First Africa hunt - first buffalo (I hope)

Wapiti57

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, PF, RMEF, DU
Hunted
USA, Canada, Zimbabwe
Leaving the U.S. at the end of September headed for Zimbabwe to attempt buffalo, plains game and birds.

Buffalo is priority one. Been shooting the CZ .416 Rigby and getting mentally and physically ready for long days, lots of miles and great fun with Ian Glass and the African Hunting Company (think that is the right name). Excited, scared and all that. I would guess every newbie goes through it. I've been hunting my entire life, and didn't think anything could top the adrenaline rush of a big black bear climbing the tree you happen to be sitting in, but I'm guessing Africa will blow that away.

Any and all advice is much appreciated in advance.

Best advice is HAVE FUN!!!!

Keep shooting especially standing and from shooting sticks. Be in the best shape you can be.

>>mike basically said it all! Take lots of pictures of anything that interests you. That hunt will be over so fast and as you sit back and reflect on things those pictures will bring back memories & things you may want to research.
... I only wish some one would have given me that advice. That is one of the bad things about going yourself as I was busy hunting & not observing as much as I would have liked!! But the trade off is better than not going to AFRICA!!!

Gotta agree with Calhoun . . . you can't take too many photos (hope you had one along when that black bear was coming up the tree to give you a kiss)?

Years ago I rarely took a camera along because I didn't want to be preoccupied with thinking about taking photos rather than giving my full attention to the hunt. I’ve now got so many great pictures in my ‘mind’ only that I truly wish had been captured on film and placed in an album. I’ve found that it’s much easier to share an album full of photos than to share those pictures which exist only in one’s mind. Today I truly value the photos I did capture with a camera as highly as the many trophies I now have hanging on my walls. Besides, the digital cameras in use today don’t require film and are so small they fit in a shirt pocket. Today I can’t find a reason not to have a camera along at all times.

In any event, as an SCI member you will also need a field photo of you with your animal if it scores well and you intend to enter it in the SCI record book.

Thanks! Yes, I actually have photos of the bear at the base of the tree. One upset bruin, that's for sure. I plan to take my Nikon D40 for those opportunities when we're in camp and en route, etc., and a small Canon Powershot for in the pocket/field, etc.

One thing I strongly recommend concerning cameras, if you're using a digital camera, take the memory chip out and keep it on you if the camera is not in your possesion. My camera was stolen from the hotel room after our hunt and all the pictures went with it.

A buffalo is like any other animal, put the first shot in the right place and he will run about 50 yards and die..Keep shooting him as long as you can as he departs is good advise...If you wound him with the first shot then he will run and hide and you may or may not have a charge result, depending on the bulls gene pool, disposition as thats bred into cattle..

If he charges, you cannot out run him, and his head will be swinging back and fourth or his nose pointed at you, you must wait and place your shot in the spine or brain IMO. Once the adrenaline flows he will be hard to stop with a shoulder type shot but you may turn him on ocassion..Some PHs will wait until the last minute and when the bull ducks his head to hook them the will shoot him down between the horns for an instant death..I,personally, don't recommend this unless its a last minute do or die, just the thought of that scares me.

Buffalo charges are the exception, rather than the rule..I have had 3.5 charges and I have probably shot over 150 buffalo. I would rather hunt buffalo than any other animal in this world..I love it..I am not much on shooting elephants or cats, but have no objection to elephant or cat hunting, its just not my thing, buffalo and plainsgame are.

You have enough gun to get the job done either way, and I suppose you have a PH that will step in at that point and assist you in a serious situation, and two guns barking is always a good feeling.

I say these things so that you don't become complacient, and know that they call it dangerous game hunting because it is just that. I have seen post that try to make one believe that DG hunting is not dangerous, but it can be. Those that think not have no experience and no not from whence they come. Each year hunters and PHs both suffer serious injurys, death, and have some hair raising experiences. I see this from one degree to anothe every year in our camps alone. I have had some PH friends seriously injured by buffalo, and personally know others who were killed.

I have never had a paying client that was seriously injured in the last 30 years, although there have been some real close calls, and a couple of them got tossed around a bit....

Go and enjoy your hunt, shoot well and be carefull and keep in mind that your chances of wrecking your car and getting seriously injured or killed are way better than getting hurt hunting..:)

The photo advice is absolutely correct. I took over 500 in two weeks and wish I had taken 5000 (well maybe 1500). You'll have plenty of great "hero" shots, but take them of the more mundane as well. And don't be afraid to have your PH take some of you. Most are very comfortable dealing with cameras and photos, and many have experience with film/video - photos are very easy compared to filming. Shots of the trackers, flora as well as the fauna, lunch, you name it will be an opportunity to relive that adventure over and over again. Enjoy!

One week and counting

Thanks for all the great posts and advice. I'm now one week from U.S. departure and getting pretty excited. My last discussion with our PH was very positive as the season there has been going well. I know the weather will be hot, and I hope the hunting just as hot. Either way, the first trip to Africa will undoubtedly be a life-changing event.

Have an amazing safari! Look forward to hearing all about your trip when you return. Since you'll be hunting in Zimbabwe, I am sure that there are many here who are keenly interested in your impression of the hunting and the country.

Buffalo

Congratulations... buffalo hunt is an awesome experience... enjoy it !!!!

Please bring us later some pics ...that will help us to share your experience ...

:):)

jose

Ian is a good friend of mine and a great PH, you will have a great time with him in Zimbabwe, good luck

Marty

Wapiti,

Let the rifle and you get to know each other damn well , try shooting targets without a shooting bench or a bipod, off shoulder is what you should fire a caliber so classy, may you have a great hunting routine and bag a record Dugga trophy head. Get lots of pics !!

happy Hunting!!

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,