Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA-Life Member, NWTF,SCI
Hunted
USA-MO,TN,IL, South Africa
In September I will be archery hunting Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog
in South Africa.
What is a good broadhead to use I shoot a Mission-Venture @60lbs.

PBPD83

Woah, watch out - you are going to get lots of answers/recommendations on this one. :)

Something sharp and straight with no gimmicks that is tuned to your bow. Enough said.

My best answer - a sharp one.
You should get a lot of opinions on this one. There is a lot of good designs out there. Penetration is improved when you use a cut on impact type broadhead. There are some out there that have adopted new technologies that allow improve blade sharpness as much as 25% from just a few years ago. Replaceable blades are great for someone who either does not have the ability or time it takes to sharpen a broadhead. Then there is aerodynamics. Some heads fly better than others due to design. A well tuned bow with proper spine-matched arrows will go a long ways toward good broadhead flight.

Tip:All else being equal... most broadheads will fly better with a heavier / stiffer arrow.
Just for the record I like the G5 outdoors striker.

My best answer - a sharp one.Tip:All else being equal... most broadheads will fly better with a heavier / stiffer arrow.

I have found the same. I have my best luck right at the top end of reccomended spine or just slightly heavier. My broadheads seem to tune and group better.

What I would recommend is the one that you have been using for hunting already. If you have the confidence in that BH and you have prior experience with taking animals with this head and have been pleased with the results, then by all means use it. It is not the make or style of BH, it is your confidence in that head and your equipment along with it's sharpness and proper shot placement.

With that being said, I have been shooting a long time, 40+ years, and i have also been a tinkerer for that long, trying and testing out different BH's and accessories. The best flying and best penetrating BH I have found in all those years has been the Smoke Ramcat, a 3 blade fixed head that flies like a dart, is super sharp and cuts some wicked holes. My Warthog, Tsessebe, Impala, Waterbuck and Zebra from 2010 can all attest to that. My 345" 6x7 Elk from Colorado this past Sept can also attest to the effectiveness of the Smoke Ramcat. 2 pass thrus on this 1000# bull elk at 38 yards and 44 yards. It will take one heck of a BH to make me take the Ramcat out of my quiver.

I like G5 and thunderheads.

I'm going in late June and using 125 Muzzy MX 3s???

Those 125 MX3's will be great.....really great. Good choice.

Thanks for all the information. I have bow hunted off and on since 1975 and have shot at 4 deer but have yet to harvest anything. I have been a Quadriplegic since 1969. At age 60 I get to go on my first safari and have chosen to use a bow. I currently use Spitfire 3 blade mechanical. But I don't want to take a chance of something going wrong so I was looking at a fixed blade, possible Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade. I hope to post some photos after September.

I am not a bowhunter but I do wish you well on your hunt. Go get 'em! You will love it!

You have been at it since 1975. Talk about perseverance! Good for you finding the challenge of archery. Don't be afraid to ask more questions. This forum is full of experienced people that will offer their advice to help you obtain your goal. Best of luck.

Those Muzzy 3 blades would be a good choice. Get them tuned and you won't be disappointed.

nd

PBPD83, what outfit and when are you going for your first safari? Sounds like your dedication to this sport will serve you well on your first safari. I am going to throw another BH into the equation, a Smoke Ramcat. The 125 grain comes in with a 1 1/2" cutting diameter. 3 blade fixed head that flies like a dart, is razor sharp and cuts some wicked holes. I used the 100 grain on my trip over in 2010 and took 5 animals with them. they are going with me on my lion hunt in Sept.

I have 3 favorite broad head makers. Slick Trick, Magnus and German Kinetics.
There are other good ones too, but these 3 I feel 100% confident about all the time.
I am going to use 175 grain Xbow Tricks on my bow when I shall hunt PG this year.

I use a Bowtech Destroyer 340 at 70lbs and 31" DL.

My favourite 3 aswell!!!

My best always.

Any solid fixed broadhead would be great for you. I would steer clear of "rage" and other mechanical heads but that is just me and some bad experience talking.

PBPD83 - I knew you would get lots of advise here. I let my husband, Stretch, figure all that out for me. He has been bowhunting forever, and I have only been bowhunting for 2 years. There are so many choices out there, but I think you have chosen well.
I have great respect for you to continue bowhunting for so long. I wish you the greatest luck in Africa and will wait to see some awesome pictures in September.

Thanks, I know even if I dont get anything I will breing back a lifetime of memories.
PBPD83

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg