Going over to the dark side...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by colorado, Jun 6, 2014.

1. colorado

colorado AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Thinking seriously about buying a used Ranger Rover ...
  2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Do you mean a used Land Rover Defender or an actual Range Rover? Is it for Africa?
  3. colorado

colorado AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Used Range Rover, 2004, 74,000 miles $2800 Something has to be seriously wrong with it.
  4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Sounds too good to be true at that price!
  5. accipiter

accipiter AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, USA
    Are you a mechanic? If not, you will become one if you but it.

Have you ever owned a Land Cruiser? I owned many vehicles and the best of all was a Land Cruiser. They are built so well and nothing breaks - that is why they are so omnipresent in southern Africa.
  6. colorado

colorado AH Veteran

My Photos:
    I haven't owned a Land Cruiser, but I know they're wonderful vehicles. I'll keep my eyes out for one of those too. My 2001 diesel Excursion has seen it's day, I no longer trust it, so I'm looking for different problems. It was a great vehicle for what I needed at the time. With two son's in college I have no desire for a new vehicle.
  7. accipiter

accipiter AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, USA
    The Land Cruisers are amazing, they only downside is they are not very fuel efficient.

The price for the Range Rover may be in the ballpark because those vehicles depreciate rapidly.

This brings up a funny anecdote. On my recent South African safari, my PH had a Land Cruiser and considered himself a Land Cruiser fanatic. He has a twin brother who is also a PH, and he was a Land Rover owner and fanatic! Very funny!
  8. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    Steer clear my friend! I bought a beautiful black Range Rover in 2010. It was an 08 and had 22,000 miles on it. In the three months I had it the front air shock went out, alternator needed replaced and door handles fell off the passenger side. They are beautiful vehicles and are extremely comfortable to drive and ride in....but they are awful.
  9. tarbe

tarbe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

I have owned 5 Land Cruisers (currently own 2) and zero Rovers. There is a reason.

I like working on my vehicles, but to maintain or improve them...not to fix them.

No such thing as a cheap Rover. They get you one way or the other!

My $0.02 as always!

Tim
  10. colorado

colorado AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Well I got lucky it was sold lol! Thanks for the warnings.
  11. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

You did get lucky...
    there is no such thing as a cheap range rover!
    i have a 78 2door that has been in my workshop for the past 3 years... its nearly there though! ;) it was given to me as a gift when an old family friend left the country. i now know why it sat on blocks in his garage for 15 years
    all i need is a complete engine rebuild kit, interior, paint, windscreen and suspension overhaul!!!
    That's all!

if you get one and if it runs well and if it does not break down for long enough to take it for some serious off roading, you will enjoy it, the old ones are pretty good off road, the little v8 works very well with their low range 4wd system.
    a friend has just bought a brand new 14range rover sport diesel, will be taking it for a ride today probably, certainly looks good!
  12. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    pete that must have been a very nice price your mate forked out for his sport!!!
  13. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

yep, i think its still quite a bit less than the VX, about $50k less i think and better kitted out than the VX
  14. spike.t

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    yup better kitted and luxurious and faster, allround better dynamically, but i wonder how long before he hits a pothole and pops a tyre or bends a rim with those low profile tyres? and i bet pilatus charge a very nice price for a new rim...............:eek:
  15. greyfox

greyfox AH Veteran

RangeRovers had the LOWEST customer satisfaction rating a few years ago. I alomost bought one for my wife but steered clear when I talked ot people that owned them.
    I had a '68 Land Cruiser when I was in AK, that thing would run on Peanut Butter!! Great vehicle, ugly, slow, and uncomforatable, but dependable. It was MY run to work car.
  16. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

That hits the land cruiser spot on... dependable. i honestly dont think they can be beaten in africa. there are a lot of competitors, but so far none that have held up to the harsh conditions of remote africa like the cruiser has.
  17. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

yeah, i asked him the same question about the tyres as the demo version he was driving till they delivered his had the 21" low profiles on it, he went with a smaller rim and more meat on the tyre.... clever choice i think.
  18. spike.t

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    yup but still not as nice as having some bf goodrich AT or KM2s on it. trouble is i dont think anyof them are rated for the speed a RR sport can get up to.....