Gourmet Table Fare Or Just Quality Meals, WHat To Expect?

Michael Dean

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm presently researching different opportunities for my first African Safari. One element of the trip that is very important to me is the quality of the food offered. One of the reasons I enjoy ocean cruises is the variety of well prepared dishes and the variety of different meals offered every evening. Many resorts are listed as four and five star establishments. I was just wondering if members who've had the opportunity to go on a few safaris could share their experiences and let me know what to expect in terms of meals and the quality they've experienced firsthand.

I would rate as gourmet the food I had at MKuzi Falls PGR.

Other places I have been I would say generally good with some dishes exceptional, that is if you like tasty game dishes.

By the way, very good beer and great wines !

I have been every year for the past 4 years. All different outfitters. I found my perfect spot on the last trip, but thats a different review. I have stayed with the mom and pop outfitters to the largest in Limpopo. In general the food is all about the same. You will not go hungry. Plenty of hardy food to carry you through your hunts. If you are expecting a giant spread, like a cruise ship, you will be disappointed. Almost always family style service at dinner. Most every place I have stayed its game meat for dinner every night. Lunch is usually a roller packed with some reincarnation of dinner. I love the meat pies!!! I always bring a gift for the kitchen (spices regional to you) and it goes a long way with special requests. High end gourmet probably isn't going to happen, but you will eat some fantastic meals that you don't have access to here in the states.

I usually pack a good bottle of bourbon to share with the PH and guys around the fire. Wine they have covered

Two safaris and I have had both what I'd call gourmet and quality table fare.

In Zimbabwe it was gourmet and out of this world. A mix of what I will call traditonal Rhodesian meals, as well as food I was used to and even meals such as lasagna, although with hippo and buffalo meat.

South Africa was more like home cooking, but with lots of game meat.

Since this is important to you my advice is to include this in your outfitter questions and ask, very specifically. Let the outfitter know what you want and see if they can provide.

I'm presently researching different opportunities for my first African Safari. One element of the trip that is very important to me is the quality of the food offered. One of the reasons I enjoy ocean cruises is the variety of well prepared dishes and the variety of different meals offered every evening. Many resorts are listed as four and five star establishments. I was just wondering if members who've had the opportunity to go on a few safaris could share their experiences and let me know what to expect in terms of meals and the quality they've experienced firsthand.

I think @Royal27 hit it on the head in that it depends on who your safari is with. If you're wanting that higher scale of food than you need to shop that as such and know you'll likely be looking at least middle road pricing if not higher.

The key to getting what you are looking for on anything be it food,lodging or quality of animals is to ask for what you want. Good food does not mean it cost anymore from one place to another it is more how it is made. Kudu filets are the same if the kudu cost 2000 or 3000 but have a cook that has no clue and you will not be happy at all.

You just need to ask or better yet tell them what you are looking for as for quality and kind of food. If you want game meat tell them that is what you want. You want chicken tell them. Must outfitters will go out of thee way to give you what you want. It could be they use a different lodge and chef for your hunt over must others.

Biggest mistake made and why things go wrong is guys saying there good with anything then when they get there they want a 5 star lodge and meals. If you want it ask for it and get your wished met and enjoy the trip.

I have been to SA twice. The first time the meals were great with apatisers before made from the trophies we had in camp. The meals were made from two or three of the animals that we had taken. Always a salid and some kind of vegetables.
The second was also great but the meals were not from the trophies but great cuts of beef great sausage again salid and vegetables the second half a different place the meals might be more what you are looking for. Meals were prepared by the person that ran the five star place I was staying at. Pictures can't tell you what it tasted like but I took a couple here is breakfast lunch and dinner.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Call me crazy @billc but I don't think I'd ever walk in to Ruth's Chris and expect to pay Golden Corral prices. Nor would I expect RC quality if I was at Golden Corral.

Call me crazy @billc but I don't think I'd ever walk in to Ruth's Chris and expect to pay Golden Corral prices. Nor would I expect RC quality if I was at Golden Corral.

Yup your right and I have paid 150.00 for one steak before and enjoyed it. Trust me I know good food because other then hunt that is were my money goes.Have also had a 20.00 steak that was as good.

this thread was not about going to either of those places. When the meat is coming from the animals hunted it comes down to how it is made and has nothing to do with the price it cost really. I know people who can make a cheap steak taste like it cost a million dollars and have seen others ruin a steak that cost 3 times as much.

My point is not to expect 5 star if you dont ask for it up front. You dont need to pay 400 a day to get good food but I always realize if your paying 200 a day it maybe good to ask what food you will be getting. The outfit may just pick another lodge to use and charge 250 a day for that.

It all comes down to the question you ask about everything. The biggest mistakes guys make is just assuming all places are the same or places just offer one kind of service when must outfitters can handle anything a client wants with planning.

To answer a question the poster ask that I did not really answer. I have stayed at 4 places in SA. from 3 star to 4 star. I had meals I liked at each and some I did not. The ones I did not like other guys loved and was more just not my taste.I have paid 150 a day and been at places that charge 450 a day. The food was fine at all the places.

One place we stayed at the food was served inside some days and was like any 5 star place from wine to fancy dessert. Yet the very next day at the same place we ate outside with a soda and store bought ice cream. Both meals were great and at a place that cost 200 a day. I would have even rated the food better at the 200 day place better then the one at 450

Last edited:
Kudu filets are the same if the kudu cost 2000 or 3000

Come on Bill!!! You know as well as I do that a filet from $3k kudu that was raised in a pen has much more tender meat than a $2k kudu that was raised in the wild. Plus all of the corn, alfalfa, and mineral block adds lots of flavor! How can you say they are the same with a straight face??? :p

You know I love you Bill, must of the time... :whistle:

You are right though - ask, ask, ask!

I don't think I ever walked away from the table hungry....as long as its not mountain house or something not fresh. And I was a restaraunt owner and manager for 18 years.

I don't think I ever walked away from the table hungry....as long as its not mountain house or something not fresh. And I was a restaraunt owner and manager for 18 years.

Mountain house? Or mountain oysters? Never mind, don't really want to know. :unsure::eek:

Mountain house? Or mountain oysters? Never mind, don't really want to know. :unsure::eek:
The mountain house are the freeze dried kind - used them on a backpack hunt to save weight. They were better than going hungry, but not by much.

One of my favourites is a Tomato Toasty.
Discovered in OR Tambo after that very long flight.
(Grill Cheese with Tomato)

I have had everything from Pap (Corn meal porridge) and Butter for breakfast with Buttermilk Rusks and Coffee (true SA Breakfast) to four course meals served to me for lunch and Dinner.

I was served Liver from my first African animal (Eland) and I eat it and enjoyed it. I hate Liver.

I enjoy good food but it is second to the Hunting for me.

Definitely ask questions of the Outfitters.

Two safaris and I have had both what I'd call gourmet and quality table fare.

In Zimbabwe it was gourmet and out of this world. A mix of what I will call traditonal Rhodesian meals, as well as food I was used to and even meals such as lasagna, although with hippo and buffalo meat.

South Africa was more like home cooking, but with lots of game meat.

Since this is important to you my advice is to include this in your outfitter questions and ask, very specifically. Let the outfitter know what you want and see if they can provide.

I agree with Royal. You can expect good food and lots of it. Your not going to see variety like a cruise ship. If there is something you don't want or like be sure to tell your outfitter way in advance!

I agree with Royal. You can expect good food and lots of it. Your not going to see variety like a cruise ship. If there is something you don't want or like be sure to tell your outfitter way in advance!

Agreed with both Charlie and Royal, lots of food, just discuss with your outfitter your exact expectation

I was served Liver from my first African animal (Eland) and I eat it and enjoyed it. I hate Liver.

I had the liver from my kudu on the braii and then you dipped it in salt. I do like liver, but it was the best I've ever had by far. And I sure seem to hear that eland is even better. Dang, I'm hungry now....

I had the liver from my kudu on the braii and then you dipped it in salt. I do like liver, but it was the best I've ever had by far. And I sure seem to hear that eland is even better. Dang, I'm hungry now....

I HATE LIVER! Torture by shoe leather cooking in childhood.

The Eland Liver was excellent.

You have received some excellent advice. I have been 3 times to Africa. Most of the meals have been very good. Mostly not gourmet quality but generally very good.
A few yrs ago in the east cape we were served some blood sausage. I passed on it and was glad I did. Everyone else including the ph's got sick. One of our group lost 2 hunting days because of it. Food poisoning is a bitch. About 6 months after our return that company came on here and had the guts to claim a 5 star lodge..... I disputed that after having been there. They haven't posted after that.
Point is to ask and make it know what you want. Have that discussion before you go. It may affect where you stay. I love to try different food. Especially different animals that I have hunted. Makes the trip more memorable for me. One of my favorites if Kudu in mushroom gravey. Enjoy your hunt! Bruce

I do not like liver nor I do like green eggs and ham. Dried testicles are right out too.

Reactions: BWH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.