Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Asia/M.East
Five Zim tuskers poisoned
Submitted by NamibianSun on Mon, 2016-05-30 01:00
zim122905_1.jpg

Five elephants have been poisoned with cyanide in a protected forest area in western Zimbabwe, the first reports of poisonings in months, according to reports on Saturday.
The dead elephants were found by a patrol tracking poachers in the Amandundumela area of the Gwaai Forest.
"Forest protection personnel together with ZRP [police] officers were alerted to this incident and upon tracking the spoor, three elephant carcasses were discovered with the ivory already removed," Forestry Commission spokesperson Violet Makoto told the state-run Chronicle.
"The team also discovered two more elephant carcasses [on Friday]," she added.
Cyanide widely available on black market
In 2013 Zimbabwe experienced its first major cyanide poisoning incidents. More than 200 elephants were killed in and around Hwange National Park.
Last October, more than 60 elephants were reported killed in another spate of cyanide poisonings in Hwange and Kariba, in the north of the country.
Makoto told the Chronicle that four elephants were killed in February in the Gwaai Forest. In March forestry guards seized 5kgs of cyanide from three suspected poachers who managed to escape, she said.
Cyanide, used in gold mining, is reported to be widely available on Zimbabwe's black market.
Authorities say that some areas, including Hwange and Gonarezhou National Park in the south-east of the country have too many elephants.
But in other areas, including the Zambezi Valley in northern Zimbabwe, elephants have been hard-hit by poachers.

Very sad! Is the whole place falling apart?

i believe it has been for years.

Sad!!!

Sad news, wonder how many are poisoned in remote areas that never reach the news...

Sad story !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross