Game prices plummeting in RSA

Desperatezulu

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, UK
Can't say I'm too distraught at the bubble for colour variants bursting...

http://m.news24.com/Fin24/Economy/buffalos-antelope-caught-in-commodity-rout-20160107

I hope this doesn't threaten the sustainability of the game/hunting industry in RSA though.

On a selfish level, this should mean more affordable hunts for most of us in the short term - the savage drought alone is going to push game farmers to increase their hunting quotas.

The continuing decline of the Rand versus all hard currencies is making RSA an even more cost-effective hunting destination for our international friends:A Way To Go:

Dollar to Rand exchange to its lowest level today at 16.2 to the US dollar. Should be some great pricing on hunts due to the exchange rates. Just hoping the US and European economy does not tank.

Downfall to this "great pricing ", is that the outfitters and ph's will be working just as hard as they always have, for less money. I look for good deals on everything, so no offense meant. If these guys cannot make a living financially, why would they keep doing it??? You can only love your job so much, but, if it's not clothing your kids or feeding them then why? If folks look at this as a great thing for hunters, so be it, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I would just ask you tip more than you ever have if you are booking a hunt (because of the situation ) or already have booked a hunt (prior to this situation).

All the hunts I see are priced in US dollars so it don't seem to make much difference yet. One of the outfitters I hunted with last year increased his day fees 40% and also some of his trophy fees increased for this year. Hunts will not be sold for a loss, just standard business.

Last edited:
As long as pricing is in US dollars, the exchange rate into rands receives for the outfitter is approx. 30per cent greater than it was in June 2015, when the exchange was 11 to 1. Unless they are experiencing 30 per cent inflation during that time, the dollar is more valuable in exchange value then it was 6 months ago...of course I am sure that certain items have increased in price due to the rands fall, but not everything. If I am incorrect in this reasoning, then please tell me, but I am sure I am not the only one in this rationale. If the rand were to appreciate to, for example 6 to 1 then those hunts would increase in price for US dollars, and understandably so.

If our PH friends are getting screwed by the Rand.... Make sure you tip them nicely with US greenbacks for their hard ass work. I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

I have never considered tipping the PH in any currency but the US dollar. The tracker, skinners and domestic in Rand. Never thought the PH would be interested in any other currency but the dollar, or euro if from outside the US. Not sure what the Canadians, Russians or others may use.

the article is not about the Rand vs Dollar, it is about a global slump in the economy and IMHO the crippling drought here in South Africa at the moment.

I do not have a single animal that will cost me less to hunt with my clients. These are auction prices, it's got nothing to do with hunting.

I do not have a single animal that will cost me less to hunt with my clients. These are auction prices, it's got nothing to do with hunting.

Agree with Marius, in fact some guys raised there hunting prices to compensate for getting less for breeding animals on auctions.

I believe it all needs to be relevant but not directly linked. If one follows the price of colour variants and sees drastic falls, then immediately looks for cheap giveaway hunts then unfortunately you are mistaken. As Marius touched on, these prices do not reflect hunting prices and need to be viewed differently.
Yes maybe as time goes by there maybe one or two breeders that opt back to direct hunting but it won't happen soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!