Favorite .308 caliber

The more I consider and compare other calibers the better I get to know and appreciate the 30-06.

I originally focused on 150gr bullets but, since reading a number of posts here, I am very interested in 200gr and up. The SD on the 200, its trajectory etc. all make it a wonderful round. You have to go way up in bullet weight with larger calibers to match the SD of a 30-06. I guess the '06 lacks frontal diameter compared to some larger rounds. However, I have ordered 220 core-lokt to try out this fall as I suspect the wound channel will be great. And, I am giving serious thought to using a premium 200gr bullet (if I can find a factory load) and changing the planned PG hunt to an eland hunt.

The round just seems to create possibilities despite moderate recoil.

The gun is a 25th anniversary A-Bolt with octagonal barrel. I seem to be the limiting factory when it comes to accuracy :whistle:.

Nicholas Barcomb, 240gr at 2489 fps is an impressive load what is the trajectory like?

Pheroze, stick with that gun, you will not be disappointed in the least. I personally like heavy for caliber bullets. It still shoots relatively flat and delivers a knockout punch.

Well. After owning so many rifles over years, I scoffed at a 06 and never owned one. My son and I went to Limpopo in May, he with a 06 that he purchased without mentioning it to me and I with a 338 06. His were one shot kills using Barnes 168 tsx. Modest recoil, very accurate, 2750 fps moderate load. So... I just had a 30 06 put together for my next trip to SA. Rem 700 action trued, timney trigger,custom Rock Creek cut rifled barrel with a chamber custom reamed for a barnes bullet in a mcmillan stock. With scope right at 7.25 lbs. sweet......the versatility of a 30 06 is underrated by many, including myself, until they see what it can do. By the way the Nosler 220 gr at 2450 fps with RL 22 was very accurate, in my sons factory 700, less than 1/2 inch three shot groups, never tried the 200 gr., you will be pleased with that 100 yr old antique cartridge:)

There was a bumper sticker about 30 years ago, on a vehicle or two in Anchorage that read:

"You can't go wrong with a .30-06, Jesus Saves and The IRS wants YOU."

I've never had a bumper sticker but if I was to change my mind, that one would've been one to consider.

I have to say, "I love my 300 wsm!!" It's a stainless Remington 700 barreled action. RedHawk Rifles, fluted and installed a brake on the barrel, spiral fluted the bolt, skeletonized the bolt and polished the slides. Also installed a Bell and Carlson Carbon lite stock. With a Leupy VX3 3.5-10 she weighs in at a hair under 7.5 lbs. Barnes 180 gr. TTSX's over 69 grs. of IMR 4831 gives me 3100 fps and consistently prints under 2 inches at 300 yards. Sometimes an inch if I do my part. Best part about this rig is it cost under $2300 all in with QD rings and mounts. :) Kevin

sounds really nice. I would love to see a picture!

I would love to. Is there a section here that tells how to post photos?(n) Kevin

Big fan of the classic .300 h&h. I have my dad's old pre '64 model 70 Winchester and my own Remington 700 classic. Hoping to find a Ruger no.1 too. Love that smooth, easy feeding and exceptional accuracy.

Pheroze, I haven't killed anything with that round yet, save maybe the 2" diameter oak that was behind the backstop when I was load testing it. Anyway, on target to 100 yards it shoots MOA, so very happy with it and will more than likely not use it past 200 yards. The BC according to Woodleigh is .401 and the you need to have at least a 1:11 twist for stabilization, although some sources would say a 1:9.5 is optimum. In order to figure out the drop, use this link:
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

In order to post pictures:
1) Sign up on www.photobucket.com and load up your library with photos.
2) Find the picture you want to post on your photobucket library and click on the box with the url for the image that is to the immediate right of the picture.
3) Remove the actual url listing, but leave the text code with the in front and rear of the text code.
4) After you post reply, there should be a picture of what you intended in your post, if not, edit and try again until one does.

This is what works for me, there may be another way on here that I don't know about. Good luck and stay safe.

Here she is. I've killed quite a few whitetails with it. She'll be going to the Eastern Cape this coming April, Lord willing. Kevin
1412353601091.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a killing machine Woods!

I have had eight 30 cal rifles. My current one is a beautiful new Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 300 Win Mag.
My very favourite tho' is the 300 Weatherby. It is no longer the fastest, but I believe it is the best.

I am guessing that I would not surprise anyone here by saying that my favorite 30 cal is the 7.82 Warbird! I load it up with 210 grain Bergers at 3249fps.
image.jpg

I've known dozens of friends, dads and gramps who swear by the .06. I've never lived anywhere where I hunted that warranted such a rifle but wouldn't hesitate in the least to buy a rifle in that caliber.

For me the usefulness of a caliber also takes into account availability of ammo. A side factor but factor it is nonetheless.

9 year old zombie thread but since it's been resurrected I'm casting a vote for 300H&H. It's my favorite but if I could only have one .30 cal rifle I'd have to go with 30-06. The performance difference between 300H&H and 30-06 is almost nil but the '06 is more ubiquitous and it likes very light bullets slightly better than the Super 30. Both do extremely well with medium and big bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.