Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada
Well I got the bug to go hunting after buying my Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70. I decided to go on a guided Florida Hog Hunt. I never shot the gun so I got to sight it in at the hunting area. My shooting it in consisted of two shots at a coke can at about 25 yards. Perfect hog distance according to my guide. The gun shot a few inches high using the lowest leaf on the sight, which I expected being that close. The point of aim was in line with the can for both shots. I got to see some other exotics while cruising around for hogs. I told the guide that I really didn't want to use the dogs or tree stand, but would prefer a stalk. He said that the dogs would be a good way to start the stalk and maybe see if anything was in the vacinity. The dogs were working some woods behind us, when I spoted a nice hog sneaking through the thicket ahead of us. We started on our stalk and eventually caught the hog crossing a large field. He said, "here is your chance for your first trophy hog" . The hog was about 125-150 yards across the field along a fenceline. I cocked the right hammer and let one fly. The hog dropped straight to the ground which surprised me and the guide. What surprised us even more is that it got back on its feet and came towards us, but I don't think it had much life left in it. I let the left barrel rip and bowled him over in the field. The dogs heard shots and finally showed up to give the dead hog a sniff. All in all a good day. I pulled the trigger, the Kodiak went bang (a good thing) and hit its mark. Hog is about 200 pounds, with nice cutters. Not a monster, but my first kill in 20 years. I know it's not Africa or some exotic place, but this is what Florida has to offer....and lots of them.....Still exciting!

hoghunt015-vi.jpg
hoghunt019-vi.jpg
hoghunt008-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: crs
....Tarawa.. glad to see you got the hunting bug back in you!! That is a nice hog!! I never hunted one of them only shot a warthog in AFrica whih was fun.. Some day I will hunt hogs when I go on my exotic hunt!! Looks like some nice exotics on the ranch you were at!!

Well done !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg