Favorite .375 bullet for Buffalo?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm interested in what bullet (i.e. manufacturer/weight/style..FMJ, SP, etc) you prefer out of a .375 H&H for hunting cape buffalo. While I am interested in everyone's opinion (who has one......an opinion, that is;)), as am particularly interested in P.H.'s and those who guide for cape buffalo hunts....my presumption is that they have seen a LOT (if just about all) when it comes to this caliber and cape buff.
Also, I have heard of "first a soft point, followed by solids".......is this typical?
As always, thanks to all............................

Can't go wrong with a Swift A-Frame. Soft then a solid if you need it. Want as much damage to the organs as possible, the more it bleeds inside and out the better.

Good question Mr. 16 Gauge,

Count my vote as +1 with hunthardsafaris on the Swift A-Frame (300 grain) for that all-important first shot on buffalo, then flat nose solids (also 300 gr) for any follow-up shots, if necessary.

Perhaps I should not vote since I have only shot one buffalo in my life and it was in fact, not with a .375 H&H.

Nonetheless, I am impressed by what I have seen A-Frames do on non-dangerous game, in various calibers and bullet weights.

Also, of the PHs I have discussed bullets with (every chance I get), 100% so far speak very highly of the A-Frame, for use in repeaters and single shots but, reportedly they do not always regulate well in each and every double rifle.

Last but not least, to quote PH and co-owner of Duke Safaris, John Luyt:
"I have never seen an A-Frame fail."

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Can't go wrong with a Swift A-Frame. Soft then a solid if you need it. Want as much damage to the organs as possible, the more it bleeds inside and out the better.
Do you have a prefered bullet weight? Also, I can't seem to find a Swift in FMJ/solid configuration. I went to the Swift website, and I didn't see ANY .375 bullets listed in either the A frame or Scirrocco sections of the website (I did find some .375 A frames in various bullet weights on various reloading websites, however.....but still no solids).

Perhaps I should not vote since I have only shot one buffalo in my life and it was in fact, not with a .375 H&H.
Nope............everyone's experience counts; what you've seen and experienced counts just as much!(y)

300gr A-Frames. They don't make a solid as far as I know. I have used Norma solids with no problem.

I used a 375 from Hornady with bullet DGX 300 gr or from RWS with bullet UNI CLASSIC 19,5g/301g.
I never had to use bullet FMJ.
Witold

My PH recommended 300 grain Barnes bullets and I had great results with buffalo.

I have used Barnes, A-Frame and Hornady DGS. Swift is excellent, Barnes is exceptional. Had issues with the Hornady.

TBBC is also a heck of a bullet.

Swift A frame.....

My PH recommended 300 grain Barnes bullets and I had great results with buffalo.

+1 on the Barnes tsx. I found it to be devastating. And followed up with a Barnes solid that had pretty much the same POI made a nice combination. I ended up using Barnes because they shot the best out of my gun though.

Now on any new gun I start with Barnes and see if something else can beat it.

My buff died with one shot through the heart with a 300 grn. TSX. If you put it where it belongs, almost any bullet will work. But just an inch or two off and you need a well constructed bullet that performs consistently. Barnes does that well. My P.H. said LAST bullet solid (4th) everything else barnes tsx. He has a passion for hunting Buffalo.

I used a 300 grain TSX at 2830 fps from my .375 RUM on my buffalo. It performed flawlessly.

Anyone have extensive experience with Hornady factory ammo? I just sighted in my 375 Ruger guide rifle with factory 270 gr ammo.

havent hunted buffalo yet (will in September). but ill be using either a Swift A-frame or a Barnes TSX. if i was going to use a 375 id use a 300gr bullet.

according to my PH, if using the Barnes TSX then there is no need for solids. the TSX will penetrate plenty on its own.

it should be noted that Swift is now making a solid. you will have to email/call them to ask about availability.

-matt

Anyone have extensive experience with Hornady factory ammo? I just sighted in my 375 Ruger guide rifle with factory 270 gr ammo.
I used Hornady 400 gr DGX (soft points) in .404 Jeffery for a buffalo hunt last year.

I tested the rifle on some other game first (new gun) and found that after a while, I was getting jamming - the bullets wouldn't load properly. After some time trying to figure out what the problem was, my PH noticed that the bullets from the magazine were shorter than those from my cartridge belt. There seemed to be a seating issue with the bullets.

When I got back from Africa I sent Hornady an e-mail outlining the problem and the lot number. They got back to me promptly, and were very polite, but told me they looked at the ammo and found no fault. All I know is that I had this problem - should likely have kept a "short" bullet to prove the point, but found a hippo (and a problem giraffe) and ended up using it all.

This year going again with a .416 Rigby and have ample supplies of 400 gr Barnes TSX.

I used Hornady 400 gr DGX (soft points) in .404 Jeffery for a buffalo hunt last year.

I tested the rifle on some other game first (new gun) and found that after a while, I was getting jamming - the bullets wouldn't load properly. After some time trying to figure out what the problem was, my PH noticed that the bullets from the magazine were shorter than those from my cartridge belt. There seemed to be a seating issue with the bullets.

When I got back from Africa I sent Hornady an e-mail outlining the problem and the lot number. They got back to me promptly, and were very polite, but told me they looked at the ammo and found no fault. All I know is that I had this problem - should likely have kept a "short" bullet to prove the point, but found a hippo (and a problem giraffe) and ended up using it all.

This year going again with a .416 Rigby and have ample supplies of 400 gr Barnes TSX.

Sounds like the loads weren't crimped and needed to be. The rounds down in the magazine got slammed against the front of the box when the one in the chamber was fired.

I agree. Part of the fault lies with the rounds, but also with the magazine - it should have been made to fit the cartridges correctly, in which case they wouldn't have moved (enough) to cause the seating problem.

I'm interested in what bullet (i.e. manufacturer/weight/style..FMJ, SP, etc) you prefer out of a .375 H&H for hunting cape buffalo. While I am interested in everyone's opinion (who has one......an opinion, that is;)), as am particularly interested in P.H.'s and those who guide for cape buffalo hunts....my presumption is that they have seen a LOT (if just about all) when it comes to this caliber and cape buff.
Also, I have heard of "first a soft point, followed by solids".......is this typical?
As always, thanks to all............................

No experience with buff, but if I was going with a .375H&H it would be in order of preference:

1. North Fork Bonded Core with their flat point solids. Expensive yes. But I have a slight preference due to lower pressure over my 2nd choice.

2. Swift A-Frames

3. Barnes TSX

I'd be using 300gr versions in all 3.

I agree. Part of the fault lies with the rounds, but also with the magazine - it should have been made to fit the cartridges correctly, in which case they wouldn't have moved (enough) to cause the seating problem.

How much clearance is there?

I'd have to dig it out of the safe and figure it out . . . and running out. I will try to get at it when I get back. But I think too much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!