AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hello There,
Is it legal to travel through JFK airport in New York with a checked rifle? In route to Africa this past summer there were multiple guys going on safari on my flight to J-burg, but my hunting partner had my rifle and checked it through another airport. I read some backdated story about a guy who got arrested. Is it legal now? What about taking it through customs on the way back? Any help is appreciated. Headed through there July 2015 with a rifle to RSA then Zim. Thanks in advance guys.

It is my understanding that once you place it on the plane at the beginning of your trip all of your baggage should be checked all the way through to J-burg and you shouldn't have any problems. Also there should be no problems on your trip back but I would also like to hear how it goes from others.

I believe that the person that you heard about getting arrested had a pistol in his luggage and his flight was either diverted to NY or something where he had to get a hotel room for the night after he retrieved his baggage. Then the next day he went to check in his luggage and he declared the pistol and that is where the problems began for having a unregistered firearm in NY.

I checked my "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" and it states that no license for rifle or shotgun possession is required, the City of New York is different. But you have 24 hours to travel through New York City with your rifle unloaded in a locked case. But since JFK is not in New York city that isn't a concern either way.

There's federal law to protect you when you are traveling though a state, the problem is as JimP mentioned when you get a lay over and need a hotel is where the law isn't so clear. But if you don't need a permit to own a rifle in New York state it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you guys. The help is appreciated. My heart skipped a beat there wondering if I was going to have issues. Want to use my gun, but certain don't want to Chang my ticket. If anyone else has more knowledge I'd love to hear it, but it sounds like I should be ok.

I am flying through JFK in April on my way to SA. I'll let you know how it goes, unless I am in jail. :E Worried: But I'm not expecting any issues.

NPM352

Going to Africa.
Have your luggage checked all the way to Joberg. At Joberg you will pick up your baggage and then you will have to go through the paper work 520 form and obtain your rifle. A permit service is a good way to assist you, however you could do it yourself.

Next step.
Will you be picked up by your PH, staying in over night lodging or rechecking in for another flight.

Flying to the USA.
if flying into Joberg only have your bags checked to Joberg as you will have to pick up you rifle and re check it.
Therefor pick up all your bags and when your recheck in check all your bags to your final destination.
You will still have to obtain your bags in New York. go to customs and then drop your bag on the luggage and large items line. It just make it easier.

I am actually flying to Jburg and then Vic Falls. I did some checking with SAA and confirmed I can check them all the way to Vic Falls if I am not overnighting in SA, which I am not. I will get an invitation letter from PH just in case something happens and get stuck in Jburg. Thank you for the advice. I've got a lot to learn. I thought I had it figured out and settled then remembered New York and their silly gun laws... Thanks again for the info and advice.

And brushmore, I hope you don't end up in the clink...

Ah . . . Just so we are clear on geography here, JFK Airport is most certainly located in New York City. In the Borough of Queens, as is LaGuardia Airport.

If you are transiting through JFK, having boarded your flight in say Atlanta and checked your gun all the way through to your final destination, you will have no issues.

On return, if you enter the US through JFK, you will clear immigration, pick up your luggage, clear Customs and then re-check your luggage to your final destination.

The difficulties are when one checks a gun at JFK - the Port Authority police take the s/n from the rifle, as well as your name, address and d/l number, who then take the guns to TSA who check them through. This is regardless of if your flight is domestic or international. It's not a big deal, just takes some extra time.

As noted above, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to pick up a handgun in checked luggage and exit the airport or, check in a handgun if originating travel in NYC. You stand a good chance of getting arrested for possessing a handgun in NYC without a permit. I know what the Federal law says, but the NYC PD and Port Authority operate under different rules when it comes to handguns.

Don't sweat JFK, I fly out of there for just about everytrip with guns....

Just need an extra 15-20 minutes(often less) for Port Authority police to do a quick check for serial number they will write in their log book. So between typical check in and waiting for bag claim/customs....don't cut a connecting flight too short. You just wait by check in desk and airline supervisor gives them a call, stupid easy.

Most PA officers have always been interested about what I'm hunting and where I'm going although often not hunters themselves.

Good tip.....

When you approach the lines to clear customs after claiming guncase/ bags, try to talk to one of the roaming agents that are directing traffic around. Say you have a firearm to clear and they will often often have you go ahead of line and into the Customs office to check serial number and 4457.

I have been on my way home in less than 10 minutes after claiming bags on more than one occasion.

I just decided to avoid JFK out of both principle and hassle. Use Atlanta instead. There must be a financial penalty paid by NY

Ah . . . Just so we are clear on geography here, JFK Airport is most certainly located in New York City. In the Borough of Queens, as is LaGuardia Airport.

Thanks for that clarification. I was wondering about that but Google maps said Jamaica, NY. For all of my trips to NYC I am stupid enough to drive in so I haven't had the fun of experiencing their airports yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois