Factory ammunition for .375 H&H?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by timbear, Sep 15, 2011.

1. timbear

timbear AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SSAA, NZDA
    Hunted:
    Germany, NZ, Australia
    Unlike most on this forum, I have not done much reloading of hunting ammunition. Is it really necessary to have handmade ammo for a .375 H&H? I use .270 gr Federal softpoints on Australian game, and think they would do for any African PG, but what about DG? Are there factory rounds suitable for buffalo hunting (I don't think I will hunt elephant any time soon)? It just seems a bit pointless to do a job by hand that can be done by professionals with the right equipment just as well. I already churn out about 400 rounds of .38 specials a week for my other hobby, Western Action Shooting (would be completely unaffordable with store bought ammo), but the 50 or so rounds a year I put through the .375 are not going to break the bank either way, particularly as the Federals retail at AUD 49.- per 20. Please, I know it's another cat among the pigeons, but input would be very much appreciated.
  2. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    i dont reload at all so have used factory ammunition on all my hunts, and have never had a problem. the federal ammunition in 300 gr soft and solid will be fine for your buffalo. just check they all cycle smoothly through the action before you leave for the hunt and enjoy
  3. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada
    Absolutely not - particularly with all the premium loads available these days. I like the 300s (particularly the TSX) if buffalo are on the list. They also shoot flat enough for most PG situations you'll face (out to 250 yards there is little meaningful trajectory difference between them and a 270 gr bullet). I would stay away from some of the cheaper SPs for an actual buffalo hunt. The last thing you want is core seperation on that critical first shot. But there are some terrific factory loads with premium bullets, and I can almost guarantee you that your rifle will like one of them. Save them for you African hunt and keep bowling over those Australian boar with those basic Federal SPs.
  4. .416 Rigby

.416 Rigby AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, Dallas Safari Club, African Safari Club, Ruffed Grouse Society, Wild Sheep Foundation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Argentina, United States
    Federal factory loads with either the 300 grain Swift A-Frame or the 300 grain Barnes TSX as softs, Federal factory loaded Barnes 300 grain solids (NOT the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer).
  5. libertarian

libertarian AH Member

Member of:
    NRA Life/Endowment member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Another vote for federal premium here. My rifle really really liked the swift a-frame in 300g, and it's an awesome bonded soft point. The nosler partition didn't shoot quite as well for me, and I've never heard of a trophy bonded bear claw failing. The hornady 270 soft points didn't group quite as well for me but would probably have been fine for plains game. I can't speak about solids however, as I didn't need them for my PG hunt.

Have fun and let us know what worked for you, as I'm already thinking about my buffalo! :)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    +1, Any of those would be a excellent choice for Africa's cape buffalo.
  7. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    I have used Federal Premium 300grs. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for buffalo.

One shot, one kill. Great ammo.
  8. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Tim, we use Federal Premiums loaded with the Barnes T.S.X for all our loan guns.

The work great, shoot straight, cycle and function no problems.

BUT (and consider that I buy a case (10 boxes) per purchase) they now cost in excess of $200 A.U.D per box of 20.

For an Africa buffalo hunt or suchlike where you have a lot resting on the bullet performance then ofcourse the cost is insignificant, but I guarantee you wont be plinking with them !
  9. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    There are many great combinations of hunting ammo out there. You don't hav eto be a reloader to have accurate loads in a gun. Reloading is basically for the tinkerer or the person who does a lot of shooting. I do reload and truly enjoy it, but it's not for everyone.
  10. redriverjake

redriverjake AH Senior Member

Have any of you fellas shot the Norma heavy for caliber 350gr loads ? Thanks