Greetings, Glad to be here

Don Colter

Reaction score
Greetings, my name is Don, I'm from Boise, ID. I'm so glad I happened on this website. My African hunting fever has been cooking for a long time and has come to a full boil. I have wanted to hunt Africa since I was a little boy, quite some time ago. Over the past few years I have read all the Ruark, Capstick and many Boddington books, which just stoked the fire. I have been reading everything I can find pretty much anywhere I can find it.

Finally this spring I was the winning bidder on a 7 day safari at the Wild Sheep banquet. The hunt didn't work out for the summer of 2015, but I am scheduled to start July 4, 2016. The safari is in the Limpopo area of South Africa. I am planning on a few days in Kruger and some other activities, although I don't know what. My wife isn't a hunter, but is planning on going with me, so it needs to be more than hunting.

I picked up my CZ 550 in 375 H & H today, so I am getting even more excited, and hate to have to wait another year.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Don

Welcome to AH Don. You picked a real classic to hunt with in Africa. Looking forward to a hunt report from you in the future.

Welcome to this site @Don Colter

It happened for you to find this site, by reason and you joined by choice!!! What a good choice, you will make plenty new friends and contacts. Hear a lot about African hunting and stories to add to your existing Ruark, Capstick and so the list continues.

All the best!

Welcome Don.
Have fun getting the CZ set up and ready to go.

What are you planning to hunt?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Brickburn, the safari comes with Warthog, Impala, Common Duiker and Black Backed Jackal. I want to also hunt Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck, Gemsbok and maybe Zebra. I know the Kudu is a classic, but I feel drawn to the Nyala and Bushbuck. Don't think I will take all the extras I mentioned. Whatever I have an opportunity at will be great. I would really like to take a Cape, but that will be some other time after I fill my bank account a little fuller.

Welcome to AH Don! Glad you found us, the site may relieve some of the pain or just increase the anticipation… It will certainly give you something to focus on with members who understand.

Glad to have you here! Welcome... Very good Kudu in Limpopo and you should have no problem with a zebra... And for sure try for a Limpopo bushbuck if they have them... Just be sure to hunt before you visit Kruger! The Kudu in Kruger will keep you up at night dreaming! The bodies are the size of Eland and they just lean their heads back a bit to scratch their asses. Limpopo is not the natural area for Gemsbok, although an outfitter may have some?... You want to get to the Kalahari for the ultimate or the Karroo for good ones. Nyala will be available in places but may be expensive.

Do youself a favor and research on here to know what prices to expect for those extra's... Hopefully you are going with a reputable outfitter but I met a guy who had bought an auction hunt and the outfitter was telling him a kudu was $4500! and then he offered him a deal for "only" $3500... Do your research and you will see what a rip off that was.

Welcome to the site sir. Action Bob is right check things out in detail before you go. Ask a lot of questions before you go.

Welcome to AH Don! I think your making a good choice to take some time in Kruger. It's sort of the Yellowstone of South Africa or perhaps Yellowstone is the Kruger of the U.S. I would recommend you do this at the front end of your trip. I know you'll be anxious to go hunting, but this will give you some time to acclimate to the time change. This is what I did with my non-hunting wife on my first trip. Did I mention that my non-hunting wife killed an impala on our last day?

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH, Don !

Thanks for all the greetings. I am scheduled with Graham Sales Safaris. Does anyone know about him?

Welcome Don ! You might as well fit in an Eland and get your spiral horn slam !

Hey new to the site. Going to SA at Melaroni this August . Found the site trying to learn more about my up coming hunt. I guide Bear Hunters in north Wisconsin so this is going to be a real treat!!

Welcome to AH Don! You and your wife will have a great time enjoy the hunt.

welcome to AH ,don
hope the fireworks , go off from the onset of your adventure ,next year
enjoy the site
clever plan ,taking the cook ,with you mate............

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.