AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
This past March, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service distributed $1.1 billion in revenues generated by the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration and Dingell-Johnson Sport Fish Restoration acts. The funding, derived from excise taxes paid by the hunting, boating and angling industries on firearms, bows and ammunition (Pittman-Robertson), and sportfishing tackle, some boat engines and small engine fuel (Dingell-Johnson), supports critical state environmental conservation and recreation projects throughout the nation.

“State wildlife agencies play an essential role in the conservation of America’s wildlife, while also generating billions of dollars for the nation’s economy through increased hunting and fishing opportunities. It’s fitting that those very sporting activities help sustain wildlife, their habitats and the agencies that manage them,” said Service Director Dan Ashe. “Our role in administering these funds reflects our long-standing partnership with the states across a broad spectrum of wildlife conservation issues.”

Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson act funds are administered by the Service’s WSFR program. To date the program has distributed more than $18 billion for state conservation and recreation projects. The recipient state fish and wildlife agencies have matched these funds with more than $5 billion over the years, primarily through hunting and fishing license revenues.

“We are proud to support our state wildlife conservation agencies,” said Hannibal Bolton, Assistant Director of the Service’s WSFR program. “Funding from the Pittman Robertson-Dingell-Johnson program helps states protect and conserve our nation’s environmental legacy for generations to come.”

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

And people say hunters and fishermen do nothing for conservation! Well I say that's a lot of dollars generated for various state wildlife departments to use in conservation!

Good to see the federal government send money where they are supposed to. Im surprised it didnt get stolen by the fed personally. I wish these articles would get more traction in the general public.

And this is also one of the reasons I roll my eyes when people say hunting will be banned. No way government gives up that kind of revenue stream, especially when for the most part people are happy to pay it.

And this is also one of the reasons I roll my eyes when people say hunting will be banned. No way government gives up that kind of revenue stream, especially when for the most part people are happy to pay it.

But, that revenue stream must go to the states and not stay in DC. See the problem.

But, that revenue stream must go to the states and not stay in DC. See the problem.

No, not really. Federal government constantly give money to state government to get other things they want.

Here is the next level to the $1.1 Billion to the states. Alaska received $48 Million.

http://www.adn.com/article/20160315/fish-and-game-gets-48-million-boost-its-budget

Fish and Game gets $48 million boost to its budget

Excise taxes paid by hunters, trappers, fishermen and boaters nationwide add up to a $48 million boost to the budget of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game [3], the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced.

Some $30 million will pay for wildlife research, access to wildlife resources, shooting ranges and hunter education efforts. Another $18 million will pay for sportfish research and management, hatcheries and aquatic education programs. Deputy Fish and Game Commissioner Kevin Brooks said the money adds up to about a quarter of his department’s $200 million annual budget.

“It’s significant,” Brooks said, noting the federal dollars are matched 3-to-1 by state money.

The funds comes from to the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration [4] and Dingell-Johnson Sport Fish Restoration [5] programs. Nationally, more than $18 billion is directed to the states by these two programs.

“Paid for by anglers, hunters, and trappers, the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration programs are undoubtedly the most successful fish and wildlife conservation programs in the world,” Fish and Game Commissioner Sam Cotten said in a press release. “The funds have allowed our biologists to ensure that innumerable fish and wildlife species in our state not only persist, but thrive to provide sustainable food resources and recreational opportunities.”

The sportfish money increased 4 percent from 2015, while the wildlife restoration money dropped 15 percent.

But in the eight years since 2008, sportfish money has dropped 10 percent while wildlife restoration funds have grown 108 percent.

Brooks attributed that sharp growth to “an unprecedented level of gun and ammo sales at the national level. It’s off the charts.”

He added the money has helped offset cuts in the state budget due to Alaska’s fiscal crisis. “But it’s left us scrambling to be able to match it,” Brooks said.

In addition, $2.5 million in new funding is headed to Alaska via a state wildlife grant program, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service. Some $680,000 of that is directed to helping with the reintroduction of the wood bison in Alaska.

Funds are distributed to states and territories based on population and geographic area. They typically address conservation needs, such as research, wildlife surveys, species and habitat management.

“The state wildlife grant program funds meaningful research that contributes directly to the conservation of fish and wildlife species of concern and prevents listings of species under the federal Endangered Species Act,” Cotten said, adding that it also provides basic information on little-studied wildlife.

And people say hunters and fishermen do nothing for conservation! Well I say that's a lot of dollars generated for various state wildlife departments to use in conservation!
And what people say that Charlie? The anti hunting uninformed zealots who really do NOTHING!

You got that exactly right Johnny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you