First Safari

forest

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hello , I am new to this site and can,t believe all the information that can be found here . I am considering going on a safari in 2012 & would like to get a little information . I was thinking of a 10 or 14 day cape buffalo & plaines game hunt in Zimbabwe . I was thinking of taking my non hunting wife along but don't know if that is a good idea or not . Also has what area would be best where you could have a chance for buffalo , kudu , warthog . As you may have guessed this will be my first time to Africa . Any information would be appericated .Thanks

I can't help you too much on info about Zimbabwe, but I do believe you can find places there that have all three of those animals. Taking your wife particularly if you make it into more than just hunting I think is an excellent idea. Be forewarned, I took my non-hunting wife to RSA last year and amongst the heads that will be coming back from the taxidermist there is an impala that the non-hunting wife shot. She is now considering herself a hunter. This is a fantastic situation for me to easily get a kitchen pass to go again but is going to be hell on the taxidermy bills!

One piece of advice I would offer is that it seems the economy is improving and I'm hearing that many of the outfitters are booked solid for 2011 and are scheduling pretty well for 2012 already. So, while I wouldn't just rush out and book the first hunt I found available, you may indeed want to not take too much time either.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to AH forest! Good luck researching your Zim hunt.

First of all welcome to the site. There are plenty of experienced hunters willing to share their experiences with you.

Zimbabwe is an excellent choice for safari. Bringing your non-hunting wife is a great idea. If you are lucky like me she will start hunting after the first trip.

My standard answer to the question of operators is as follows.

Martin Pieters. He is Chairman of the ZPHGA in Zimbabwe. He currently hunts Omay North and Omay South which is a total of 2,000,000 acres of unfenced area along Lake Kariba. There is good fishing on the lake and he runs a first class operation. I hunted with him in 2009 and will do so again this year. He also post on here as Marty

Martin Pieters Safaris :: Omay Zimbabwe Safaris :: Welcome

Buzz Charlton is also very good. I hope to hunt with him in 2012. I only know him from the shows and by reputation but would trust him on any safari.
African Hunting Safaris - Charlton McCallum Safaris

Mokore Safaris is another great outfit. The Duckworth's have been in the business since 1979 and are above reproach. I hunted with them in 2010. Neil Duckworth, his brother Gary, and Father Barrie are as good of people as you will ever find, as is Martin and Buzz.
Mokore Safaris - Big Game Hunting in Zimbabwe and Mozambique

Martin and Buzz answer emails promptly. Mokore because of their location is a little slower. Mark Young books for them stateside. He works with Adam Clements who post on here from time to time. Mark's email is mark@safaritrackers.com

Here are a couple of my adventures:
http://www.africahunting.com/mozambique-hunting-reports/3824-mozambique-zimbabwe-mokore-safaris.html

http://www.africahunting.com/zimbabwe-hunting-reports/1515-tuskless-buffalo-martin-pieters.html

There are also plenty of other good operators in Zim. HHK, Zambezi Hunters, Roger Whittal, come to mind immediately.

This is also my standard disclaimer. I am not an agent nor receive anything from these guys. I love Zimbabwe and all I want is to see is the Zimbos succeed.

Hi forest, welcome to the forums.

Mike gave you really solid advice! Please do yourself a favor and look over his information.

Welcome to the forum, you will love it here.

As far as taking your wife, I would recommend and admire those who do, whether she hunts or not. I am doing a plains game hunt this June in SA (which I won on this site through Koedoeberg) and I am taking my wife and 5 year old son, they are very excited. I don't know about where you will be hunting, as far as living conditions i.e. drop camp or lodge, but, check with your outfitter and be sure you wife knows about the conditions in which you will be staying prior to the trip. Then let her make the choice. Scott.

Thanks for all the informative replies . Another question I have is what is the advantage of booking with a agent as compared to the outfitter direct ? Lee

Welcome to the Forum Forest!

I think Mike gave you some pretty good names right there.

Best regards
Louis van Bergen

Forest,
You have gotten some sound advise. Make sure you look into the political sitiuation in Zimbabwe and discuss this with any outfitt your considering. I was all but booked there for 2012. I am a little hestitant at this point.
I would put 2-3 days of sightseeing on the front of your safari. It will please the family and give you a couple of days to get over Jet lag and any lost baggage.
As far as using an agent goes, it comes down to how much research and work do you want to do your self. You can easily do this yourself through the info on this site and others. Or you can find a reputiple agent, tell him what your looking for and let him set it up.

Hi Forest,
Welcome to the forum!
As Mike and Louis said, Those are some top outfits that have been mentioned for Zimbabwe. I have no doubt that you will have an awesome trip with any one of those.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Plus one on sightseeing before the hunt. We are flying to Vic Falls and spending two days touring the area before we go hunting. My wife is especially happy with that decision.

I have booked with and without agents.

If your outfitter in Africa responds in a timely manner it is not bad booking direct. Keep in mind in many countries (or at least areas) access to the internet is not like the US. Depending on office staff you may not get a response for a week or two. Some respond very timely. Money is usually wired directly to a bank account and most use a US bank.

An agent in the states is in the same time zone and should be able to answer 99 percent of your questions immediately. Tim Farren post on here also as Tim416. He is an agent I would recommend as is Mark Young who is also posting on Africa Hunting. An agent usually represent several operators and could match your hunt to your needs and budget.

Forest, if live near Dallas or Reno the safari club shows are a great place to meet agents and operators. It is nice to shake a hand and look them in the eyes prior to booking.

There should be no difference in pricing using an agent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!