For those in the US, any hunting plans for Thanksgiving?

I had the chance to go out for early anterless muzzleloader season here in Pennsylvania. Wouldn't you know all I saw were bucks! I managed to sneak up to within 10 yards of a nice 8 point. I think I'll go out for some small game hunting around Thanksgiving since the regular deer season doesn't start until the next week and it's looking like I won't be able to take any time off from work.

I'll be at work on thanksgiving :-( But will hunt mule deer on my weekend before and after.

Always try for a whitetail that weekend, if I haven't already got one. Then its out for quail and the everpresent coyotes. Also goose and ducks. If it has fur or feathers, its in big trouble. Beats going to the stores for a christmas "bargain"!!!

Always try for a whitetail that weekend, if I haven't already got one. Then its out for quail and the everpresent coyotes. Also goose and ducks. If it has fur or feathers, its in big trouble. Beats going to the stores for a christmas "bargain"!!!
I'd always prefer being out hunting or eating a turkey over shopping any day.

Less expensive, too.!!!

I'd always prefer being out hunting or eating a turkey over shopping any day.
On Black Fridays you can always find my son and I at the states largest gun shop, searching for those irresistible pre Christmas bargains. Then down the street to the Army/Navy store to browse their selection of this years must haves. Then stop on the way home for a delicious meal that I don't have to cook or clean up after. That's the way to spend quality time with your son, it's become kind of a tradition.

I've worked my last day of the year so the rest of the year is my holliday. Deer season is open here in Texas along with turkey and of course hog and all the waterfowl. I will spend about 7-10 days in camp after any and everything that I can. Then off to michigan to chase whitetails and back for some big blue catfish here at home and quail in New Mexico and that should just about run me out of money.

My nephew, who is home from college, my oldest son, age 9, the dog and myself will be doing some water fowling in the morning. It will be my son's first time out with us, he'll be an observer only. I wanted to take him last year but didn't know if he could handle the cold. If all works out we'll bag some ducks and geese, work the dog and my 1963 Johnson Seahorse outboard motor will "experience technical difficulties" and give us some more hunting time and I'll be late to dinner with the in laws. Even if none of that happens it will be a great time!

This mornings hunt with a couple of friends.

Start of the two weeks Thanksgiving hunting season for me.

Ducks.jpg

I got an early start on a Thanksgiving hunt to catch the peak of the whitetail rut here in Idaho. The weather really cooperated for a change with some snow and temps dropping down to zero (F). The bucks we rutting hard and the hunt was a blast! I ended up taking a nice 8 point with my .280 Rem and my buddy shot a little buck with his Glock pistol. From here on out it's wolf, mountain lion and waterfowl for me :)

image.jpg

I got an early start on a Thanksgiving hunt to catch the peak of the whitetail rut here in Idaho. The weather really cooperated for a change with some snow and temps dropping down to zero (F). The bucks we rutting hard and the hunt was a blast! I ended up taking a nice 8 point with my .280 Rem and my buddy shot a little buck with his Glock pistol. From here on out it's wolf, mountain lion and waterfowl for me :)

View attachment 33747

Congrats.

Your a real man........zero F and in a flannel shirt.:notworthy:

Hahaha, thanks Wheels :D Yup, not zero there! Probably about 30 or so. In my defense, I had taken my jacket and pack off in anticipation of getting a little blood on my hands :)

On Black Fridays you can always find my son and I at the states largest gun shop, searching for those irresistible pre Christmas bargains. Then down the street to the Army/Navy store to browse their selection of this years must haves. Then stop on the way home for a delicious meal that I don't have to cook or clean up after. That's the way to spend quality time with your son, it's become kind of a tradition.
Ok Thanksgiving and Black Friday are both history, both were pretty awesome! Thanksgiving with the whole family, got up early and baked two pumpkin pies with pumpkin out of my garden and then cooked a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Man we all ate way too much. Friday got up early, drove 150 miles with my son to Grice's Gun Shop. The trip was made interesting by several snow squalls that caused white outs, nothing like driving 70 mph right into a white out. My son found a Ruger SR22 that he just couldn't live without, so it came home with us. He also bought a brick of 22LR's and I talked him into buying an 8 lb. keg of IMR 4350 for me since he has been draining my supply lately. After the gun shop we went downtown to Bob's Army/Navy store, browsed for a while but didn't find anything irresistible. So we headed straight for Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, they are known for their burgers ranging in size from a puny 1/2 lb. to a monster 6 lb. I opted for the 1/2 lb. Rueben Burger. If you never had a Rueben with a 1/2 beef burger on top of it I highly recommend it. The 150 mile drive home was a challenge just to stay awake with that sandwich in my belly, I definitely didn't need that side of onion rings. Today I'm going to can a lot of the meat I got from the whitetail buck I shot Monday morning and that will just about wrap up my holiday weekend. I hope the rest of you had an enjoyable holiday as well.

Congrats on everyones succesful and happy thanksgiving. We've been blasting the ducks and geese pretty well but its been very warm here. I got a really nice 10 point white tail thanksgiving evening before feasting on a turkey. Going to try for a turkey with my bow this evening.

I got in from Montana at 2am this morning, weather warmed up for the week we were there and the whitetail were in full rut, mulies were doing nothing! My bosses soon got his first buck and my oldest boy got his first whitetail! No wolves, just some tracks on my property.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice bucks!!! Congrats!

christmas-tree-3.gif
+
shooting-turkey.gif
+
delicious-turkey.gif
=
thanksgiving-turkey.gif

Attachments

• delicious-turkey.gif
    delicious-turkey.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 144
  • shooting-turkey.gif
    shooting-turkey.gif
    50.1 KB · Views: 171
  • thanksgiving-turkey.gif
    thanksgiving-turkey.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 155
  • christmas-tree-3.gif
    christmas-tree-3.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 195
Got this picture with my iPhone we were so close! Been putting in for over 20 years in multiple states and can't seem to draw a tag.
image.jpg

Thanks Royal, they were excited!

And having the next generation excited is what it is all about!!!!

Neither of my sons hunts.... I wasn't hunting when they were little, and by the time I started again they weren't interested very much.... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross