Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
As many of you know I have booked a Sable hunt with Takeri in Zambia. My travel plans are such that I fly into Jo-berg, overnight and then out to Zambia. I have a 15 hr layover. Nice to get some rest and get ready for the rest of the trip. My question is will I need to pick up and declare my firearm or will SAA keep it for the layover? Obviously easier if the airline keeps it, as long as they get it on my outbound flight... Not sure of procedure here. Anyone know for sure? Thanks Bruce

I suspect you'll have to take possession of it and get the required SAP permit but your best bet it to talk with your travel agent and SAA. You may also want to talk with one of the firearm services in Jo'berg.

I am pretty sure since you are entering RSA you will still have to collect then recheck. The only way I would suspect possibly not is if ALL of your "baggage" is checked through to final destination (i.e. Zambia), and you are not taking possession of any of your luggage. Your airline may be able to answer that. I bet if you connect with a rifle permit guru they could shoot you straight.

If all of your baggage is checked through to Zambia, you should not have a problem. The gun will not enter South Africa. If, though, as I suspect, because you are staying overnight and actually entering South Africa, your luggage will too, which means you will need to go through the same procedures as if you were hunting.

Have fun filling out the form Bruce. You know how.
Smile when they ask for a "cold drink."

Well it looks like I will need to take possession of my rifle and clear it for a night in Jo-berg. Which is what I thought. Was hoping the airline kept it so as to reduce paperwork. Oh well. The things we do to be able to hunt with our own rifle. Thanks guys. Bruce

You might ask, if you ship it all the way thru and stay at the transit hotel, is the permit required.

We arrived late on my last trip and SAPS said they were not in the business of storing firearms. If not collected they said they send back to originating flight city/country

I did an overnight in Joberg before going to Port Elizabeth. I booked with Africa Sky, they did the rifle permit, meet and greet at the airport, steak dinner, overnight hotel room, breakfast the next morning, transport to and from the airport and got me checked back in for my outgoing flight. $300. No headaches or worries, I highly recommend this.

I also like African Sky. Sent them an e-mail yesterday and had one from them this AM. Will have it all sorted out shortly. Thanks Bruce

I went through Jo'burg in August this year to Zim, but used Riflepermits.com to get gun transit papers.
When returning through Jo'burg with checked-through luggage and guns, the connecting outbound SAA flight was canceled to the next morning, forcing everybody to stay. Since I traveled with a gun I had to take it through SAPS again (luckily with permits already approved)...
I highly recommend to look into getting assistance, saving time and peace of mind

Look into riflepermits.com. Used by many members who have been extremely satisfied.

Agree with the last 2 post, speak with riflepermits.com

This is one of those situations where Gracy Travel does a great job. They help you with all paperwork ahead of time and walk you through the process and to your hotel. Last time I stayed at City Lodge and it was great and inexpensive. That said I prefer to not overnight in Joberg due to the SA gun paperwork. I do agree that a night of rest before the hunt is good but after doing it both ways I prefer to carry on to my destination if at all possible.
Regards,
Philip

I also have used riflepermits.com, Henry does an amazing job a lot of good info on his site as well.
I stay at the Intercontinential right across the street from Tambo no need for shuttles and Quills restaurant on site is excellent.

Like many others we used henry@riflepermits.com to help us clear customs and the SAP. Good thing we did, our Delta flight left Atlanta about 8:45 last August 8th (the day Delta's computers went down world wide) needless to say there were a lot of hunters on that plane that wound up in JoBurg without any luggage or firearms. Chaos was not the word for it. Riflepermits.com personnel walked us through the whole ordeal and we did get our guns and luggage at the Outfitter's Concession several days later. Contact henry@riflepermits.com he will give you the correct answer to your question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross