Giving up hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Bazz, Jun 19, 2014.

1. accipiter

accipiter AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, USA
    This is looking like the simplest explanation.

woods1126 and Hogpatrol like this.
  2. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    Agree

Hogpatrol likes this.
  3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Troll

4. BnC 04

BnC 04 TITANIUM SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA/Canada/Europe/ Africa
    Concur

5. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    mmmm:unsure:. why wait 3 years ? its not like its the cia and kgb activating a sleeper cell.........maybe i am wrong but why not just naive and uninformed, or reading the info the wrong way and coming to a cocked up conclusion.............? a reply would be good from bazz........................

6. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    He stayed a while, but there is a thread started, warning us of anti's within our group. Sorry to say, but, I didn't see it coming with bazz. Well played, well played. Just to clear a few things up, the anti's could give 2 shits about how long it takes. If Bazz truly is anti, then I am sure it (Quotes from this forum) will be used against us in some B.S. propaganda crap. If he is not anti, then I personally wish him luck and think that his reasoning is for the change is wrong. As has been previously stated, the poaching of animals has belated by the hunting community. Kenya is the perfect example...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    Namibia (1), South Africa (3) & USA (most Western States, including AK & HI). Too bad spear fishing is not called "fish hunting" or, I could add a few extra countries (couldn't resist weaving that in somehow, sorry).
    +1.

8. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Hey, Jerome and Brickburn have warned us of anti's in the ranks here on AH. How do you eliminate them? You just have to wait it out. The comments to me fit an anti-hunter. I don't see it any other way. If I'm wrong someone will correct me eventually. But I want proof.

9. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    Namibia (1), South Africa (3) & USA (most Western States, including AK & HI). Too bad spear fishing is not called "fish hunting" or, I could add a few extra countries (couldn't resist weaving that in somehow, sorry).
    Bobpuckett,

Of the male anti-hunters I have had to listen to in the lunch room or, wherever I was stuck in proximity with them when they were ranting, after getting to know them over the years....100% of them always turned out to have either been raised by an angry / controlling / man hating woman or, they are married to one (sometimes both).

Regards,
    Velo Dog.

10. Pheroze

Pheroze BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    Woods and Water, OFAH, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    This is an old post but the new National Geographic has an interesting couple of articles that reflect on this discussion.

The first is about the rapid spread of large scale agriculture in Africa. One can readily see the devastation this type of large scale farming can cause on the natural wild life and also the local populations. In my mind's eye I was thinking how valuable the professional hunters are to ensuring land is preserved for the animals we all admire and enjoy. Also, the industry contributes to the local economy and we are talking about supporting local entrepreneurs not massive multinational corporations.

At the other end of the spectrum there is also an article about the devastation unregulated fishing has had on a particular breed of large fish. Again, it is not a stretch at all to understand the role well organized and ethical hunting can have in ensuring that a species survives in abundance.

I cannot have a discussion with people on this website who zealously hold the idea hunting=evil. However, if there are people on here who maintain an open mind but are currently ignorant of the role ethical hunting plays in wildlife management, then maybe this type of critical thinking when reading other articles may open their eyes to new ideas.

11. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    multis will come out on top any time.......and it doesnt matter what size the fish are when they use mosquito nets sown together to clean rivers out. its difficult to try and explain to people who dont live or spend a lot of time in african countries how logic doesnt come into play most times, and there is no what if when the consequences could have been dire. hard to try and explain without sounding bad...................:)

12. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC
    Hunted:
    U.S., Panama, South Africa
    Yeah, 100% troll. Probably wrote it a few years back while chomping on a medium rare hamburger. Best if they didn't have one reply. Have to admit, though, it's not hard to get sucked in by them.

Lions and tigers and Kenya, oh my!

accipiter likes this.
  13. Big5

Big5 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
    Interesting how Bazz dropped out of sight so quickly after a few serious questions arose about his motives. Well, maybe he just went back to chompin' away on a free-range chicken leg. They grow on trees you know.

accipiter likes this.
  14. accipiter

accipiter AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, USA
    Or he came back as one of these new members inquiring about lion hunting.

Hogpatrol likes this.
  15. Big5

Big5 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
    'accipiter', you just may be right with that . . . I thought he might have dropped out of the discussion to devote study time to the notion that overhunting caused the extinction of dinosaurs. Facts be damned, hunters seem to get the blame for everything else these days.

enysse and Hogpatrol like this.
  16. tiss kocovsky

tiss kocovsky AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, WWA
    Its sad that for all the good our self-imposed taxes do, that we can't find one to educate these poor misguided people. $25 stamp for ducks, $15 for pheasants, can we get an "idiot removal" stamp? $10 to teach them facts. Even if they don't hunt at least they'll understand the things Pittman Robertson and Ding Darling have funded.

Velo Dog likes this.
  17. Cleathorn

Cleathorn AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI; NRA; Niagara Sportsmen Club
    Hunted:
    Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia; South Africa, Zimbabwe
    AH is among the best forum's (i.e. community) of serious hunter/conservationists that I have ever found. In addition to great information about hunting areas, logistics, and the hunting experience, this community tackles some of the toughest questions about hunting ethics in a fair, open-minded and thoughtful way.

I assumed from the beginning kf this thread that bazz was likely an anti-hunter (or had some hunting background from long ago and was trying to revisit the past). Regardless, as always, the AH community thoughtfully took on the the initial comment, exposed the inconsistency and inaccuracy of the post, again providing an important source of credible information about the value of hunting, and elephant hunting in particular.

Well done folks, if bazz is an anti, the "quotes" that might be pulled from this community are exactly the type we need out there to support the continuation of hunting around the globe.

Good job folks, AH remains the best.

Good luck bazz. If you really were on AH looking for content in support if an anti-hunting agenda, I hope you leave better informed about the important conservation role that ethical hunting plays in resource management. More importantly, please don't allow your own ideology to work against the native Africans and wildlife that survive and often thrive because of the ethical hunting community.

If you really are now a photo safari enthusiast, good luck with that as well. But don't forget to still buy that hunting license and pay the trophy fees on the animals you "shoot," their very survival depends on it!

Regards,

Cleathorn

18. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 CONTRIBUTOR AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
    Hunted:
    Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
    I would like to know how much money would be put in the coffers of the game department, and anti poaching body! The pictures you take don't make for a very good meal of meat in the village people's plates! Sport hunting supplies large amounts of badly needed protein for the locals, and employs that locals to work in the camps as well. Sport hunting is the only thing that will insure the continued existence of not only the trophy animals but all wildlife that depends on the habitat!

The money generated buy sport hunting pays the bills for the department that protects the wild life, and with the quotas being to harvest only the surplus, insures the long term viability of not only the species that are hunted but also maintains habitat quality by keeping all wildlife in a healthy balance!

Velo Dog likes this.
  19. Gemsbok42

Gemsbok42 New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, Local Gun Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, South Africa
    My friend, I am with you. After watching two TV shows where the hunters were bragging about their return to Africa for another great safari and then watching them kill all their animals out of a blind built over a concrete water hole I am sick. Do they not know the difference between hunting and just killing? They may as well have been hunting those animals in Texas. It sure had nothing to do with a real African Safari. Maybe I am getting too old, but hunting always involved a great deal of driving and glassing, then stalking and hopefully getting a shot. That is why I hunted, for the chase, not the kill. Now they kill them out of blinds or shoot 800 yards with custom made rifles. One guy said my shooting range is the next zip code. Another individual that does not understand what hunting is about.

Like you, my friend, I think it is time to lay down our weapons and pray that our grandchildren will be able to see a real live lion or elephant in the wild some day.

20. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    giving up hunting ,the way choose to do it , because you don't like the way some guy on you tube does it , only makes you a sook , fella.
    giving up hunting is a personal thing , no need to advertise it , unless your going to put on a , throwing in the towel party for all your AH friends , to drink to your ethical conservation hunting time, during your many days in the bush .
    have a good life ,mate

Sable123, ActionBob and accipiter like this.