Getting trophies home

wlambert

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Utah, Maine (USA); Limpopo, Eastern Cape (RSA)
I travel to SA in May for plains game and the process for dip/pack, shipping, clearing, and shipping again is overwhelming. Any one out there have a great formula (companies for each step) you are willing to share?

Where are you hunting exactly?
It's kind of like asking for the best Pizza shop in the USA.
Vermont Pizza will not taste to good when it arrives in New Mexico! :)

Formula:
Search the threads here on AH. Here's a start for you.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/lessons-learned-from-shipping-trophies-home.9532/#post-71549
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...rmists-oxi-logistics.16027/page-5#post-137299
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/trophy-shipping.11120/#post-88723
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/about-dip-pack-and-shipping.5944/#post-38503

Ask your Outfitter who he uses in RSA.
Visit the shop yourself.
Clearing, depends where you live!
There are several good shipping companies in RSA.

I had a horrible time getting my trophies back on my first safari due to a crooked outfitter but not because of any specific company. On my last safari to SA we used Swift Dip for the dip and pack and Safari Cargo Systems for the shipping and Coppersmith for the importing into the USA. Great communication with everyone and very smooth transactions with each company involved. I was very pleased with this combination and would definitely use them all again. I am sure there are many other good reputable companies to use and these are the ones that worked for me. Good luck, the planning is all part of the adventure.

times 2
swift dip and safari gargo systems , is a great start as a combo for getting your stuff treated, crated and out of Africa , for sure .
great communication
smooth trasnsaction , and great , honest people to deal with .
next time im in the Limpopo ,they will be my choice with out a second thought .

Last edited:
It depends too on what you plan to do with your trophies. If you plan to have it all mounted there, then all you need to do is wait for the arrival and pick your stuff up at the nearest official Port of Entry in your area. If you plan to ship raw trophy parts home to the states, then you need to first talk to a taxidermist here who will accept the shipment for you to do the work. Most of the details will be handled by whomever the raw parts are shipped to for prepping for shipment. Don't sweat all the little details, you'll get all stressed out.:cool: Your outfitter will advise as well.

Wiambert. leave that to us. we assist all the time with logistics and import of your trophies.
Have us work with your dip pack an shipper and out customs broker in Chicago.
Seamless and easy contact me Click the banner below.
We will take care of you from shipping to hand delivering your trophies completed to your door.

Thanks for all of the replies. To answer Brickburn, I will be hunting with Cruiser Safari's near Ellisaras/Lephale (spelling likely not correct). They refer everything to Highveld but I hear mixed reviews on their dip/pack, including long delays. I will definitely check out Swift Dip/Safari Cargo.

Also, Dennis I love your work and will be in touch.

Great Wiambert. Let me set you up with my dip pack guys in S A near you, They pick-up from the PH's also. They are not taxidermist soley dip / pack and ship . S A taxidermists are slow to ship as they have other work that makes them more money, like taxidermy. My ship outs on Skins thru me guys are normally 90-120 days. Last shipment I got in from them in S A it was sent 99 days to the day my client finished his safari.

I am having a Kudu dipped and shipped to the US.. Safari Cargo Systems is handling it in South Africa.

My question is How necessary is it use a Clearing Agent / Broker at the destination in New Orleans? I used a clearing agent on a previous hunt. I picked up the trophies myself from the Cargo warehouse. I was told the products need to be “cleared” which you can do yourself. Air Cargo will also send all the applicable paperwork necessary. The folks at the Airline Cargo warehouse said it wasn't difficult to clear it once it arrived..

I am on a very tight budget,...how difficult would it be to "clear" it myself once it arrives in the US? Can anyone give me some insight?

I got my trophies (3 shoulder mounts, 3 back skins) done by Savuti Taxidermy in SA. He estimated 6-9 months, but here I am at 4 1/2 months, and it's ready to ship. His, and my preference based on price, is Zingela Forwarders. I'm currently watching all the logistics play out, but I think it will be air freight to ATL. Depending on how much for ground shipping to southern Indiana, I may just drive myself to Georgia to recover the precious. The pictures Savuti has sent me of the finished work looks terrific. Cliff is the only one in the shop actually mounting the animals. His showroom had gobs of beautiful work, and some impressive big cats. He was really nice to speak with in person, and replies to emails fairly regularly.
I'm using an ATL based import broker recommended by ActionBob. She communicates very quickly as well. I don't have the estimate for her fees and the ground shipping yet, but ActionBob said she is much cheaper than CopperSmith.

Correction to my last post here. It was BobPuckett, NOT ActionBob that recommended the import broker I'm using. Sorry for the goof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you