Favorite broadheads?!?!

It is good to see that I am at least using what most of you also uses. I do not have much experience with many african species, but I shot plenty of Warthog and Oryx with the Thunderhead 125 gr on our farm in Namibia. It is a allrounder best broadhead like it should be. My latest hunt was with Rage 2 blade and I made a perfect shot on a stalk hunt on a shot of 45 meters. The animal went about 150 meters and the broadhead made real good cut. I also tried another called hartcraft deep cut broadhead on warthog. I was quite satisfied...

I have hunted with a lot of different heads including mechanicals. My favorite is hands down Solid Broadheads. I did shoot Silver Flames on my first trip to Africa and got complete pass thru's on Zebra and Waterbuck (the largest animals I harvested). Solids are what I will be using in Africa next year.

Has anyone used the stricklands helix? They tear whitetail pretty good from what I hear.

I have not. They look interesting though and I may try them out this Fall.

I have heard mixed results from guys who have use the helix. It seems they dont cut as deep as some heads as the meat gets caught up in the area were the blades circle and slows the head down. I myself would not use them in Africa.

Still I am sure the Helix will penetrate as well as or better than any 3 and 4-blade :)
And if bone is hit, the Helix will penetrate better for sure.
If someone is really worried about penetration, they should use the Brown Bear broadhead from Abowyer :)

All with a 100 grain Muzzy

DSC00565.JPG
DSC00635.JPG
DSC00742.JPG
2 Leos.jpg
Kudu 2.jpg
Lechwe 1.jpg
DSC00613.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Mechanical: Rage 2 Blade

Fixed: German Kinetics 2 Blade

On my 3 trips to the RSA the only head I've used has been the Muzzy 3 X 125. It's been good, but not perfect (well, maybe that was me).

From low poundage bows I got passthrues on Kudu, Zebra, and Waterbuc as well as smaller game. I did not get passthrues on a Gemsbok with either of two shots.

Here in Texas I like SlickTrick mags on Whitetail, but don't want the steep blade angle for the heavier game, especially now that my draw weight is limited.

I've read lots about the Muzzy's not flying well. Personally, I've not seen that.

Best of luck to each of you.

For me and since 17 years of bow hunting, I really like the "THUNDERHEAD 100 grain three blades" ALWAYS THREE BLADES (with my PSE 73 POUNDS and at 29 inches draw, that is also important to know the draw and the power of the couple : bow-hunter to take a decision on the brodhead) on all the different type of animal except for the buffalo I used the MAGNUS STINGER.

How did you like the Magnus stinger? Looking at getting these in 125 grain for wildebeest and Zebra

The magnus stinger is a excellent head, I've had great results with the 4 blade it has the the extra cut of a multiple blade head with out the pinch of a head with blades the same length. It's a modern copy basically of the old Bear Razorhead which had a lot of thought and testing put into it. The buzz cut is a poorer choice for penetration. The feral I feel is not really strong enough for buff as I had some bending on eland. Just my 2 cents.

I would take a slicktrick over any muzzy. Steel with stronger shaper blades and flys much better then any alum. body muzzy out of any bow I have ever shot.

They all kill if they are put in the right place though.

well, Ms Lana got her that Ravin Crossbow I was talking about.
The scope on it is already set for 100 gr broadheads going 390+ fps.
This scope is good to 100 yds with known weight and speed.
Would not like to have to change it, even though it isn't difficult.

I would imagine if a 100gr head from a compound bow could kill an eland, I imagine the same going over 390 fps will still be ok. lol.
I have some 100gr muzzys already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross