First Safari Animal List

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys,

So after a lot of thinking and research, I'm getting very close to a final list for my safari next year. Here it is...

Blesbuck (included)
Springbuck (included)
Kudu
Nyala
Red Lechwe
Wildebeest or Gemsbok
Impala

I originally wanted to take an Eland rather than a Lechwe but after seeing the cost of the taxidermy on an Eland, I'm going to save that for a future trip when I might be able to take the larger variety rather than the cape one. I also already have a 36" cow gemsbok from NM so I'd be leaning towards a Wildebeest. The reason Gemsbok is on there is that I couldn't pass up a 40" bull gemsbok if one showed up. What do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions but have to decide on at least the trophy species (Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe) sooner rather than later.

Sounds like a good start. What I've done is put together a priority list group - say:

Priority 1; Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe
Priority 2 - Wildebeest or Gemsbok
Priority 3 - the others

And told the PH, even if we have not gotten Priority 1 out of the way, if a good one of the other two categories presents itself, go after it. Provides the PH with a focus while being flexible to adapt to what shows up. Worked well last time and I've had the same conversation for this year's hunt.

John

Great start and great to think about.

That being said, pick a couple of priority animals and then leave the list loose after that. Take what Africa gives you and be willing to switch it up after there.

Just my two cents. :)

Impressive first safari list! Kudu Nyala and Lechwe all nice trophies! Best of luck, hope you get all your after!

Thanks guys! Where I'm going I have to reserve the trophy animals in advance due to their quota system so Kudu, Nyala, and Lechwe must planned early. Kudu is definitely my #1. I'm willing to be flexible beyond that as much as able.

Sheets I like your list. Great advice from Royal also. Good luck and post us a report when you get back!

Hey guys,

So after a lot of thinking and research, I'm getting very close to a final list for my safari next year. Here it is...

Blesbuck (included)
Springbuck (included)
Kudu
Nyala
Red Lechwe
Wildebeest or Gemsbok
Impala

I originally wanted to take an Eland rather than a Lechwe but after seeing the cost of the taxidermy on an Eland, I'm going to save that for a future trip when I might be able to take the larger variety rather than the cape one. I also already have a 36" cow gemsbok from NM so I'd be leaning towards a Wildebeest. The reason Gemsbok is on there is that I couldn't pass up a 40" bull gemsbok if one showed up. What do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions but have to decide on at least the trophy species (Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe) sooner rather than later.
Pick 2 primary species then take what Africa gives you:) Enjoy the ride and Embrace the experience!

dt

Congrats on planning your first safari and welcome to the site!

As you're asking, I'll give you my best advise. As much as possible, hunt the endemic species for the area, that is if you want to have the best hunt experience you can get. Now there are differences in what is important to hunters, and those differences are as broad as we are all individuals, so if the actual trophy is the most important thing to you, perhaps ignore my advice. So unless you really want one bad, or unless you are going to a place like the Natal, skip the Nyala until you can get to an area further North where they are endemic. Unless you never expect to get there. Also looking at the web site of your outfitter, they have their premium animals that tend to be pricey as most or many are not endemic to the East Cape. Such as red lechwe... Although the lechwe there can be very nice, they are very easy to hunt. I'm guilty of taking one and although it is a beautiful trophy, in hindsight I wish I had left it to take on another hunt in the natural area for them... although that will prove more difficult than Nyala, so I would suggest you prioritize the lechwe above the nyala.

I'm sure you know the East Cape kudu, although the same species as the Greater Southern, the cape variety is smaller however they tend to be more beautifully colored and can have brilliant capes. And most hunters recognize the two separately so I would recommend you take a nice cape kudu and make it a high priority as you're planning... Besides, they are lots of fun to hunt!

You don't say whether you are talking about a black or blue wildebeest... I highly recommend taking a black in the EC. They have lots and of great trophy quality and decent prices. Then consider a red hartebeest, there are lots of good ones in the EC and again, tend to be reasonable. They are a critter most people don't think of until they see them in the flesh. But they make a great trophy and then you're on your way to the red, black and blue "beest slam" LOL.

Watch for oppertunity on a good impalla and take that as Africa gives it to you. Skip the gemsbok until you can get to Namibia or at least the Kalahari in RSA.

Keep some room in your checkbook for a duiker and moutain reedbuck, they have very good ones in the EC and they are economical.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Here is how I look at making a list. We all have animals we want and would like to take. Some want to hunt were they think they come from great if you plan on hunting all the countries but if not what do you do.

You planning in hunting zambia for a red lechwe if not you better take one were you can afford to if you want one.

As for nyala again you going to natal in sa because if not your not taking one were they are believed to come from. I am hunting nyala this year at a place that was stocked back in the early 70's with nyala from natal. That is good enough for me to say my nyala is as good as any other.

The whole capekudu vs greater is what you want to believe. I want one from both places and the cape ones dont cost as much but cape wise I think they are nicer.

So many animals have been raised in SA that to me there is no bad place to hunt one. Some hunts will be easier then if you hunt them in there home country but what can you do about that but hunt 5 or 6 countries and spend the money.

The whole bs about taking what africa gives you is getting old to me or if the ph eyes get big you better take it. Well that great to say if you have funds to do so or want all the animals but that is not for everyone. I am not saying not to be opened to listing to a ph say that is a great one but in the end it is your choice. If you dont want an animal for some reason that is your call.

Go hunt what you want and if your list changes great do that if you want. Dont feel no pressure to take something not on your list because of any reason other then you want to.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Where I'm going I have to reserve the trophy animals in advance due to their quota system so Kudu, Nyala, and Lechwe must planned early. Kudu is definitely my #1. I'm willing to be flexible beyond that as much as able.
Sheets, unless your outfitter is way more successful than most this year, I doubt you will have many issues being able to get what you want once you get over there.... Most outfitters are complaining about business being way down this year, so reserve your kudu and anything else you really want bad, but take that all with a grain of salt;) You get there and they may have more available than they want to admit..... I find it very hard to believe that they will tell you no you can't shoot that animal standing in front of you....

The only way that comment makes any sense is if they are so busy they have to have self imposed quotas, possible but unlikely this year. Or they are a put and take outfitter, at least for those species. In other words, they go buy the animals from a breeder, dart or otherwise capture them and release them into a fenced area prior to your arrival... But that cannot be the case because it would mean their website is all BS ;)

Thanks billc. That's a lot of info I'll think about.

Sheets, unless your outfitter is way more successful than most this year, I doubt you will have many issues being able to get what you want once you get over there.... Most outfitters are complaining about business being way down this year, so reserve your kudu and anything else you really want bad, but take that all with a grain of salt;) You get there and they may have more available than they want to admit..... I find it very hard to believe that they will tell you no you can't shoot that animal standing in front of you....

The only way that comment makes any sense is if they are so busy they have to have self imposed quotas, possible but unlikely this year. Or they are a put and take outfitter, at least for those species. In other words, they go buy the animals from a breeder, dart or otherwise capture them and release them into a fenced area prior to your arrival... But that cannot be the case because it would mean their website is all BS ;)

Great points Bob. Nothing like building a sense of urgency as a way to sell more is there? Sometimes it is the last car on the lot, and sometimes there is another right behind the building waiting to be brought to the front. :)

Here is another great point that has been indirectly made by Bob and Bill. Some people want to hunt where the animal naturally occurs, some don't care at all, and most of us will make an exceptiion if the price is right. I'm much more more in agreement with Bob's opinion on this one than Bill's. Both Sable and Nyala I have no intention of shooting unless in a natutally occuring area. That being said, if someone offers me an $800 Nyala next trip and it is a nice one, BANG!

The point though is this. All of our opinions are right, for us. So what you have to do is figure out what is right, for you. Enjoy the rest of the planning!!!

@billc I don't disagree with you on most of your points, as I think we both said, it all depends upon the individual. I do disagree on your point about sticking to a strict plan... especially on a first trip. There is so many species and so much wonderment when you get there, it is about impossible to know what to expect ahead of time.. Unless you are a real fanatic and really did fully research everything! Which Bill, I suspect you are and did! LOL I mean that in an endearing way, it's a compliment... I look up to you in that ability to delve in deeper than some of us can. ;)

Remembering my first trip, heck I didn't even know what a mountain reedbuck was! And it ended up being my first African animal and if not Roland Ward, darn close. I had the talk with my PH about my budget, which excluded nyala and lechwe on that first trip, both were over $3000 at that time and place.... and told him that other stuff was an option and if he saw an outstanding specimen to point it out! Within the first 5 minutes of our first drive into the property, the PH slows down and asks if I was serious about that wanting to shoot anything that was an outstanding specimen.. I said "yes, why?" He shut the truck off and said "get out and shoot that mountain reedbuck right now!" Walk around a corner, little glassing by the PH to confirm, on the sticks, boom, flop, ok let's see what a mountain reedbuck is!

As for my comment on the lechwe,
I originally wanted to take an Eland rather than a Lechwe but after seeing the cost of the taxidermy on an Eland, I'm going to save that for a future trip when I might be able to take the larger variety rather than the cape one.

If Sheets is going to hunt a Lord Derby Eland, he may also have the opportunity to take a lechwe up North!

Just for some perspective, the Nyala price is 1800 and the Lechwe is 1700.

Just for some perspective, the Nyala price is 1800 and the Lechwe is 1700.
Darn that sucks LOL, Expensive compared to other critters but cheap enough to make you think! Well you get to decide;)

All part of the fun!

Those prices seemed very good compared to a lot of places I looked at after winning this hunt in an auction.

Welcome to the site! On my first trip I had taken the "package" animals already and the last day was a free-for-all. I could take an eland or a waterbuck. The P.H. asked which to go after, and I said if they were both standing in the path in front of me, I would shoot the eland. My point is, you will eventually decide. It is hard not to want all of them, especially on your first trip. As some have said, your next trip may have different opportunities. Take the ones you have available now, and enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross