KYRGYZTAN: Great Marco Polo & Ibex Hunt

Thanks again guys.

James I used my trusty .257 WBY. I love it for those long range shots, with a standard Leupold 4-12x I can easily compensate out to 600yds which is farther than I ever have or want to shoot at game anyway. I have no interest in those 1000yd shots with adjustable turret scopes, there are enough things that can go wrong already I dont need scope adjustment to add another.

Remember too that at that elevation your trajectory is significantly flatter than at home so a good cheat sheet taped to your stock is sure handy.

gday hitch , how much flatter ,would your calibre shoot at this height at say 450 metres>?
and why ?

He'll give a reply on how much flatter, but the air is "thinner". That causes less resistance so the bullet shoots with less drop. Its amazing how different it is at over say 600 yards.
What a great looking ram. Congrats. You did a great job. Its so tough to hunt when your sick. Congrats on making it count when you needed to. The ibex are beautiful. People that see mine in my office have no clue if its a big one or not! I still dream about the MP I missed. Now my knee is screwed up enough that I don't know that I can go back...... Still, I might try to go again.
My guides claimed mid Nov. at the peak of the rut was a great time to hunt MP's. Closely followed by Feb IF they had snow to bring them down. My guides claimed that in the area I hunted you could kill a large ram every day when they had good/heavy snow.
Tough hunt and you did good. Bruce

gday hitch , how much flatter ,would your calibre shoot at this height at say 450 metres>?
and why ?

Hey Bluey sorry for the delay.

My Quicktarget program is not booting up for some reason. I believe the difference with my .257 from 3500 feet to 12000 feet is around 5 or 6 inches flatter at the longer range. definitely enough to miss. Once I get things figured out here I will give ya a better answer.

He'll give a reply on how much flatter, but the air is "thinner". That causes less resistance so the bullet shoots with less drop. Its amazing how different it is at over say 600 yards.
What a great looking ram. Congrats. You did a great job. Its so tough to hunt when your sick. Congrats on making it count when you needed to. The ibex are beautiful. People that see mine in my office have no clue if its a big one or not! I still dream about the MP I missed. Now my knee is screwed up enough that I don't know that I can go back...... Still, I might try to go again.
My guides claimed mid Nov. at the peak of the rut was a great time to hunt MP's. Closely followed by Feb IF they had snow to bring them down. My guides claimed that in the area I hunted you could kill a large ram every day when they had good/heavy snow.
Tough hunt and you did good. Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Tough luck for you, I really hope you make it back. I would love to do the later hunt if I was ever fortunate enough to do it again.

Agreed on the Ibex, I have the horns set on forms ready to mount and they cause significant salivation lol (some of it is mine too :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniseDapl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross