Fixed power scopes

RolandtheHeadless

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Is anyone else a fan of fixed-power scopes? Almost everyone uses variable scopes these days. Except me and a maybe a few other troglodytes.

One of the advantages of a fixed power scope is its simplicity. No dials or adjustments to make, once you've focused the ocular lens for your eye. No constant fiddling with a dial to change powers as the country you're hunting changes from near to far. You don't have the possibility of the reticle shifting as you change power because you're never changing power. You don't risk the embarrassment of encountering a bull moose during rut or grizzly bear anytime, at 25 yards. . . while your scope has been left on 10 power.

Another advantage is that you force yourself to get used to a particular power, which will make you a better shot at that power. The guy with one rifle is often the best shot among the typical hunting crew. The same aptitude from always practicing with the same rifle and scope combination is likely to improve your shooting. Shooting a bunch of different rifle/scope combinations (which I confess I do) makes you a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none.

Two of my modern single-shot rifles wear fixed-power scopes. For the simplicity theme of a single-shot rifle, a fixed-power scope is the perfect compliment.

Jim

I like fixed power scopes for certain applications. I've been looking for a decent fixed 4x or 6x for the 333j. So far no luck.
I used a 4x on my 300 winmag for many years. And surprise suprise, it worked!!

troglodytes............I remember that song..........caveman!

I have an old Rem 721 in 30-06 with a Weaver K4 scope with the post/crosshair.

You make a compelling case Roland. For years I used a 3X & it worked. Now both of my "hunting" rifles have1-6X set on 3X since they were sighted. I've about convinced myself to find an old Weaver El Paso made K3 Duplex Reticle to go on the 1952 M70. Just seems like the right thing to do.

I read somewhere that low power fixed scopes are the norm for older hunters, while younger hunters prefer high power variable scopes. I had a number of old Weaver K 4(s) i.e. made in El Paso rebuilt by Iron Sight and put them on sporterized 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers for each of my grandkids. At least they will start out "old school."

Last edited:
For 15 years I had a 4 power Trijicon on my 375, I could hit just about anything with it, but have just replaced it with a 3-12x40, the reason is that a lot of clients use my 375 and want more zoom.

I totally agree there is a place for fixed power scopes. @sierraone , have to agree, take all the fun...

Interesting point of view I really hadn't considered. I only have one rifle with a fixed power scope, a 30-06 with a 4x Leopold. I do have two 2 3/4 Redfields I use as backup ( fitted with Warne QD rings) for variable scopes. I've always considered a fixed power a compromise to have less things to go wrong as I like to jack up the power to see better. JMO.

You make a compelling case Roland. For years I used a 3X & it worked. Now both of my "hunting" rifles have1-6X set on 3X since they were sighted. I've about convinced myself to find an old Weaver El Paso made K3 Duplex Reticle to go on the 1952 M70. Just seems like the right thing to do.

The old Weavers are nice but the old Lyman 2 1/2x and 4x with post are really nice.
I have a 4x on my 9.3x62 and a 2 1/2x on my .458 Winchester.
If you gave me a variable I would sell it to buy a nice fixed power.

Fixed power scopes are great. Leupold's FX-II 4x33 is probably all the scope you'll ever need on a regular hunting rifle, and their custom shop offers a nice 3x for dangerous game rifles.

Excellent question RolandtheHeadless and yourself as well as others here have made xcellent points on the subject also.

I'm +1 with ikeda - I'd sell any variable power scope to buy a fixed power one.
My favorite is the 1980's vintage Zeiss 4x, with the rubber coating over the front bell.
It's hell to get old.

Last edited:
Is anyone else a fan of fixed-power scopes? Almost everyone uses variable scopes these days. Except me and a maybe a few other troglodytes.

One of the advantages of a fixed power scope is its simplicity. No dials or adjustments to make, once you've focused the ocular lens for your eye. No constant fiddling with a dial to change powers as the country you're hunting changes from near to far. You don't have the possibility of the reticle shifting as you change power because you're never changing power. You don't risk the embarrassment of encountering a bull moose during rut or grizzly bear anytime, at 25 yards. . . while your scope has been left on 10 power.

Another advantage is that you force yourself to get used to a particular power, which will make you a better shot at that power. The guy with one rifle is often the best shot among the typical hunting crew. The same aptitude from always practicing with the same rifle and scope combination is likely to improve your shooting. Shooting a bunch of different rifle/scope combinations (which I confess I do) makes you a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none.

Two of my modern single-shot rifles wear fixed-power scopes. For the simplicity theme of a single-shot rifle, a fixed-power scope is the perfect compliment.

Jim
I just put a straight six power Leopold on a 416 Ruger. I like it a lot, I also put the quick detachable rings from Alaska arms. It's a nice little set up

I just put a straight six power Leopold on a 416 Ruger. I like it a lot, I also put the quick detachable rings from Alaska arms. It's a nice little set up
I am with the other ancient posters here. Other than working up a load, I rarely touch a power dial - doing almost all my hunting at 3x or 4x. Back in the day, I shot a lot of game here and in Germany with a Ruger No.1 in .270 with a Lyman All American 6X. Only time I was ever handicapped was in poor light trying to see those super fine crosshairs. And like most of the curmudgeons here, I have had a number of Weaver K4's. I currently have a Heym Ruger in 7x65r with a rail mounted fixed 4x - with its typically pencil thin European barrel and minimalist Bavarian stock, the scope makes for a wonderful, almost petite little deer rifle. The only problem with most of the older models and the few remaining newer ones is the optics quality. A modern higher end variable is an amazing optical instrument. And I have several times been very grateful for that extra 20-30 minutes of shooting light at the beginning and end of the day.

But Larry - a fixed 6 on a .416?

Last edited:
But Larry - a fixed 6 on a .416?

No real animas or affinity for fixed power scopes for others ... but find the additional light gathering capabilities of the lower power variables to be quite useful. I have a 1 X 4 trijicon with an amber dot that I can shoot pigs WAY past or before normal shooting hours that is on my AR on the darkest night and can shoot out to 50 yards in a half moon light. I have a Leopold 1.75 X 6 on the .375 which I haven't actually shot in really low light ... but I have played with it in the woods behind the house and it really draws some light in at those critical last minutes.

I did flinch a bit when I saw a fixed 6 on a .416?!? I guess the QD rings allow the open sight option for REALLY close work and adding the scope back on when you move out a bit. I have never owned a rifle with QD rings ... and probably never will because I don't have the eyes to shoot open sights anymore ... but it seems that the QD rings add more complexity than a variable scope ... IF your purpose of having a fixed scope was to reduce complexity as proposed by the OP.

No real animas or affinity for fixed power scopes for others ... but find the additional light gathering capabilities of the lower power variables to be quite useful. I have a 1 X 4 trijicon with an amber dot that I can shoot pigs WAY past or before normal shooting hours that is on my AR on the darkest night and can shoot out to 50 yards in a half moon light. I have a Leopold 1.75 X 6 on the .375 which I haven't actually shot in really low light ... but I have played with it in the woods behind the house and it really draws some light in at those critical last minutes.

I did flinch a bit when I saw a fixed 6 on a .416?!? I guess the QD rings allow the open sight option for REALLY close work and adding the scope back on when you move out a bit. I have never owned a rifle with QD rings ... and probably never will because I don't have the eyes to shoot open sights anymore ... but it seems that the QD rings add more complexity than a variable scope ... IF your purpose of having a fixed scope was to reduce complexity as proposed by the OP.
It works, I have a 416 Ruger and I had a straight six power Leopold scope laying around so I put the quick detach mounts on and tried it out. When you throw the rifle up the scope picture is right there. I've shot it from 20 yards to 100. I also have 5 inches of eye relief which is plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg