First time safari to South Africa

first safari

AH member
Reaction score
I recently attended an SCI banquet and purchased a safari package for my son and I.......it included a lot, but not hide treatment and shipping of trophies back to U.S. Strictly as a budgetary planning exercise, can some folks give me an idea of what price of this service ends up costing if each of us is lucky to take several animals like kudu, wildebeest, hartebeest, blesbuck, impala and warthog? (so 8 to 10 animals total)

Regular on 10 animals you are probably looking at about 2k for dip and shipping . This excludes if there are cites permits involved which it should not on most plains game . That is landed in the USA . The rest would be clearing fees and transport to final destination ! Hope this helps ! This is only if the mounts be done in another country ! If mounts are done there it depends on the taxidermist you use . Your outfitter should be able to give you a fairly good idea comparing recent shipments .

Happy hunting !!!

This is a mystical area with a lot of variability.
All depends who treats it, who packs it, who transports it.
Where from, where to. Zimbabwe, South Africa - Los Angeles or NYC
Finished shoulder mount trophies or euro mounts,

You can contact a reputable shipping company like Safari Cargo Systems (South Africa) and they will estimate for you.

D&P can be quoted by a taxidermist your Outfitter can suggest.

These will set you up for budgeting.

I recently attended an SCI banquet and purchased a safari package for my son and I.......it included a lot, but not hide treatment and shipping of trophies back to U.S. Strictly as a budgetary planning exercise, can some folks give me an idea of what price of this service ends up costing if each of us is lucky to take several animals like kudu, wildebeest, hartebeest, blesbuck, impala and warthog? (so 8 to 10 animals total)

With Richard, for dipping, packing and shipping your looking at $300 - $350 per head. Remember the more trophies you put in a crate the less it becomes in proportion.

Not that hard to get a solid quote, ask your outfitter, he should provide you with this quite easily.

My best always.

Welcome to AH.

I have had 16 trophies shipped in a single crate for $2500 there was room for 5 or 6 more. These were tanned hides so the weight is reduced dramatically. (tanning cost is not included which replaces a portion of the dip/pack charge).

They work on volume the more you put in the proportionately less it becomes per trophy... Correct...

That's the catch.

My very best always

Welcome to AH.

I have had 16 trophies shipped in a single crate for $2500 there was room for 5 or 6 more. These were tanned hides so the weight is reduced dramatically. (tanning cost is not included which replaces a portion of the dip/pack charge).

Welcome to AH !

Welcome AH.
Price for Dip and Pack and shipping will vary depending on your Safari country.
make sure your PH an the dip an pack have the paperwork for your trophy's filled out correctly.

Find your taxidermists and your import company now. I contact my taxidermist and they provide me with 30 to 50 identification tags for my trips. You may use up to 4 tags per animal, however most of the time you will use 2 to 3 tags. These tags will have your name and address, importer name and address and taxidermist name and address.

Make sure that you will be able to combine both parties animals in one shipping crate.

Many taxidermist will have a dip and pack and shipper they prefer to use. Ask.

Costs will depend on number of animals that will be included. Your cost probably will be around $2,000

Here is the price list for the Taxidermist I use on the East Cape hope it helps.

Attachments

• USA DOLLAR 2014.pdf
    373.1 KB · Views: 210
Here is the price list for the Taxidermist I use on the East Cape hope it helps.
these guys also came highly reccoended from the outfit that will be our hosts in july .
after seeing the mounts they did for you bobby ,qnd typing with them , they will be doing ours d/p +tanned flat skins & all our euro mounts
thanks again for that info ,mate .
:beer:

let me add.....

Thanks for great responses guys!......

I am a taxidermist (30 years now and 1994 NTA Taxidermist of the Year)....appreciate the great feedback. If I could ask one more question........based on everyone's experience on a 7 day hunt, is it unreasonable to assume my son and I will be able to take 4 or 5 animals each or is that totally unrealistic? (I am well aware, after spending lots of hours in the deer stand and duck blind over last 35 years that some days just aren't fruitful but never been to Africa and large herds of animals.) Just trying to gage whether or not I'll end up extending the hunt a couple days when all is said and done. Once I'm there.....seems like the daily rate is the least of the expenses I'll incur.

Let me add,....... I'll be hunting Limpopo area.

Thanks for great responses guys!......

I am a taxidermist (30 years now and 1994 NTA Taxidermist of the Year)....appreciate the great feedback. If I could ask one more question........based on everyone's experience on a 7 day hunt, is it unreasonable to assume my son and I will be able to take 4 or 5 animals each or is that totally unrealistic? (I am well aware, after spending lots of hours in the deer stand and duck blind over last 35 years that some days just aren't fruitful but never been to Africa and large herds of animals.) Just trying to gage whether or not I'll end up extending the hunt a couple days when all is said and done. Once I'm there.....seems like the daily rate is the least of the expenses I'll incur.

Let me add,....... I'll be hunting Limpopo area.

Daily rate is the least of your worries.

You can bang off that many trophies in that time. Certainly if you are hunting 1X1. It will not be as fun though.

Take a couple extra days and relax as you hunt. It also takes the pressure off the PH. You will also have some time to be a little more picky on specimens.

Given those credentials you'll have to get your trophies done in Africa. :)

First Safari, welcome to AH. Africa is a paradise for hunting, the only limits are your financial means and ability to shoot. In one 10 day safari you will see more game than 20 years of hunting in the USA unless you are fortunate to own good land, not to many people do. I find if I hunt hard I can average 2 animals a day, 3 if they are small. It shouldn't be about how many tags you fill though enjoy everything, chances are you will be back, the hunting is that good.

Even hunting 2x1 4 or 5 animals each will not be a problem.You can almost figure one animal in the morning and one in the evening hunt time.That is if you do your part and make the shots.The biggest problem will be maybe not holding out for the best trophy quality you could take in that short of time looking for that many animals.If on your list is impala,blesbuck,springbuck not as hard to do.But add a trophy class kudu or nyala and you should plan more time I think.Your alreay going to save on the mounting since your in the business so I say make it a 8 to10 day hunt less pressure more fun and you can be alittle more picky on what you take.Maybe if you tell us whats on your list we could give you a better idea if 7 days will be enough.

myself: red hartebeest, black Wildebeest, warthog (porcupine if I could find one), (impala and blesbok are part of hunt package already) perhaps Kudu.
my son: Gemsbok, warthog, springbok,( impala and blesbok part of hunt package) I'm guessing he'll probably try for one other animal unless he accompanies me a day or two.

if your hunting 1x1 I think you will be more then fine.2x1 you can still do it but may not have time for extra animals if you decide to add something.Worst thing that can happen if you add a few days is you have extra time to shot another animal or take a side trip sight seeing.Most who go wish they would have booked more time after being there.If time and money limits you to only 7 days then I say go for it.Just make sure it is 7 hunting days not 7 days with the day you getting there and day leaving counting in your days to hunt.You may get to hunt half days depending how far you are from the airport but thats normal not a good idea as you will be on the tired side getting there after the flight plus you need to check your guns.

You guys good shots?
Screw up once and your hunting day just changed. Perhaps the next couple days turn into tracking days.

How picky you going to be?

I passed on every Kudu presented to me in 6 days of hunting on my first hunt. Not unhappy, I just knew what I wanted and it did not show up.
I then went on to hunt another three days straight not shot anything in pursuit of one animal.
So, it took 9 days of hunting to get my first Kudu.

I have also taken three animals in one day, shear luck the quality trophies presented themselves.

Your skill and goals will change everything.
A good outfitter will provide you shot opportunities for representative trophies in what you are looking for. Not likely all on the same property. You may want to check into concession travel days with this outfitter.

yup check with the place you booked your hunt if you need to travel when there.I would bet with your list you will be in the same areas as all the animals hang in the same kind of areas.Ask if they have tracking dogs for recover of animals as they can save alot of time.Just remeber they make there money putting you on animals and they try there best to get your animals in the time frame.There is thousand of what if's that could happen but more then likely wont with any luck.You must decide if you want to be on that I need to get one everytime i hunt kind of pressure.7 days can be done 10 days makes it more fun and no pressure to rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross