Good enough? Hornady 500gr RNSP Load

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon that I'm fine but wanted to check with people with more experience.

Built up some loads for big species. Not big five as of yet but bears, bison, Muskox etc

The loads I'm running are Hornady 500gr RNSP in .458 at 1850 fps average.
These will put anything down I'm sure but would 450gr driven faster be better?

I like the high SD of the 500gr bullets but a bit more speed with the 450's could equal a little more penetration.
Obviously I also have the option of tougher 500gr but the Hornady's are easier to get hold of for me.

All opinions welcome

I think either load will be fine for anything up to and including ol' Ty Rex.

You can do the ballistic arithmetic to see which generates greater energy.

My preference goes to the heavier bullet. Weight and diameter are constants with velocity a decreasing variable. The 500 grain bullets at 1,850 fps should be more than adequate.

Also, energy is a meaningless, calculated number used to sell bigger and "better" cartridges, it is momentum that matters.

Last edited:
Happy days. I didn't think it'd be a problem.
I'd love to try some woodleigh 550gr but at £2 each ($3) plus post they work out somewhat more expensive.

These are still very low pressure loads at 30ksi predicted. My max is 35ksi with the action capable of well north of 40ksi. Loaded to 35ksi velocity would be around 2000 I'd say. Wouldn't go over that due to Quickload being estimates.
I just don't think I need to. Im glad the general concensus so far is with me on that.

jimbob, id use that load for anything shy of the big 7. with that low velocity you will need to get close but that's half the fun.

note: to be clear we aren't talking about the DGX right? I wouldn't use the Hornady DGX for anything unless I had to.

-matt

Happy days. Cheers Matt.

My local dealer is getting a couple powders in for me which, according to QuickLoad, should give 2000 fps at the same pressure.

I need to get the stock adjusted before that mind. She doesn't really fit me at the moment and felt recoil is more than it should be.

One day the big 5 (or 7 for that matter) will be on the menu. Unfortunately cost, and my wife's love of hippo and elephant, hold me back ;)

what cartridge is this for? also, which Hornady bullet are we talking about?

-matt

The regular 500gr RN Interlock bullet and the cartridge is a 45-120

ooh the 45-120 is an interesting cartridge, its basically a US black powder version of the 450 NE 3.25".

your cartridge is more then suitable for DG assuming your rifle will handle the pressure levels. the bullet your talking about is suitable for most animals at low velocities. pushing it too fast may result in bullet failure (2000 fps might be fine). for DG you will want a tougher bullet such as a Woodleigh or a Swift.

-matt

Last edited:
ooh the 45-120 is an interesting cartridge, its basically a US black powder version of the 450 NE 3.25".

your cartridge is more then suitable for DG assuming your rifle will handle the pressure levels. the bullet your talking about is suitable for most animals at low velocities. pushing it too fast may result in bullet failure (2000 fps might be fine). for DG you will want a tougher bullet such as a Woodleigh or a Swift.

-matt

Yeah woodleigh look like the go to choice for DG for me.
I'll see how the Hornady's perform on big non-dangerous stuff. They just can't be beat for price and availability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you