Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
I just returned from Namibia, via J'Burg a couple of days ago. Air Namibia out of WHoek made the return trip a true adventure......one in which Opus1 had warned me about prior to booking plane tickets.

So we get to WH airport Saturday, August 20th, a couple hours early only to find long lines for both SAA and Air Namibia. We had purchased out tickets late January so I wasn't worried about it. When we (3 of us total) get up to the window the lady informed us there were no more seats on the flight we were booked for (Flt 727) and that we would be bumped to flight 729 leaving at 4:30pm. We were pissed off mightily, but what can you do? After letting them know how pissed off we were, we grudgingly accepted since there were no other alternatives. The SAA flights looked booked as well while looking at their long lines.

I could smell trouble since this would allow us only 45 minutes upon arrival in JBurg to take bus transfer to terminal, get boarding passes, go through security, and get to Delta gate for FLT 201. If I had not bribed some security guy in JBurg with $20 to let us go to the front of the hour long line in security check we would probably still be in JBurg somewhere. We made it to the Delta gate while they were literally starting to close the door to the plane, but hey let us board. What a relief.

My buddy took his bow, and neither of the other two of us had rifles. He still doesn't know where is bow is as of yesterday evening. What's bad is that Air Namibia's planes were newer, cleaner, had better food, and the staff on board was great both ways.

I really wish there were some way to avoid JBurg entirely without using Air Namibia out of Frankfurt.

Maybe we all start lobbying Delta to put on a flight straight into Namibia. It seems that interest in hunting there is growing more and more. I say that because of the number of posts here about going there to hunt and hunt reports. Nothing scientific on my part just observation.

JG I'm glad you remembered that twenty $$ can move mountains in Joberg.

Ah, musical planes. Nothing like flying in Africa.

Air Botswana took us on an unscheduled tour to save some money on flying two planes that particular day. It took a few hours out of the day light driving time, which is what really pissed me off.
If I had not been trying to get anywhere that day I would have been pleased to have the milk run tour of northern Botswana.

TIA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you