have lost optimum pressure. Range can be from 18inch/lbs up to 45 or 50 depending on the action / manufacture and so forth. I personally use a method taught me as an apprentice ( re-iterated many times from the master over my career). I place my cheek against the top of the driver as I turn that last bit. I have learned to feel the torque or tightness of the screw. Now I realize that isn't a specific answer, but it's how I do this. The torque driver is a good guide to keep one from over tightening. Place a piece of paper between the barrel and stock to help watch for too much flex when tightening stock bolts. If it was loose and then it tugs as you remove it you either went too far or your barrel wasn't floated properly to begin with. Listen to the action as it seats, ( this bit is mostly for precision rifles) you can hear the action set in the stock material. It really is a feel thing. Hope this helps:)

One more quick bit, this may ruffle some feathers but here goes.......most modern screws, (specifically gun screws) are crap. This is my observation. Proceed firmly but gently. Make darned sure your screwdriver fits and is of decent quality. (They are getting poorer in quality too.)
  7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Welcome to AH.

Damn, I just learned something again. Thanks.