Greetings from behind the Redwood Curtain

Bruce Fletcher

AH member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was looking up ballistics numbers for 9.3 x 62 and fell down the internet rabbit hole and found myself at Africa Hunting. My dream is to be able to go to Africa one day and hunt some plains game and possibly some dangerous game as well. I live in Northern California about 80 miles south of the Oregon border in a town called Eureka. When people think of California they normally don't think of this area. Our town is the biggest for 160 miles around and we have a population of 29,000. I live at the edge of town and we have black bears, coyotes, fox, black tail deer and the occasional mountain lion come through the neighborhood. Most of our area is covered by forest. This area has the tallest trees on earth with tallest about 400 feet tall and was a seedling during the time of Christ. There are some Elk herds in the area but they are protected. A very few tags are issued by lottery every year. I enjoy hunting and fishing but don't do enough.

Welcome. I don't think you could find a better group of folks to help you reach your dream. The knowledge and resources certainly helped me reach mine.

If you have any questions there is no shortage of people wiling to go out of there way to help you get the information.

Cheers,

-John

Thanks John,
I hope to fulfill that dream one day. I would love to find out what springbok backstraps taste like. I appreciate the welcome

rgds
Bruce

Welcome Bruce! That rabbit hole lead you to the right spot. Hope you can begin turning your dream into a reality with the help of the folks on AH.

Welcome into Wonderland!

Have fun planning.

Welcome to AH, Bruce!

Welcome to AH from Minnesota

Welcome to AH Bruce! Glad you found us… I have had the privilege to recently see the beautiful sights of the Redwoods where you live. Some amazing places in this world and the Sequoias are truly one of the "must see".

Last edited:
Another welcome from MN! A lot sounds similar to me... I too love hunting and fishing but do not do enough.

Just got back from our first trip to Africa this spring and I'm hooked... It allowed to me to totally get away and relax and just concentrate on hunting and taking in all the sights, sounds, smells... It is all unique. Totally hooked and already trying to find the time to get back.

Been to the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite a couple times to see the Red Woods and I understand some of those claim to have the largest bulk but your trees are taller. Those trees are certainly one of the great wonders of the World and MUST be seen to be comprehended and fully appreciated. Last time we were there our youngest son went from wining about having to look at more trees and "I'm bored" to seeing his first Red Wood and "OOOOOOOHHH! Can I take pictures?!"

You surely live in a beautiful and unique place.

And your going to love this site and it will be fueling your dream. Have you checked out the deals section yet? Be careful you will be drooling over some of those.

Hello,
I was looking up ballistics numbers for 9.3 x 62 and fell down the internet rabbit hole and found myself at Africa Hunting. My dream is to be able to go to Africa one day and hunt some plains game and possibly some dangerous game as well. I live in Northern California about 80 miles south of the Oregon border in a town called Eureka. When people think of California they normally don't think of this area. Our town is the biggest for 160 miles around and we have a population of 29,000. I live at the edge of town and we have black bears, coyotes, fox, black tail deer and the occasional mountain lion come through the neighborhood. Most of our area is covered by forest. This area has the tallest trees on earth with tallest about 400 feet tall and was a seedling during the time of Christ. There are some Elk herds in the area but they are protected. A very few tags are issued by lottery every year. I enjoy hunting and fishing but don't do enough.

Greetings Bruce and welcome to the best forum,

Yours truly knows exactly where Eureka is.
Born in LA, but when I was still young and wild, I was a Deputy Sheriff up in Colusa County.
The 9.3x62 is one of the very best cartridges ever dreamed up for African PG and legal even for DG in some countries.

I like it so much that I had one built on a 1950s FN Mauser.
Haven't taken it to you-know-where yet but one day I will (seems about right for larger PG like zebra, gul dang wilderbeests, eland, etc.).
One of my amigos has twice taken the 9.3x74R over there (ballistic twin of the rimless 9.3x62) and declares it "perfect".

Here in this forum, you will find some very good deals on hunting trips for Africa and other places around the world.

When ready to seriously shop for a safari, speak much with the outfitter or PH about how much land is involved, what species are common there, animals trucked in as opposed to wild/self sustained populations, any bird hunting or fishing available, also speak very much with references before making your down payment.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH, Bruce !

Welcome to the forums. It's a shame most people just think of California as Los Angeles and San Francisco, the rest is just fly over country. Too bad CA is a beautiful state.

Welcome to AH Bruce! Enjoy the site.

Welcome!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH sir. I hope to see your redwoods some day. Hope your dream of hunting in Africa comes true very soon.

Welcome to the forums. It's a shame most people just think of California as Los Angeles and San Francisco, the rest is just fly over country. Too bad CA is a beautiful state.

+1.

Welcome to the best Hunting Forum on the web Bruce. Glad you joined in and hope to see you in Africa soon!!!

Welcome to AH Bruce :)

Welcome Bruce,

You live in a beautiful area of the state. I spent much time up your way in Humboldt, Mendocino and Siskiyou Counties as a kid back in the 50’s. Terrific countryside and great hunting and fishing up your way, especially back then. I hope you realize your dream of hunting Africa real soon.

Good hunting to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg