Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
Hello,

I have read up on the importation of trophies thread, as well as read up on some dip/pack companies websites regarding warthog.

What are your experiences of getting your warthog back to the US mixed with your other trophies, especially using the dip/pack method. I have read that it has to be shipped completely separate, and also read that it can be in its own box, packed inside the larger crate shipment with the other trophies.

What happens when it get to the US? How long can one expect it to be held up? How much more are the costs of storage before it gets inspected?

Would it be better to just separately ship it from your other trophies?

Thank for any feedback on this.

I have heard it both ways. It must be in its own crate but I have heard it can be inside the main crate. It must go to an approved place first which if I understand it right can be some taxidermist who are approved by usfw and there state.

If it is finished there it goes in the crate and no problems at all. I had mine mounted there to take no chance at all. If it is mounted or a finished skull it is less of a hassle for sure.

I didn't know at all about this and on the last trip one of my four trophies was a warthog. When the dip and ship was ready to be sent I found out that the warthog would have to be is its own crate. I thought it would end up costing me a bundle but the costs seemed to not be that much more. When it got to customs it took about a week to get cleared not sure that was the fault of the if the warthog.
I allways had planned to have a skull mount of the warthog but my PH said I had to at least have a shoulder mount since it was such a good one. I had the raw cape sent home and in the year it took to be sent I didn't us it I just had the skull bronzed. I think it looks better than than a shoulder mount. My crates were both small they did say if the other crate was bigger it could have been in a crate in the other crate. It did have to be sent to a official tanning place once it cleared customs. The people I had importing the trophies "Coppersmith.com" and my taxidermist "Dennis" took care of that. Looks great on a shelf now.
image.jpeg

Thanks guys!

I choose to have my taxidermy in RSA for a various reasons. I use an experienced, well known shop, the paperwork is always in order, the mounts are solidly secured in the crate, it's cheaper and I can keep track of its whereabouts in the shipping process. The only "gotcha" is if something is wrong with a mount. Over three shipments and twenty five animals and numerous flat skins and skull mounts, I've not had any issues. YMMV.

Reactions: MTA
Does the same apply if you are only bringing back the skull or tusks?

Mine came wrap separately but in the same crate. It was cleared by Coppersmith and sent to my taxidermist who is a Usda taxidermist

@Adam S ,

The way I read it, if it is a treated skull, the way I take it meaning bleached or Euro mount, it is a different story than bringing back the skin

@lwaters

What port of entry did you use for Coppersmith? Was it a designated one due to having the warthog, or was it one of your choosing?

@lwaters

What port of entry did you use for Coppersmith? Was it a designated one due to having the warthog, or was it one of your choosing?
I used Dallas because it was closer to me.

I had mine brought back for a shoulder mount, and, according to everyone I talked to, if there's a Primate or a Swine in the shipment, it goes directly to the USDA approved tannery. This ended up costing me because of my ignorance. My taxidermist tans the hides himself, BUT he is not USDA APproved for swine, so it had to go to a much larger tannery. Since the warthog was ina case in the case, the entire case had to go. I'd planned to go to ATL myself and get the crate and deliver it to my taxidermist, thus bypassing Coppersmith (they were GREAT BTW) and UPS, but was told I could not do that because of the Swine or Primate Clause.
Just something to consider.

Mine had to clear customs in Atlanta, point of entry, then shipped to Chicago to Coppersmith(Michael) then to an USDA approved tannery that Dennis uses.

Thanks guys!

In 2013 all of mine came in one crate. Warthogs(2), full hides, back skins, heads and horns. The broker took care of all of it as well as the Dip-N-Pack. There was no delay or problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross