AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
I will be hunting with Paw Print at the beginning of March with my wife and parents. Right now our plan is to take an extra week or so, and travel down the Garden Route and make our way to Cape Town. So far the only things we have planned is a stop at the Dung Beetle Guest Farm, it is owned by the father of our small town doctor, and a stop in Jefferys Bay, where they own a condo. Other than that, I'd like to do some fishing and diving at Jefferys Bay or Cape Town.

One question is what can we do with our rifles? Will an agent store them for us? If we decide to fly from Cape Town can we travel with them?

Are there any "Must Do's" or "Hidden Gems" that we shouldn't drive by?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

One question is what can we do with our rifles?

I always carry mine with me and store them in my room where ever I go. Unless there is a safe available.

Will an agent store them for us?

Yes there are places available to store your firearm. Riflepermits, some guest houses.

If we decide to fly from Cape Town can we travel with them?

Depends which airline. Some no longer carry firearms.
Make sure you check with the airline or travel agent about that particular flight or "partner" airline.

I always carry mine with me and store them in my room where ever I go. Unless there is a safe available.

You've never had any issues with carrying them around?

You've never had any issues with carrying them around?

They are in a locked gun case or in a locked room when I am not hunting with them. Take reasonable precautions like you would at home.
Ensure you have your temporary import permit with you at all times and you are legal.

I have been asked once by a police officer (SAPS) where my guns were when I happened upon the officer at a gas station.
I replied: "Where they are safe!" and smiled at him.
I went on my way.

when we played after our hunt last year , we took them everywhere with us , aswell, .we were staying in motels and guesthouses all along the tourist route ,
we took them through ado elephant park , just told them wherever we went , there was not one problem in nearly a week of staying somewhere different everyday, when we flre from cape town to j/burg , it was the first time we flew with SAA ,
the only thing different was that we couldn't store the locked ammo box in the stored luggage. it had to be checked as another piece , no biggie .just different .

Well it's good to know that travelling with guns is more or less a non-issue!

When we did out tour from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town then through the wine country we did stay at a couple of guest houses that did not allow firearms. I imagine that we could of found accommodations that would allow them but since we didn't have any with us it was no problem.

It was no biggie for us since we stored our firearm back at the outfitters camp and picked them up before we flew out of Port Elizabeth.

when we played after our hunt last year , we took them everywhere with us , aswell, .we were staying in motels and guesthouses all along the tourist route ,
we took them through ado elephant park , just told them wherever we went , there was not one problem in nearly a week of staying somewhere different everyday, when we flre from cape town to j/burg , it was the first time we flew with SAA ,
the only thing different was that we couldn't store the locked ammo box in the stored luggage. it had to be checked as another piece , no biggie .just different .
+1 This was the same for us when we traveled the Garden Route earlier this year. Make a trip to Cape Hope after you get to Cape Town. I really enjoyed the history and the views there!

+1 This was the same for us when we traveled the Garden Route earlier this year. Make a trip to Cape Hope after you get to Cape Town. I really enjoyed the history and the views there!
I will certainly keep Cape Hope in mind! Any other tips are more than welcome!

The garden route is more of a journey than a specific route. There is really impressive cavern to visit, quaint towns inland and on the shore. Parks, boat cruises, ostrich farms, etc.

Cape Town is rated as one of the top 10 tourist destinations in the world. you will truly enjoy your trip.

Wilderness was my favourite place to stay, when you like hiking, bird watching and nature...

Tsitsikamma National Park is also nice!

Look at spending a night or two in either Plettenberg bay or Knysna as there are a variety of attractions in the area.

Oudtshoorn, could also be a nice stop with the Cango caves and Ostrich farms.

Mossel bay and its shark cage diving might be of interest?

Bloukrans Bungy jumping?

I know the area very well so feel free to send me a PM if you would like more info or suggestions regarding accommodation etc.

A must it to go to Bathurst (close to Port Alfred) and and visit the historic Pig and Whistle Inn. Its over 180 years old and I think the oldest pub in South Africa.

Addo Elephant Park close to Port Elisabeth is also enjoyable.

I nice break while driving to to stop at Boknesstrand and take a short walk along the beach to the Dias Cross Memorial (Bartholomew Diaz, the famous Portuguese navigator and discoverer of the Cape, erected a cross or padrao on 12th March, 1488).

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking forward to the journey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.