For those in the US, any hunting plans for Thanksgiving?

Bsums

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Africa
A lot of us get a couple extra days off for Thanksgiving which is great for chasing local game, condolences to our friends in other countries. The duck and goose hunting will be in full swing will all this cold weather. White Tail deer is at the top of the list, then the ducks/geese. Maybe a Turkey, (or three). Plus a walk or two through the fields for pheasants during mid day, although thats usually nap time. So whats everyone else up to?

Home to Montana, elk, deer and hopefully a wolf! Starting the week off Friday when my two boys get here. Taking them out to slay some fish in trinity bay. Fly to Mt Sunday for a week. Weather has finally got the elk moving a bit better than they have been. Wish y'all good hunting and a Happy Thanksgiving

Hunting Elk is a blast. One year we were out scouting on top of this small plateau and one side was a small overhang with a trail at the bottom. A whole herd went through this path single file, I got to watch them all go by from 5ft above. One of the coolest Elk hunting experiences I ever had. Good luck with the hunting! Getting a wolf is one animal I'd love to get one day, that would be a full body mount for sure.

Thanks, sounds like an experience you will never forget on that hunt. Love hunting Elk, obsessed with it actually! But you can bet, if I can lay one into a wolf it will be a full mount. I am taking my sons and my Boss and his son along so I will be helping them, one of the best parts of hunting is teaching others and watching the excitement when they get their game or have a close encounter.
Great idea for a thread, hope more join in!
Cheers,
Cody

Thanks, sounds like an experience you will never forget on that hunt. Love hunting Elk, obsessed with it actually! But you can bet, if I can lay one into a wolf it will be a full mount. I am taking my sons and my Boss and his son along so I will be helping them, one of the best parts of hunting is teaching others and watching the excitement when they get their game or have a close encounter.
Great idea for a thread, hope more join in!
Cheers,
Cody
Sweet talk the boss into giving you a pay raise during the hunt. ;) Its always interesting to hear what others are up to. We'll definitely need an update if you get a wolf.

know what you mean with , walking someone in on there first deer , cody .
its every bit as , if not more satisfying than walking one up yourself .
my youngest son also named kody , is real big on it lately .
that and walking the legs off his sister to get her a nice stag ,the last one he got her in on she wasn't confident to take a 400+ metre ,shot on a bedded up samba stag from the opposite face .
and he snuck her in over the next several hours to get him from above at just under 60 metres . mate what wouldn't I give to turn back time and be there for that one ....
the sho was good and the stag ran straight down the face ,dying on the river flat a couple of hundred metres down ,they caped him out and left clothes all over him to keep the dogs away
and walked back in there the next morning for the meat pack out with a couple of friends . heres the photo of the cape before the almost 3 hour walk out walk out.
luckily it was the coldest part of our winter at the time
love his sox ,hey.......
20131001_022831.jpg

Sweet talk the boss into giving you a pay raise during the hunt. ;) Its always interesting to hear what others are up to. We'll definitely need an update if you get a wolf.
I'll negotiate money after one is on the ground and we are a few miles from the bronco! Lol

Great story and great stag, bluey. When someone gets their first deer/big game its very exciting, I remember I got my first deer when it was -25F(with wind chill) and he had the antlers of a pronghorn but I couldn't of been happier with it.

Good idea bullthrower, your boss may not be as keen on the raise if he doesn't get an Elk. As you just dragged him around for a week freezing his butt off. Just don't let him shoot a wolf before you.

That's AWESOME Bluey! Walk me up a stag like that, who cares what socks ya got on! HaHa. My oldest got a cow elk two years ago when he was 10. Waited my whole life for that moment in time. He couldn't have been prouder if it was a 400 class bull!
image.jpg

Congrats to your son! He'll be the one guiding the hunts soon.

that was her second trophy samba stag , I was the one that got her in on the first one ,when she was 12.
that was a great day , wish l had a phone with a camera on it then , as we were after a hind for meat , so she could take her first samba , when he walked out she just frowned and wen to pass me the 06 .
should of seen her eyes light up when I whispered to her, she better shoot ,incase we don't see another one .
that was a 200 metre shot .
then she never shut up until she fell asleep that night .
wish l had some photos of that on the boat computer , to post .
im gunna have to scan some of the older photos ,when the kids were little and put on this computer .
she was 17 when tshe harvested the one in the photo, kodman is hiolding up .

Bsums I will be at my deer club in Arkansas with my brother.......which has become a tradition fir us. He is 18 years older than me and was the person who first took me hunting over 45 years ago. We will also have a work associate of mine and his son as our guests. We are all very much looking forward to it.

Bsums I will be at my deer club in Arkansas with my brother.......which has become a tradition fir us. He is 18 years older than me and was the person who first took me hunting over 45 years ago. We will also have a work associate of mine and his son as our guests. We are all very much looking forward to it.
I see you blaming your hunting addiction on your brother. Best of luck with the deer hunting!

Ducks this upcoming Saturday.

Deer hunting the 2-3 days before Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving through the weekend with both sides of the family. A good time to share old hunting stories. The stories tend to get better and more exciting the more years we are removed from the event. Some of the hunts where I was a participant I barely recognize the story.:ROFLMAO:

Deer hunting the week after Thanksgiving.

The next weekend, well, probably whatever the wonderful longsuffering wife wants to do!:love::love::love:

If we are not in the playoffs and as of last Friday night we are not, Team Fet goes deer hunting for Thanksgiving. 10 years ago the evening before Thanksgiving Day Ty shot a 10point buck with his grandfather. The next morning his older brother shot a 10point buck with his grandfather. After that everybody in camp wanted to go hunt with grandpa.(y)

Sunday my son-in-law and I will be heading to West Virginia to watch some whitetails bucks chase does around. And hopefully abruptly and rudely interrupt their plans.

Will be on the lookout for hogs (as always) and perhaps try my luck on a wall-hanger buck. I've seen a few good bucks, but nothing spectacular so I'm holding off. Our deer season is only 8 days. On the other hand, quail season will be in full swing, I know where there are some coveys and I love upland bird hunting best!

If we are not in the playoffs and as of last Friday night we are not, Team Fet goes deer hunting for Thanksgiving. 10 years ago the evening before Thanksgiving Day Ty shot a 10point buck with his grandfather. The next morning his older brother shot a 10point buck with his grandfather. After that everybody in camp wanted to go hunt with grandpa.(y)

sounds like grandpa, is the man .......

Just whitetail for me, not even sure exactly when over the holiday I'll be going yet, but I will be in the woods at some point.

I'll be out in the woods of New Hampshire hoping a deer is stupid enough to walk in front of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg