Favorite Big Bore Rifle

7run

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all I'm new to the site and was looking for a thread on peoples favorite african rifles from there own collection. When i think of safari the guns are a big part of the trip. I have my first trip planned next august and even though its only for plains game i had to have a 416 ruger built.
I got a call from the smith last week that my metal work and bluing was done and it will be in the mail on Monday. For the action i went with a classic fn mauser. the barrel was fit with a 2leaf express sight, swivel band and a banded front sight. For the stock i went with a extra figured bastone walnut. All the wood work was done by me it has two cross bolts with ebony plugs and a ebony forend cap and to add a little flare a skeleton grip cap. I mean whats a trip to Africa without a fancy big bore. Anyway i added a few pics of stock will add pics of the complete rifle when it arrives.

DSCN0777.jpg DSCN0771.jpgDSCN0769.jpg DSCN0770.jpg

Hey 7run, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

Call me what you want, but there is something intoxicating about the big bores and their cartridges.

That .416 Ruger of yours should be able to be built into a nice, neat handy little big bore, for sure.

I like the shape, and look, of your timber, too.
Slim and straight, way to go.

Keep us up-dated on progress and finished article.

Cheers,
Paul.

Welcome to AH, that is a beautiful piece of wood!

My only Big Bore is a 375 H&H CZ 550, with a Leupold 2.5-8 VIII scope. I would like a double gun, but have other goals right now.

That is impressive.
Built your own stock. That is beautiful work and a very nice choice of blank.
Well, you will have enough gun that is for sure no matter what runs out.
Good luck on your hunt.

I like a .40 calibre big bore, such as the 416 Rem and the 404 Jefferys. The new 416 and .375 Ruger cartridges have a to offer also.

I also cannot imagine living without a 9.3x62 and a .375 H&H.

If I were to pick one for hunting DG in the far places it would be the .416 Rem on a Mauser 98 action.

If I were limited to Buff, Lion, and the big bears the 9.3x62 or .375 would be my choice.

If I were limited to one double rifle then it would be the 450-3.25.

I could and have changed my mind on this subject no less then 41 million times in the last 50 years.

just a update the 416 ruger is done... Its been a process but she is beautiful.

DSCN0796.jpg DSCN0797.jpg DSCN0795.jpg

Looks like a fine piece of timber and this should be a great gun for your African safari...

That is very beautiful rifle....congradulations! The 416 Ruger is great hunting caliber!

Very, very nice !
It must be a good feeling having done some of the job yourself.
When I grow up I will try it too. ;)
Hope you have a nice hunt in august.

I like a .40 calibre big bore, such as the 416 Rem and the 404 Jefferys. The new 416 and .375 Ruger cartridges have a to offer also.

I also cannot imagine living without a 9.3x62 and a .375 H&H.

If I were to pick one for hunting DG in the far places it would be the .416 Rem on a Mauser 98 action.

If I were limited to Buff, Lion, and the big bears the 9.3x62 or .375 would be my choice.

If I were limited to one double rifle then it would be the 450-3.25.

I could and have changed my mind on this subject no less then 41 million times in the last 50 years.

Ray,

I have commiitted myself to buying a double rifle in .450 3 1/4" calibre more or less on sentimental considerations. I had been considering buying a .404 Jeffery but succumbed to the attraction of a double barrel hammerless rifle in a calibre that enjoyed a very good reputation as a dangerous game cartridge in iis heydays.

I wonder if you could tell us something about the .450 NE 3 1/4" cartridge.

Regards.

Beautiful Piece of Wood and Great workmanship enjoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg