Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
Hi all,

A mate and I are chasing a no-bullshit FREE RANGE (ie, not high-fenced) hunt for 2016 and our primary species are Kudu and Eland. Other species wanted are Oryx, Warthog, Springbuck, and a few of the smaller guys.

Originally we were looking at Namibia but I'm concerned about the Kudu numbers there since the rabies outbreak, and whether there is good free-range Eland there. We are both bringing wives so it needs to be a comfortable camp, but we don't need 5-star...

Recommendations please?

blacks

Welcome to AH we are not to high on bulkshit here either.... :)Namibia
You could also try Mozambique, Zimbabwe.

My best always

I would try Jan du Plessis of Sebra hunting Safaris 800,000 hectares in north-western Namibia...Eland Yes, Kudu Yes, Bullshit No!

Originally we were looking at Namibia but I'm concerned about the Kudu numbers there since the rabies outbreak, and whether there is good free-range Eland there.

Concerned about Namibia and Eland... I just about rolled off my chair laughing.
The World record Eland comes from Namibia and was taken in a low fence farm from one of the largest free ranging herds in Africa.

Kudu numbers are always up and down. Certainly if they are free range. If you want guaranteed numbers you best get inside a fence otherwise you will have to take what comes.

Jaco made a good suggestion. Although they do have fences in Zimbabwe.

Good luck.

Concerned about Namibia and Eland... I just about rolled off my chair laughing.
The World record Eland comes from Namibia and was taken in a low fence farm from one of the largest free ranging herds in Africa.

Kudu numbers are always up and down. Certainly if they are free range. If you want guaranteed numbers you best get inside a fence otherwise you will have to take what comes.

Jaco made a good suggestion. Although they do have fences in Zimbabwe.

Good luck.

Very true also in Namibia... :) I think size of land should also be considered....

But you have two good suggestions on the table...

There are some areas that were badly affected by rabies most fenced areas were not, there are options in South Africa bordering the kgalagadi national park as well.

My best always

I've never been to Namibia, yet. But I hear the Oryx and Springbuck can be fantastic! Saw they are secondary species for you.

I hunted free range Cape Kudu in the East Cape of RSA with Crusader Safaris but they are a smaller than the Southern Greater kudu. And I got a Cape Eland there... We drove through a high gate to get into the area for eland but then another 40 Kilometers to get to where the Eland were... I think that qualifies as large property and free range? The cattle fences don't even slow down kudu and eland. Crusader does have an area farther North for Southern Greater kudu and Nyala, common reedbuck and I don't know what else.

Good springbuck and Oryx in the Karroo region (saw some good kudu and the eland is near there as well) which is easy enough to drive to and wonderful old colonial house to stay in with great people. The East Cape in general is a great place to take the wives. Missed a whopper of a steenbok there. Got a really good duiker in the main area near base camp. And 3 springbuck. If you go with this outfitter, ask to spend a couple nights in one of the old houses they have.

Another tip, if you wife will accompany you on the hunt, ask for a 4 door truck and you will both be a lot more comfortable with room for gear inside.

You might check with Jason at Tholo safaris in Botswana. I believe that they have good Kudu and eland. Seems like their place is about 220000 acres. 340 square miles is free range by most any definition. Bruce

There is an Outfitter called Jürgen Beddies on the eastern border of the Etosha National Park. His Safari Company name is Karagombe Hunting Safaris. They do not cater for big groups. His passion is to walk and stalk Eland. This area has free roaming eland and the other trophies is certainly not a problem.
I can send his direct details if you have any interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup Gillette! Almost forgot Jason Bridger and Clive Owen! Can't go wrong there.
You might check with Jason at Tholo safaris in Botswana. I believe that they have good Kudu and eland. Seems like their place is about 220000 acres. 340 square miles is free range by most any definition. Bruce

Yup Gillette! Almost forgot Jason Bridger and Clive Owen! Can't go wrong there.

just a correction jaco its clive eaton ;) hunting with jason and clive at tholo would be good, and the gorgeous mrs eaton :P Gorgeous:(linda) would be there to look after the wives. as gillette said its 120,000.00 hectares.

also there is jeromes place which isnt exactly small at 75,000.00 acres (30,000.00 hectares) and the equally gorgeous mrs j :P Gorgeous:...... there is a good selection of no bullshit :rolleyes: places and people to go and hunt with on here.

AHHH wayne one of mine and jacos favourite subjects.......;)

When someone has a phobia of fences I avoid the discussion. "Boma hunts" piss me off. Sadly, many hunters can't tell the difference and just associate it with a fence.

Eaton! It was early morning man!

When someone has a phobia of fences I avoid the discussion. "Boma hunts" piss me off. Sadly, many hunters can't tell the difference and just associate it with a fence.

Not a phobia at all Brickburn, just I've never hunted behind high wire and don't plan to. Not to be confused with standard livestock fencing of course...

Unfortunately it's hard to get a straight answer out of some outfits as to where you'll actually be hunting, and we don't want to get there and find it was actually represented as something it's not. Some of them should have been politicians I think. If you find that funny then good luck to you.

Thanks to all for the positive replies.

Just remember someone may have never fenced there place with high fence but that does not mean there place does not have fence around it if there neighbor put some up. So if someone did not fence there place but it has high fence around it which is it now. No one would be lying if he never fenced it himself but maybe you chase some game and see a fence. That going to ruin your hunt.

Blacks,
Should you be interested, I may have exactly what you are after in Namibia. I'm currently still in Canada, but will be back in South Africa on 15 Feb.
Please send me a pm, should you require more info.

Cheers,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

I second the option of Jason Bridger at Tholo. I recently hunted with him at Kanana and OMG! It was great! Outrageous numbers of Kudu and Eland, but the animals such as springbok are not going to be in high numbers at all. Good Duiker and Steinbok though. Great numbers of Blue Wildbeest and Oryx (Gemsbok) as well!

Not a phobia at all Brickburn, just I've never hunted behind high wire and don't plan to. Not to be confused with standard livestock fencing of course...

Unfortunately it's hard to get a straight answer out of some outfits as to where you'll actually be hunting, and we don't want to get there and find it was actually represented as something it's not. Some of them should have been politicians I think. If you find that funny then good luck to you.

Thanks to all for the positive replies.

Not the outfitters I've encountered to be honest.
Anyway good luck, you should keep in mind the reality is that you might go and not see anything to shoot..... Would you still give a positive report... Maybe it rained better a 100 miles away and the game moved this can happen in a week.

I have hunted, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Namibia and currently operate extensively in Mozambique and SA,.......all of us want to hunt a free roaming area,...

We need to keep in mind traveling to Africa is not traveling to Ohio,.... it is often confused.

Reality is, hunting a fenced 33 000 acre ranch is allot tougher than one would think and once again reality is here there are no guarantees either.
I have even invited Russ Broom (publicaly and free of charge) to hunt Buffalo with myself in SA as he was quite opinionated. He is yet to reply... :) :) :)

Sorry for the rant but in some cases we are all extremely particular about what we want and how we want it we just need to remember it might just not come by when we want it....

When hunting such areas, rabies, season rain, poaching, predation has a massive influence and hunting can change week to week.

All these factors influence large fenced properties as well.

So in light of this I ask?
If a ph does the work and hunts hard and a hunter does not get a buff in Moz or Zim should it be warrant if a bad report if one was insistent on a free roaming area?

Please understand I am merely posting a question

My best always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois