Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
I thought I would share with you my success last night in taking this nice Fallow buck. He wont make a medal but is a very nice representative head from here in England. I have some big bucks running round on the estate, and he was the smallest of bachelor herd he was in. There are the 4 main varieties of Fallow on the estate, and we are trying to cull out the darker varieties to leave the most familiar brown with white spots ones. These varieties occur naturally within the gene pool and are not the result of captive breeding variations. They are wild and free roaming.
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG
IMG_2147.JPG

In this picture you can see the result's of my last week stalking. Here you can really compare in size the smallest of our deer species, Muntjac, to one of our larger species, Fallow.

IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG

There is a high amount of deer on the estate causing a lot of damage to the bio-diversity of our ecosystems, due to the grazing pressure on local flora. In this picture I have put a red line across to mark a browse line. This is essentially the level at which the deer feed up to from ground level.

IMG_2081.JPG

As you can see there is no green growth bellow the browse line and indicates a high population of deer in the area. The browse line can also be a very good indicator of what species of deer are present. The 6 deer species we have are all of different height's and so each will have a different height at which they browse. We are currently culling around 200 deer a year off the estate, but this is still not enough to cull the population to an acceptable level.

Looks like a blast. I've often contemplated going to England on a hunt. It's just super expensive IMO. Would be a hoot though and what a beautiful place.

Looks like a blast. I've often contemplated going to England on a hunt. It's just super expensive IMO. Would be a hoot though and what a beautiful place.

Gizmo,

I am very curious as to why you think its super expensive? This is not a criticism of you comment but England is by far the cheapest destination in Europe to hunt. I would hate to think someone has been trying to rip you off with overly inflated prices. If you would prefer PM me what you have been quoted and ill do my best to help you.

That browse line looks just like what we get with too many whitetails! Near our lake house, it got to the point a couple years ago where we had all these little maple trees completely stripped of bark, some 15' tall or more. All the way up, naked trees. Figured out it was the grey squirrels! Nothing else left to eat.

I guess too many ladies switched to squirrel proof bird feeders? And I think the deer eat up all the acorns.

I've heard of guys cutting poplar trees down in winter to let the deer feed on the tops, if they leave it crack down with a strip still attached, the tree will stay alive for a while so the buds and little twigs stay succulent. Had a guy tell me the deer will come running in when they hear the chainsaw! Then hang back waiting for him to clear out.

I am positive that at some point I will want to come hunt England and combine it with more touring of your grand old Country. And my wife will be excited about it so that means it can happen.

Please keep posting and tell us more about your area and other attraction around. What kind of accommodations are available and why not post some pricing details? Rather than offering to try to beat the other guy, step up with an offer.

Oh and when is the season for hunting the various deer species there?

Thanks for sharing your hunt and the photos.

All the best.

Looks like you have a lot of work to do to get the deer population down to a reasonable level on that estate.

Quite amazing to see the difference in the deers size in a photo side by side.

Thanks for sharing.

Any Outfitter can post Hunting Offers here. *

Reminded me of another over population of deer photo.

kaibab 1918.jpg

Heck, I'm ready to go!

I have a hunting friend west of UKHunter over in Wimborne and another in Scotland, plus a few more scattered around. When not hunting I'd jump on a train and see some country.

It'd be a little different type of hunt for me but it's definitely on the list!

Heck, I'm ready to go!

I have a hunting friend west of UKHunter over in Wimborne and another in Scotland, plus a few more scattered around. When not hunting I'd jump on a train and see some country.

Jeff, I have been thinking of adding a few days onto a trip to Africa and getting some European hunting in. As many international trips as you make per year this sounds right down your alley.

Jeff, I have been thinking of adding a few days onto a trip to Africa and getting some European hunting in. As many international trips as you make per year this sounds right down your alley.

Yes sir, I had quite a run in Africa last year and really have nothing planned there currently. I'm just lurking in the shadows awaiting that special deal that may pop up!

I believe a hunting and sightseeing trip to the UK would be enlightening. I see it as a more laid back hunt where I'd not be quite so focused on collecting trophies as much as just taking in the old country atmosphere.

It really looks as though Tom could use some help with his culling efforts! How large is the estate you mention Tom? Is it the primary property that you hunt?

Chaps,

Sorry if it seemed that I was slagging off other outfitters who have offered you a hunt. I am not an outfitter, nor tied to an outfitter and do not offer paid stalking. The estates I stalk on do not offer paid stalking and belong family friends of mine.

I was merely trying to help out Gizmo. I am more than willing to assist anyone who wants to come stalking here in England. I would be able to point you to people who offer paid stalking and assist in anyway I can on things to do, the best areas of the country to stalk for different species etc.

The U.K. deer seasons are:

Red Stags Aug 1st - Apr 30th
Hinds Nov 1st - Mar 31st

Sika Stags Aug 1st - Apr 30th
Hinds Nov 1st - Mar 31st

Fallow Bucks Aug 1st - Apr 30th
Does Nov 1st - Mar 31st

Roe Bucks Apr 1st - Oct 31st
Does Nov 1st - Mar 31st O

Chinese Water Deer Bucks Nov 1st - Mar 31st
Does Nov 1st - Mar 31st

That browse line looks just like what we get with too many whitetails! Near our lake house, it got to the point a couple years ago where we had all these little maple trees completely stripped of bark, some 15' tall or more. All the way up, naked trees. Figured out it was the grey squirrels! Nothing else left to eat.

I guess too many ladies switched to squirrel proof bird feeders? And I think the deer eat up all the acorns.

I've heard of guys cutting poplar trees down in winter to let the deer feed on the tops, if they leave it crack down with a strip still attached, the tree will stay alive for a while so the buds and little twigs stay succulent. Had a guy tell me the deer will come running in when they hear the chainsaw! Then hang back waiting for him to clear out.

I am positive that at some point I will want to come hunt England and combine it with more touring of your grand old Country. And my wife will be excited about it so that means it can happen.

Please keep posting and tell us more about your area and other attraction around. What kind of accommodations are available and why not post some pricing details? Rather than offering to try to beat the other guy, step up with an offer.

Oh and when is the season for hunting the various deer species there?

Depending on where you hunt and your budget, you could stay in castles and stately homes to pubs and B&B's. As for attractions that is also dependent on location, however, we are a small island and getting around is relatively quick by plane or car to see the country.

just dreaming here , ukhunter
what would it cost for a roe deer and chinese water deer hunt in England?
could you do a muntjac aswell ,at that time of the year ?

Heck, I'm ready to go!

Jeff,

Why not take the train between hunting destinations? You would see a large amount of the country.

Yes sir, I had quite a run in Africa last year and really have nothing planned there currently. I'm just lurking in the shadows awaiting that special deal that may pop up!

I believe a hunting and sightseeing trip to the UK would be enlightening. I see it as a more laid back hunt where I'd not be quite so focused on collecting trophies as much as just taking in the old country atmosphere.

It really looks as though Tom could use some help with his culling efforts! How large is the estate you mention Tom? Is it the primary property that you hunt?

Jeff,

The primary property is 2,500 acres, situated right next to a 10,000 + acre forest. There is a very high population of deer in the area. I would also mention that there is no fenced hunting areas in England, all deer are wild and free roaming to go as they please. However, you can shoot park deer. This is essentially driving into a fenced field and shooting your buck.

I also stalk a 2,300 acre farm with primarily Roe and Muntjac with the occasional Fallow passing through.

Our family spent two weeks driving around England and Scotland last summer and had a fantastic time. I asked about trying to work in a couple of days hunting and was completely shamed. I was told this is family time and not to be selfish. "You can hunt on your own time".

Stopping for a hunt in the UK on my way to/from Africa sounds like my time.

just dreaming here , ukhunter
what would it cost for a roe deer and chinese water deer hunt in England?
could you do a muntjac aswell ,at that time of the year ?

It depends on whether you want to do a cull stalk for young bucks and does or try and shoot a trophy.

I would suggest that you go and check out: www.stalkingdirectory.co.uk - it is a stalking forum for hunters in the UK. There is a section in which outfitters publish hunting offers. Have a look through for a general idea. If you want and specific recommendations I can name a few, I would recommend.

I would say that shooting a trophy is a lot harder than in Africa. No deer are fenced in and are truly wild. You cant come expecting to shoot 6 trophys in a week, however with a good outfitter and good ground your chances are good!

Jeff,

Why not take the train between hunting destinations? You would see a large amount of the country.

That is my exact intention Tom!
I believe I could dedicate a couple of weeks or so to this trip and combine hunting and sightseeing for a great time.

It depends on whether you want to do a cull stalk for young bucks and does or try and shoot a trophy.

I would suggest that you go and check out: www.stalkingdirectory.co.uk - it is a stalking forum for hunters in the UK. There is a section in which outfitters publish hunting offers. Have a look through for a general idea. If you want and specific recommendations I can name a few, I would recommend.

I would say that shooting a trophy is a lot harder than in Africa. No deer are fenced in and are truly wild. You cant come expecting to shoot 6 trophys in a week, however with a good outfitter and good ground your chances are good!

Thanks for all of the good information. I will get back with you later this year as plans fall into place.

Isn't this website great. The collective wisdom here is incredible. The willingness of people to share, fantastic!

All the best.

That is my exact intention Tom!
I believe I could dedicate a couple of weeks or so to this trip and combine hunting and sightseeing for a great time.

Let me know if you want any help planning, ideas on where to go or reviews of potential outfitters if i know of them. Prehaps we could even go for a pint down a pub when your over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you