Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Several local Sporting Clubs
Hunted
New Brunswick. South Africa, Namibia, Texas, Oklahoma
Has anyone run into a case where they were charged for an oversized baggage item, i.e., gun case. My cases measure more than the limits that most airlines allow which is 62 inches calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
I know I have flown before with the case I am taking to Africa and it measures 67 inches but have had no problems with it but that was before the airlines decided to try to get rich by charging for everything.
James

Has anyone run into a case where they were charged for an oversized baggage item, i.e., gun case. My cases measure more than the limits that most airlines allow which is 62 inches calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
I know I have flown before with the case I am taking to Africa and it measures 67 inches but have had no problems with it but that was before the airlines decided to try to get rich by charging for everything.
James

I have two gun cases that both exceed the 62 inch limit. It's in my mind a stupid rule as you basically can't meet that limit except with breakdown rifles such as a double. But in neither of my two trips to Africa did either airline break out a tape measure. If it met weight, it was good.

I'm with Phil here, the two different cases I've used have both exceeded the measurement limit, however since they met weight I was not charged either time.

Gun Cases are considered Sport and Special Baggage, where the rule of 62 inches does not apply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg