AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I am going to try and keep this simple and to the point. I am just looking for good honest feedback from anyone who wants to give it. Can be a guy who has done 10 safaris to a guy looking now to go on his first safari.

Ok here is my the question. Your planning your first hunt to south Africa for plains game. You have narrowed your search down to lets say 3 outfitters and checked on them all. They all check out good and your thinking all 3 can do the hunt you want.

So here is my question and please just put them in the order how you would use them to decide on which of the 3 outfitters you would pick.

1- area to be hunted say. east cape,limpo,northwest,northern cape,natal do you start your search by area is what I am talking about

2- size of areas to be hunted yes all places are fenced for all 3 outfitters

3- quality of lodging be it 3 to 5 star

4 quality of food

5- quality of game.

6- cost of game and day fees.

7- other things to do outside of hunting

If you like just list them by number in the order you think. For me it is

Thanks to anyone who helps me out with this.

For me as a first timer on a budget 6 is by far at the top. Then 2 and 3 are factors but the rest don't have much of an impact. As a beginner it would be hard to judge 5 and the ordering would be 7,4,3 for the others.

5,5,5,2,6,4,3 not exactly what you were asking but thats what I look for.

I have to go with history of my first hunts.
I hunted where the animals were indigenous to the area.

Hunting ALONE
1 and 2 and 5 all equal and are related.

Hunting with Spouse Along
3 and 4

5, (2 & 1 in so much as they influence 5), 6, 7, 3 &4 are the same thing from this side of the ocean.

Hunting ALONE

3 and 4

Can I like this post more than once?

Hunting ALONE

3 and 4

Nice list ... and how did you copy my post before I posted it :)!?

Then I would call you bill to see what you thought.

Number 6 is probably the first thing I look at.....but if the prices are especially low, then (in my experience), the other things, such as 5,4, and 3 are usually substandard as well (I say usually...not always).
For my next safari(s), I'll probably look at #1, then 6, then 4, 3, 5, 2. There are some species that I want to bag and they are only located in certain areas......didn't realize that on my first safari. There is something to be said about good food at the end of a long day, esp. if no game was bagged & everyone is dog tired. I did a mule deer/antelope hunt in Montana several years ago; the outfitter hired an artist who was also an A1 chef to come and be camp "cook"....."cook' was an understatement!!! One night was "Italian night"; the menu consisted of : Veal and chicken parmagian, spaghetti, gnocci, salad, ravioli, chicken piccata.....it was a FEAST!! Another night was "preThanksgiving"; we had turkey with cranberry sauce, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole......it was awesome! As for accomodations, all I need is a clean room & bed and a bathroom (doesn't have to be fancy).....I'm not spending time in my room, unless, of course, #4 is sub par!;) AS for #5, how does one judge that if they haven't hunted Africa before, or even if they have hunted Africa, how do you know the "quality" of game until you've actually seen it (the game)? To me, this is kind of a non issue.
One thing I do look for is updated websites: New videos, photos, blogs, messages, etc. I've seen some websites that haven't been updated it 3-4 years! It certainly doesn't inspire any confidence it me, and I quickly move on, regardless of price or whatever. I do like seeing videos for a number of reasons, but the main one is when you are shooting video of your camp, your animals, staff, or what have you, I feel it is more difficult to "fake" what is being shown (or to build up something that isn't there)......videos of folks at meal time, on hunts, relaxing around a fire, etc...if there is something questionable, I feel that there is going to be something in those videos that will give it away. (or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part).

1,2,5,3,4,6,7 good quality game and room to hunt are the most important to me. As I get older I like a bit of comfort, I also want to try a bit of everything I shoot. Cost I don't worry about if I want it I'll pay for it. As far as other things to do I'm usually by myself so I'm there to hunt. If the wife and sons are with me, I plan a hunt then we plan tourist stuff around it. Last time I took the wife and my youngest son, we hunted, my wife drank wine, relaxed and read a book.

Your planning your first hunt to south Africa for plains game.

As I recall it was:

6 - Most important

2 & 5 Second most important

Nothing else mattered. I would have eaten cold pork & beans out of a can and slept in my clothes on a dirt floor and thought of how fortunate I was to be there.

For me it would be 5, 2, 6, 1, 4, 3, and 7. But I have to agree with Wheels, just being fortunate enough to be there, takes 3 and 4 out of it on most hunts.

2,5,6,3,4,1,& 7 I did other things mostly before the hunt. I just wanted a clean bed, electric(for C-Pap machine) and ok food. We got all three and they were excellent. All other services were excellent also.
We got excellent quality animals at below average prices for daily fees as well as the trophy fees. Took a number of SCI ranked animals. Had a very large property which was owned by the outfitter/PH---A sure plus.

I did find out that we hunted an area that does not have many very large tusked Warthogs. I woul pick a different area for them or Greater Kudu.

5,2,6,4,3,1,7 that is provided cost is reasonably similar between the three outfitters which it seems be the case most of the time.

Wow thanks for all the feed back already. Hope to see some more guys add to the post.

Phil and royal I did not see your picks. Come on now I know you both can count to ten so making a list of 1 thru 7 will be easy. LoL

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the feed back already. Hope to see some more guys add to the post.

Phil and royal I did not see your picks. Come on now I know you both can count to ten so making a list of 1 thru 7 will be easy. LoL

I get confused after five. The whole switching hands things gets me and I lose my place....

I just can't argue with Brickburn's order and am staying the same. And the wife makes a BIG difference! This next trip will be completely different just due to that alone.

Hunting ALONE

3 and 4

Easy, look at Brickburn's and count it twice.

Hard to argue with Brickburn. I think he nailed it. I will try to expand on one of his items: hunting animals were they are indigenous to the area. So billc let me ask you---what are your four top animals that you would like to hunt on your first trip? I think what you pick might help point you in the right direction in regards to what areas to look at closer with regards to your hunt in South Africa.
Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross