"Great DEAL" on lion hunt.... BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Hartzview Hunting Safaris, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Hey guys,

Lion hunting in South Africa is a very sensitive topic and I don't want to stir up too much with this post but need to get this out of my mind and under clients attention intrested in booking a lion hunt in South Africa.

I was at the Harrisburg show the last week and it came to my attention that there was a fair amount of people coming to my booth intrested in booking a lion hunt asking me if I could provide them with the same deal as another outfitter at the show.

Here is this the deal.

"Book a male lion of $25 000 in 2011 and that same cat will grow to be as big as a cat currently worth $35 000 in a years time!"

I almost fell right on my back when I heard this the first, second and third time!

I had the clients sit down and explained to them carefully:

1. A spesific lion does not grow that much in a years time.

2. Cats that we hunt that has blonde mane will most probably never have darker or black mane as it is all in the genes of the lion. They are all mature lions.

3. Usually the higher priced cats are darker or black maned lions.

Then you see the excitement float away...

I have hunted many lion with a lot of clients and never had a dissapointed client because we do straight forward and honest business. I feel like it is situations like this is what confuses clients about hunting Africa. And it makes it even more difficult for honest outfitters to make a living.

What will happen is that the client will book the hunt because it is such a "great deal". Comes 2012 he will hunt a lion and when he shoots his lion it WILL be a dissapointment to him, it will not be the cat he expected if it even is the lion he had booked!

Good luck with the 2011 season to outfitters and clients hunting Africa.

Best regards,

2. Bushbuck

Bushbuck AH Enthusiast

If I didnt know better, I would say this sounds more like someone who knows exactly what you are saying. Maybe they are trying to collect 25K from a bunch of people and next year they are simply nowhere to be found.

3. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Worst scenario this is what will probably happen Bushbuck. I have heard of horror stories like this before and it just makes me sick to my stomach!

Best regards,

4. Bushbuck

Bushbuck AH Enthusiast

Yea, if they start now they can run this all year and even thru next show season then take off before the hunt season starts in 2012. How many 25K payments can you get thru the year and thru 2 show seasons.

I get many scam emails originating from Africa all the time, I would not be surprised if it has now entered the safari industry. Its hard for someone from here to track down someone in another country to recover money.

5. hunting

hunting AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Sweden, USA, Brazil, Mexico.,
    Jacques
    Yes this is also a first for me, i am sure this is the work of a guy that need some money now and he will face the music later if so. I am glad you did help the potential hunter and did explain to them. But remember it is not just in our industry that we do have guys like that, today you must be wake up all day long.
    Keep up the good work and all the best with the season.
    Johan

6. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Johan,

I could not believe it when I heard that! I am just feeling for the clients who will book with these guys because they have booked into a roller coaster ride of a hunt I believe. I will be in touch with you once I am back in South Africa Johan, flying back next Monday.

Hope you have a succesful season.

Best regards,

7. hunting

hunting AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Sweden, USA, Brazil, Mexico.,
    Have a safe flight, i had that braai with Lampchops and pap and sous.
    Johan

8. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Thank you for rubbing that in with salt my friend... My mouth is watering as I lay here now! My fire is already packed and ready to go as we speak.....! ;-)

Talk to you soon.