Fallow Deer

Calhoun

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
... I would really like to add a Fallow Deer to my collection of animals. I think the prices in the States are way to steep! I see outfitters in Africa with prices about 1/8 - 1/4 the price as in the States> I have also been told that most of the Fallow Deer in Africa aren't much compared to other places in the world.. Any thoughts..comments!!

Africas Fallow Deer are not the best trophy quality that I have seen, not by a long shot...but the Fallow deer is one of the least desirable trophies that I have hunted, at least IMO..I have shot a number of them all over RSA..

info

Hi, yes in the RSA there are many fallow deer, they have actually become a pest and spread all over into most farms. The quality is not that great but you do get a few big ones. I have seen monsters in Eastern Europe if thats what u want.

I am going to look for one next year on an RSA. But I am going to be very Picky.

... I would really like to add a Fallow Deer to my collection of animals. I think the prices in the States are way to steep! I see outfitters in Africa with prices about 1/8 - 1/4 the price as in the States> I have also been told that most of the Fallow Deer in Africa aren't much compared to other places in the world.. Any thoughts..comments!!

Calhoun,

We've got great access to Fallow Deer here in south eastern Bavaria. Just an hour across the border the Czech outfitters are making a good show of multi species hunts. The accomodations are first class and the game is truly remarkable. In Germany there are what we refer to as "border" hunts, along the old East/West Germany border, and the Czech border. During the Cold War these lands were never managed for game hunting by the West German Bundesforst, due to the proximity to the border buffer zones. They have since opened with some enterprising land owners and game companies securing large reveres for hunting. The Fallow Deer really took hold in these areas during the cold war as well as the Sika deer. Hunts in these areas are really affordably priced and very well ran. Truthfully it's one of the last "value" venues for guided hunts in the country. I have personally hunted in the Neustadt (Germany) area two years ago and in the Cheb (Czech) area last year. A great expereince all around.

Americans also have the option of hunting with the Bundesforst based out of the American military facility at Grafenwohr Germany. (The largest US Army base in Germany) You can apply for a temporary hunting license and schedule a guided hunt thru the Bundesforst for Fallow Deer, Sika Deer, Roe Deer, Wild Boar, and Red Deer (Graf has the largest concentration of Red Deer in Germany). Through the US Military exchange program you could be guided by an American hunter working with the German Forestry service.

Besides we've got far better Beer than the RSA could ever offer you!

...Macs B... I never even considered Europe for hunting Fallow Deer! I will definitely keep that in mind! I'll take your word for the beer , but I sure enjoy an ice cold Castle any time.. Its better than my Budweiser!! Plus I'm within reach of more African trophies when I 'm drinking Castle as that stuff doesn't make it to the States!!

...Macs B... I never even considered Europe for hunting Fallow Deer! I will definitely keep that in mind! I'll take your word for the beer , but I sure enjoy an ice cold Castle any time.. Its better than my Budweiser!! Plus I'm within reach of more African trophies when I 'm drinking Castle as that stuff doesn't make it to the States!!

You disappoint me, we don't even need the ice!

It has been 20 years since i last visited Grafenwohr during my germany tour. At that time they had absoultly huge red deer, great fallow deer and giant hogs. There was game every where. we even had a sow with piglets chase us up onto our track. She ran around it a few times grunting. She then gathered her babies up and took off.

I spent alot of time patrolling the border between east/west germany and czech rep. There are big forest, rugged mountains and little farms. looks like a great place to hunt.

It has been 20 years since i last visited Grafenwohr during my germany tour. At that time they had absoultly huge red deer, great fallow deer and giant hogs. There was game every where. we even had a sow with piglets chase us up onto our track. She ran around it a few times grunting. She then gathered her babies up and took off.

I spent alot of time patrolling the border between east/west germany and czech rep. There are big forest, rugged mountains and little farms. looks like a great place to hunt.

Thunderhead,

You are right about the game, the Bundesforst has been actively growing the herds at Graf while systematically thinning my local herds here in Hohenfels. We did two management hunts for 2-5 year old Red Deer Stag (Rotwild Hirsh) , the numbers were crazy, something like 147 animals in the class 3 and 2B category were taken over a two day period. It didn't even make a dent in the population. I've taken family and friends on hunts in that area for both Red Deer and Fallow Deer. The numbers are way up, the winters have been kind to the calves these last four years.

You wouldn't believe what Germany has become since you were here. Graf is now the largest Army facility in the country, 5+ Brigades, huge PX, commissary like stateside. You wouldn't recognize the place. If you were a DAT (dumb ass tanker) then you’ll be glad to know the railhead club is still in Vilseck, range 301 is still a mud hole, and yes the hard barracks at Aacken are still nasty. The rest of the place has had a bit of a billion dollar sprucing up. I’m a former Red Catcher from 4/2 ACR back in those days. We certainly saw a lot of the same terrain. Good to hear from you brother. Keep Safe.

...Macs B... Plus I'm within reach of more African trophies when I 'm drinking Castle as that stuff doesn't make it to the States!!

Got just two words for you Calhoun "Kreuzberg Beer". Brewed by fat little German monks on the same mountaintop for the last 1300 years. It's safe to say they got it figured out by now!

I have been to Hohenfels too. I was stationed in Bindlach up near Grafenwer (not sure of the spelling anymore). I visited both on either gunnery outings or some other maneuver.
The barracks are a bad memory long forgotten. Its good to remember the old times.

>>Macs ... that sounds pretty good! Considering I came back down with my platelet disorder & had Chemo in end of March and into April and have been alcohol free since! My count is back to normal & if all goes well I'll be off all medicine in 17 days!! I can't wait to tip a couple BEERS!!! As far as the Fallow Deer I would love to try that in the future- Have to talk the wife into that one ..Easier said than done!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross