Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, Handgun Hunters International, Quail Forever, SCI, DSC, DU
Hunted
USA (MS, LA, WV, CO, TX, AL, AR, & NM), South Africa, New Brunswick, Canada
Hello all,

My name is Rob and I live south of Jackson, MS. I have been to Africa, although it has been much too long since that trip and I am trying to remedy that now.

I mainly like to shoot big bore handguns and rifles, but if it goes bang, I like it. I hunted in Africa with a .375 and .309 JDJ in T/C Contenders as well as a .454 Casull by Freedom Arms. I have hunted in several states across the US for elk and black bear on down to groundhogs. I have been blessed to meet many fine people on these hunts.

I have a small civil engineering and land surveying practice and am licensed as an engineer in MS, LA, AR, NM, WV, and VA; and as a land surveyor in MS and AR. I also like to perform live music and play several musical instruments.

If any of you wander off this way, let me know and I'll be glad to meet up for a cup of coffee, or assist you in any way I can.

All the best!

Welcome to the posting side of AH.
AH will remedy the return issue....

What did you hunt in Africa on the last visit?

Welcome!!!

I think youve already found our big bore group. You will fit in great here. :)

Welcome to AH, anybody that shoots a 475 Linebaugh and 375 JDJ is akright in my book!
Cody

Limpopo Bushbuck, Zebra, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Kudu, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Eland, and Common Blesbok.

Thanks for the welcomes! This is a great site and I look forward to enjoying my time here.

welcome

You took all those with a tc contender and pistol. That is a great group of animal to take any way.

Maybe you can let some guys know what it was like taking those weapons over there.

welcome

You took all those with a tc contender and pistol. That is a great group of animal to take any way.

Maybe you can let some guys know what it was like taking those weapons over there.

I recommend using one of the companies to help get your firearms through customs. Also, communicate with your PH and outfitter and follow their advice to make your life easier. There were some extremely anxious moments when my gun case did not show up at luggage pickup. I was approached by an airline worker and had to pay them off to get my guns back. Also, have all your paperwork in order and have copies of it handy as well.

It is my understanding that one can not take a domestic flight in South Africa with handguns. I did conceal carry my .454 while there and almost had to use it to prevent getting mugged during a stop for petrol. I don't believe one can do that anymore. Anything to make life easier for the criminals.

This is one time I agree about using a gun service for paperwork. I could see how taking any kind of weapon they don't know well could cause problems.That is to bad they made it so hard at the airport that you had to pay someone off.

This is one time I agree about using a gun service for paperwork. I could see how taking any kind of weapon they don't know well could cause problems.That is to bad they made it so hard at the airport that you had to pay someone off.

This guy was just crooked and knew I had no one to report him to that would have done anything about the situation.

The next trip will be with a TuffPak and possibly rifles, unless the restrictions are eased, which we all know the possibility of that happening. Besides, I have several rifles in African calibers that would like to make the trip.

Hit man I was in Jackson Friday night. Hope your next hunt will be a great one. Give us all a hunt report when you go or perhaps share what you can about your last hunt.

You can still use the type of handguns you took for hunting previously. Using one of the gun permit services will indeed help you bypass some of the crap that is sometimes pulled. The only handguns that I believe are banned are the autos that would be seen as more for shooting something other than animals.

Welcome to AH!

Limpopo Bushbuck, Zebra, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Kudu, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Eland, and Common Blesbok.

Thanks for the welcomes! This is a great site and I look forward to enjoying my time here.

hi rob welcome. only thing is i see you are missing is my favourite animal in your list ;)

My hunting partner on the trip took a Sable. It killed one of the catch dogs before he or the PH could finish it off. Those are so tough antelope, and a very worthy trophy.

My hunting partner on the trip took a Sable. It killed one of the catch dogs before he or the PH could finish it off. Those are so tough antelope, and a very worthy trophy.

:E Head Scratch::E Hmmm:now how did you work out my favourite is the sable ??? ;):E Big Grin::D Beers:

Hi Rob, if you live just south of Jackson I suppose we are neighbors.
I live just across the Pearl River from Byram and I work as a pharmacist down in the Hazlehurst area.
Welcome to the site. I would enjoy getting together and talking some hunting and shooting.
blessings,
Jerry

Hi Rob, if you live just south of Jackson I suppose we are neighbors.
I live just across the Pearl River from Byram and I work as a pharmacist down in the Hazlehurst area.
Welcome to the site. I would enjoy getting together and talking some hunting and shooting.
blessings,
Jerry
I am actually in the Florence area, so it looks like we are both in Rankin County.

I'd like very much to get together and tell lies, oops I mean hunting tales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH, Rob !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois